So....Jesus WAS married after all.

bytor2112

Here's my question about Jesus being married.

I know the "hybrid theory" (apologies to Linkin Park) of Jesus' mortal existence is very popular among Latter-day Saints. Considering Jesus to be a two-thousand-year-old Mister Spock is, in my estimation, a mistake. This is one area where our non-LDS Christian friends may have a practical, if not doctrinal, advantage over us: They believe Jesus was fully human. Which he was. No ifs, ands, or buts.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the "hybrid theory" (apologies to Linkin Park) of Jesus' mortal existence is very popular among Latter-day Saints. Considering Jesus to be a two-thousand-year-old Mister Spock is, in my estimation, a mistake. This is one area where our non-LDS Christian friends may have a practical, if not doctrinal, advantage over us: They believe Jesus was fully human. Which he was. No ifs, ands, or buts.

How do you know this? reference?

Edited by carlimac

I thought this might be of interest to some of you on this board.

Harvard historian and professor of divinity Karen L. King says that a 4 by 8 centimeter scrap of papyrus–which experts and linguists so far feel is authentic–mentions Jesus and his wife in Coptic. The New York Times reports:

A historian of early Christianity at Harvard Divinity School has identified a scrap of papyrus that she says was written in Coptic in the fourth century and contains a phrase never seen in any piece of Scripture: “Jesus said to them, ‘My wife …’”

“The faded papyrus fragment is smaller than a business card, with eight lines on one side, in black ink legible under a magnifying glass. Just below the line about Jesus having a wife, the papyrus includes a second provocative clause that purportedly says, “she will be able to be my disciple.

Though scholars may have just rehashed the intense debate about whether or not Jesus had a wife, Twitter reactions are mixed between amazed–author Anne Rice tweeted, “A tiny fragment of a coptic papyrus indicates Jesus had a wife!”–and amused. What does this discovery mean in the context of 2012?:

As to marriage - In my mind there is no higher calling and there is no conflict. Sorry PC but the idea that Jesus had a higher calling to "save" mankind implies he was not capable of focusing on both and accomplishing both - I think is a very weak position and argument. I am surprised that someone would even suggest such a thing?

The Traveler

Tragedies happen, and men die early. However, Jesus knew he would die young to save a world. Can you imagine a man in his mid-20s, who knew that he would die in less than 10 years, thinking, "Yeah, but I can raise kids too?" The Son was focused on redeeming all of God's children. I know arguments from silence are weak, but there is no shred or hint of Jesus' marrying or having children. I agree with the article that Jesus could have, but it just does not seem likely.

How do you know this? reference?

Carlimac... there is only one species of human. God, Jesus, us - we are all the same species. There's no such thing as "hybrid'. There's Spirit and there's Body. There's no "some other species". And that inludes Jesus.

So, I have no clue what your understanding of "half immortal" means!

Reference? Pick any one that talks about the Godhead versus the Trinity.

Abraham 3:24 And there stood one among them that was like unto God, and he said unto those who were with him: We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell;

D&C 93:21 And now, verily I say unto you, I was in the beginning with the Father, and am the Firstborn;

These two scriptures are pretty straightforward. In the pre-mortal existence, Jehovah was like unto God (enough to differentiate himself from the rest of us), and he was the Firstborn. The title Firstborn could mean many things... But my final conclusion is that before any of the rest of our brethren were organized as spirit children, Jehovah was there with the Father and He (Jehovah the pre-mortal Christ) had already obtained a station of god.

How did He get there???

Best answer -- We don't know.

But this answer is not very satisfying. Objectively, I only recognize 2 realistic options.

1) Jehovah was created differently then the rest of us, which imbued his spirit with special qualities.

or

2) Jehovah had experiences, prior to our organization as spirit children of Elohim, that allowed him to progress much further than where we currently reside within the plan of salvation.

Either way, the above assumptions lead to the conclusion that there is an ontological gap between Jehovah & the rest of Elohim's spirit children.

Jehovah is unique no doubt.

