Modest is the Hottest

MorningStar

Are any other areas plagued with these ridculous places my friend calls "slut huts"? I hate them. But I'm so grateful for the places that value modesty. I wonder if they serve hot chocolate? :D Maybe I should just drive through to tell them thank you.

They usually serve hot chocolate. I was never a coffee drinker and could always get cocoa or tea at the espresso places in Seattle. I never saw place where the workers weren't fully clothed. I guess I didn't hang out in the hot parts of town. :lol:

From what I was reading, there are so many espresso stands here, it's very competitive, so people have resorted to "sex sells". There's even a chain called "Cowgirls". They have bikini day, school girl day, etc. These are in just regular parts of town and they make me want to smack someone. I haven't seen these things anywhere else. Supposedly Cowgirls got started when an employee said she was hot and asked to wear a bikini top. Business increased so much, the owner decided she was onto something. :rolleyes:

Guest aldrichnick
Hidden

As per my notion, modernness not looks cool all the time but it reflects an awkwardness when not using them properly. I have various posts and pics in my social network but not all are really awesome but most of them feels me awkward when seen.

I don't disagree that this is inappropriate and isn't LDS standard. That said, my point is that it doesn't help the situation when women use derogatory words like "slut" or "whore", especially when it's acceptable to label women as such by society in general. Let's teach our daughters to love and value themselves, and let's not point fingers at the daughters of God that were not as fortunate to have such positive role models in their lives.

I thought about what you said. At first I thought "whatever! why shouldnt we call a skank a skank", I mean I am careful about not talking like that around my kids, but do I use language like that to describe those kind of people or places? You bet, not often outloud, but I do. Althogh my initial reaction was "whatever" my final conclusion is that agree with you.

I think you are right that I should not be calling anyone derogatory names, it just isn't Chirst like to do so.

In regards to the OP's question, I like to take the moment as a teaching lesson to my kids when I drive by something like that. My kids will even say "those girls shouldnt dress like that" But it is still awkward.

some times a key word will trigger a distant memory. In this case, I remember this one girl, a blond with curly hair no makup always worse a white or other color dress to school. She always went to the library. She was pretty but, I senced she was very conservative. I was conservative also but never went over to talk to her. Then ironicly, a guy I know, who was friendly, asked her out one day. She started seeing him, then invited him to her church. She asked if he could go to the pulpit to say a speach

Latter on, she found out he had been seeing a woman before he met her, and got her pregnant. She dumped him immediately.

I knew this could never work. He had some one of a bad reputation but the brother, wow, he had a worse reputation and had two run ins with me with me being the victim. Anyway, long story short, I think more woman need to dress conservatively. I really like the way woman dressed in the 1950s.

Just to bad woman cannot dress like this these days.

I really like the way woman dressed in the 1950s.

Just to bad woman cannot dress like this these days.

The 50's wasn't all about sweaters and poodle skirts. A huge style during the 50's was halterneck dresses. Not sure that would fit in with modesty.

I did a fashion-throughout-history collage for an art portfolio awhile back. It's interesting how we generalise a specific era with a certain dress standard, especially, when not born in that generation. Pam makes a great point. The fifties was not all sweaters and poodle-skirts. The fifties was a time where women started, though gradually, to celebrate freedoms. Halter tops and high-waisted hot pants became quite the trend among young women and women. Even in the 1700's, where modesty and virtue was greatly emphasised for women, gowns commonly had plunging necklines or off-shoulder slouchy sleeve cuffs. Such dress would not be appropriate for an LDS woman in garments.

Is anyone else out there just not too impressed with the phrase "modest is hottest" in the first place? I mean as a slogan for our young women...

Yes, I agree. For two reasons:

1) Modest isn't hottest (as in sexually alluring), it is more appealing to those grounded in a spiritual mindset.

2) It puts at the forefront the reason for being modest as being it's ability to attract (certain types) of men. While immodest clothing may turn away spiritually minded men, the reason for modesty is not solely (or even primarily) it's ability to appeal to spiritually minded men.

Edited by Dravin

Is anyone else out there just not too impressed with the phrase "modest is hottest" in the first place? I mean as a slogan for our young women...

The phrase exists only because it sort of rhymes when spoken casually by an American. In point of fact, it's laughable -- maybe that's part of its appeal, as well. The idea of "hotness", as in sexually enticing, is of course antithetical to modesty. As Dravin points out, it appeals to those who appreciate certain spiritual qualities, sexual exhibitionism being notably lacking.

Yes, I agree. For two reasons:

1) Modest isn't hottest (as in sexually alluring), it is more appealing to those grounded in a spiritual mindset.

You're taking the position that "hot" (sexually appealing) and "spiritual" are mutually exclusive, I would argue that they're not.

I find the fact that my wife is very spiritual, dresses modestly, wears her garments, and takes the gospel seriously to be very hot. :rockon:

You're taking the position that "hot" (sexually appealing) and "spiritual" are mutually exclusive, I would argue that they're not.

I find the fact that my wife is very spiritual, dresses modestly, wears her garments, and takes the gospel seriously to be very hot. :rockon:

I guess "hotness" depends on the person, whether it be spiritual hotness or carnal hotness.

Where did I state that? From my point of view the following exchange seem analogous to what just occurred:

Me: An apple is not a citrus, but it appeals to those who like fruit.

You: You're taking the position that citrus and fruit are mutually exclusive.

Edited by Dravin

Not so. The question is not one of being sexually appealing, but of being publically sexually enticing. A modest woman may certainly be the former, but by definition strives to avoid being the latter.

Not so. The question is not one of being sexually appealing, but of being publically sexually enticing. A modest woman may certainly be the former, but by definition strives to avoid being the latter.

Enticing may be a better word than alluring, I may use it in the future within this context. I suspect there is going to be a lot of buried connotation in the discussion of this slogan.

I don't think teenage girls are going to take that literally - that they will be sexy if they dress modestly. In this scenario, the whole point is to stick it to these businesses who make money off of degrading women. The message is that self-respect is a much more attractive quality than using our bodies and sex appeal to make money.