Blast from the past! Remember when..

Bini

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bini, You do NOT remember when cigarette ads were aired on TV. They banned that whe I was a child in the 60's.

Bini also didn't say she remembered then. She asked if anyone remembered them.

Something must have changed then, because I distinctly remember Camel commercials when I was growing up, and I was born in 1980.

Maybe you are remembering the reports of the advertising? I remember sometime around that time that Camel was coming under fire for targeting kids with the Camel cartoon. There were alot of 20/20 type reports around that time.

Posted Image

I remember wearing rollers to bed because it was too late to sit up under the hair dryer.

I also remember when black and white TVs were the only choice and TV stations went off the air after the news was over.. My baby sister dropped a closed diaper pin down the back of our B&W TV and shorted something out. Mom refused to get it fixed. Instead she paid us $1 for every book we read. :D

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkFmffROjIEebCESKKjfu44de9dHPtSPCj4H1R3kkTrFvj-v_EwA

I had one of these too.

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVunBxIidCy_aFYhm4zf4u-1OCIS0Mudoqas_LMCNTHSL5YPSm8g

And we listened to music on one of these if we were not in the house or car. Sometimes you had to make sure it was in the correct position to receive the signal from the radio station.

Posted Image

anne, did you actually wear one of these? I did, in grade school. My saddle shoes weren't white though- those are the modern ones. They were tan and brown.

Prisonchaplian, I used the IBM too, but liked the Olivetti better.

Edited by Iggy

Sorry for confusion. Yes, I was referring that I remembered the cigarette commercials. My husband said that I probably recall seeing them on billboards and or in magazines but I swear that I remember seeing them ON TV. That said, it could have been that these cigarette ads were shown on television in other countries.. I spent my childhood overseas.

Remember when POGS were big? Remember slap-on bracelets?