Personally, I think that Jehovah had been married prior to being born as a babe in Bethlehem.

It seems odd to come here as human and not do what humans do. I doubt we would recognize the validity of the example if it was all a pretense.

Is this where I ask did Mary cheat with God, when Jesus was....ummm...conceived? A ridiculous question, but it illustrates the sometimes bizarre and desperate need to apply questionable logic to an event or person so that we can justify our faith, rather than treating life as practical and faith as a motivator of hope.

Carlimac... there is only one species of human. God, Jesus, us - we are all the same species. There's no such thing as "hybrid'. There's Spirit and there's Body. There's no "some other species". And that inludes Jesus.

So, I have no clue what your understanding of "half immortal" means!

Reference? Pick any one that talks about the Godhead versus the Trinity.

OK I get where you're comng from but he was no ordinary human. He was perfect and somehow that would seem to detract from the earthly purpose and experience of his offspring to have one parent that was perfect.

In any case, what does it really matter to us if he was married or not? If Jesus wanted us to know he was married he would have put it in the scriptures or made it known in an obvious way. I think the fact that we don't know for sure means that we aren't meant to know at this point and that we should be focusing on other things.

Seems that the possibly that Jesus was married was considered long before Latter day Saints hypothesized the idea. Story here.

Considering cultural norms and life spans at the time, I always thought that he was married. For a very long time before I was LDS, I felt as if the church was apostate very soon after the crucifiction. Look at what happened to Hypatia, the Gnostics, and the Essenes. It seemed as if there was an organized movement to go round and destroy truth about Jesus Christ. Then they accused Mary Magdalene of being a whore. And who exactly was it that participated in the process of canonization?

The discovery is big for me. But it is not the first time I have heard it.

These same people got Constantine involved and he further deviated from the truth. Then they had the inquisition. All through history, there has been a big effort to suppress the truth about Jesus Christ.

Truth is, I did not trust organized religion when I found Jesus Christ. For years and years I searched for the true church, and I hope I found it with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

In my internet research, I find that some LDS sources say that Joseph Smith said he was married but not to talk of it. Is this true?

quite possibly. Or possibly not... most of the things i've heard critics claim are very hard to verify, and in the cases they are verifiable they tend not to have an impact on the gospel even as strange as it may seem to us today.

Abraham was instructed to misdirect the Pharoah so he wouldnt be killed and his wife taken.

in the end the is that the important question? I"d put forth that it is not. The question you need to answer is he God's prophet? (or does God want you to accept him).

quite possibly. Or possibly not... most of the things i've heard critics claim are very hard to verify, and in the cases they are verifiable they tend not to have an impact on the gospel even as strange as it may seem to us today.

Abraham was instructed to misdirect the Pharoah so he wouldnt be killed and his wife taken.

in the end the is that the important question? I"d put forth that it is not. The question you need to answer is he God's prophet? (or does God want you to accept him).

I am not sure who you are talking about? Jesus Christ is of course the Son of God. Married or not makes no difference to me. In fact the realization that he was married only seems right.

Now, as to Joseph Smith, him as a prophet only follows Biblical precidence. How can people assume that all down through recorded history, that Heavenly Father had prophets here to instruct us, and then he suddenly stopped? That is just silly. I am just unfamiliar with passages that prohibit our speaking of Jesus's marriage.

Our church has a dynamic like no other. It is sad that some do not see that. :)

I am not sure who you are talking about? Jesus Christ is of course the Son of God. Married or not makes no difference to me. In fact the realization that he was married only seems right.

Now, as to Joseph Smith, him as a prophet only follows Biblical precidence. How can people assume that all down through recorded history, that Heavenly Father had prophets here to instruct us, and then he suddenly stopped? That is just silly. I am just unfamiliar with passages that prohibit our speaking of Jesus's marriage.

Our church has a dynamic like no other. It is sad that some do not see that. :)

Huh?

back up... were you talking about JS being prohitbited to talk about josephs marriage or about Christs marriage?