It's Time

Leah

Tomorrow is THE day. About this time, I will be in the temple, receiving my endowment.

I've been inside to do baptisms, and for the year since my own baptism, I have gone weekly to sit on the grounds or sit in the atrium, to pray and ponder. It is almost hard to believe that tomorrow I will be inside, receiving my own endowment, and after that I will no longer have to sit and watch others come and go as they do work for others, now I will be one of them.

As I mentioned to Pam, I feel like I should be sporting two black eyes, for the walloping that the adversary has given me this week. I expected it, but it sure hasn't been enjoyable. Worth it? Absolutely.

Soooo....I am curious as to how others felt just prior to their endowment. Nervous? Excited? Was your experience anything like what you expected?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was nervous and excited. Nervous, only because it was something new and unknown. But, I was ready for it. I had been preparing for it for a long time and felt it was very right for me to receive further light and knowledge.

My advice would be to just relax and enjoy the experience. There is no possible way you will be able to remember every detail. So, journal your feelings and thoughts, but don't dwell on "what do I do after this? what am I supposed to say/do now?" And know that you may feel inadequate/stupid/self conscious because so many people will seem to know everything to say/do. But you are new and no one expects anything from you. So just feel.

Congratulations.

I was nervous and excited as well. It was very peaceful, but I also found myself in a state of confusion of just what was going on and what I was supposed to be doing. My advice there: just relax and accept you may be in a state of confusion. The peace is worth it.

I was curious, not really nervous, except for the feeling that I was somehow crossing a threshold into manhood. The endowment and associated washing and anointing was interesting and initially foreign to me, but not "weird" or uncomfortable. I'm glad I didn't fast beforehand. If you fast, I advise you to break your fast at least twelve hours before going to the temple, then eat a good breakfast. Then USE THE RESTROOM before things get started, and maybe again after the "initiatories" and before you go for the endowment ceremony itself.

There's my advice, practical and toilet-related. Good luck.

I was nervous and excited. Nervous, only because it was something new and unknown. But, I was ready for it. I had been preparing for it for a long time and felt it was very right for me to receive further light and knowledge.

My advice would be to just relax and enjoy the experience. There is no possible way you will be able to remember every detail. So, journal your feelings and thoughts, but don't dwell on "what do I do after this? what am I supposed to say/do now?" And know that you may feel inadequate/stupid/self conscious because so many people will seem to know everything to say/do. But you are new and no one expects anything from you. So just feel.

Congratulations.

Some of that mirrors my own experience. I tend to get nervous/anxious the first time I do something, even if it is something I want very much.

I have been working hard to prepare. I received my limited recommend the first week after I was baptized, and the goal was always to work towards this day. I've had enormous support and wisdom from my bishop, friends in the ward, and the wonderful brother who decided that instead of talking about M.S., we needed to talk about the gospel! Being a Jew, I thought he was...well...sweet, but a little misguided. :)

I love that advice - "So just feel". I am going to remember that tomorrow!

I was nervous and excited as well. It was very peaceful, but I also found myself in a state of confusion of just what was going on and what I was supposed to be doing. My advice there: just relax and accept you may be in a state of confusion. The peace is worth it.

Yep...I'm pretty sure I will be in a state of confusion! :)

I know the peace I feel just when on the grounds. I expect to feel that even more strongly tomorrow and I will remind myself to focus on that, and not the confusion.

Thank you!

I was curious, not really nervous, except for the feeling that I was somehow crossing a threshold into manhood. The endowment and associated washing and anointing was interesting and initially foreign to me, but not "weird" or uncomfortable. I'm glad I didn't fast beforehand. If you fast, I advise you to break your fast at least twelve hours before going to the temple, then eat a good breakfast. Then USE THE RESTROOM before things get started, and maybe again after the "initiatories" and before you go for the endowment ceremony itself.

There's my advice, practical and toilet-related. Good luck.

You're scaring me. Have you been reading my mind? I'm not at all nervous about the commitment, the rituals...any of the...I don'know..."concept" part of it? The covenant istelf. But I have been obsessing on....what if the garments don't fit? AND...what if I suddenly have to pee? My most urgent questions after hearing that I have to be there at 9:30 and we don't finish until 1:00 were....when can I pee? You don't know how reassuring your post was! LOL

Someone, somewhere along the line, did suggest not fasting that morning. I was glad for that advice, thinking I SHOULD fast.

I, too, feel like I am crossing a threshold. I can't articulate it any better at the moment, perhaps I will be able to afterwords. My bishop has spoken often of how hard my journey has been, and while I know that there will be trials and tribulations yet to come....yeah, I feel as though I am feeling as though I am crossing a threshold that all of that has brought me to.

In a way, it's very much like reading a book of scripture (let's say the Book of Mormon) for the first time. You kind of grasp who some of the people are and sort of what's going on. Mainly, you feel the spirit of the book. You feel the Holy Ghost testify to you. You learn some platitudes and get a 40,000 foot view. Only when you reread the book many times do you really begin to grasp who the different people are, what their functions were, and how they really felt about and did things.

Similarly, your first time through the temple might seem a bit arcane. You will be surrounded by verbal and other symbols, and you won't really know what to make of them. There is more than a little of the feeling of drinking from a fire hose. So just enjoy it and try to stay spiritually aware. Don't worry much about the specifics of what's going on. You have people there to help you. For the most part, you don't have to stress about memorizing this or that. Just experience it. (The one exception is right at the end of the initiatory, when you are given a verbal token that you are instructed always to remember. So remember that.)

As you return for the following weeks and years, you will start to see patterns, and eventually it will make a lot more sense and start to become an amazing pattern of worship. I can only assume this feeling of unfolding knowledge continues throughout the rest of your life; I'm almost 50 and have been attending the temple since I was 19, and I often feel I am only just beginning to understand this or that aspect of temple worship, or even wonder when I will understand some part. So there's lots there to enjoy.

You're scaring me. Have you been reading my mind? I'm not at all nervous about the commitment, the rituals...any of the...I don'know..."concept" part of it? The covenant istelf. But I have been obsessing on....what if the garments don't fit? AND...what if I suddenly have to pee? My most urgent questions after hearing that I have to be there at 9:30 and we don't finish until 1:00 were....when can I pee? You don't know how reassuring your post was! LOL

Glad to be of some help. If you find you need to relieve yourself during the ceremony, just stand or raise your hand and tell (whisper) the temple worker what you need. They will stop the ceremony and let you do your business, then start it again. But personally, I just hate it when I'm still 20 or 30 minutes from the end of the endowment and the old bladder is starting to complain...

As for the garment, you should expect your first pair or two to be "test subjects". Only buy one or two pair initially, then buy the rest after you know if the ones you have are too tight or too loose.

Glad to be of some help. If you find you need to relieve yourself during the ceremony, just stand or raise your hand and tell (whisper) the temple worker what you need. They will stop the ceremony and let you do your business, then start it again. But personally, I just hate it when I'm still 20 or 30 minutes from the end of the endowment and the old bladder is starting to complain...

As for the garment, you should expect your first pair or two to be "test subjects". Only buy one or two pair initially, then buy the rest after you know if the ones you have are too tight or too loose.

I would be mortified to have the ceremomy stopped because I have to visit the ladies' room! When I inquired about the bathroom situation - other than being told I would have an opportunity to go to the bathroom once before the endowment, that...well...if I had the urge any other time, I would just have to hold it. That it is a HUGE deal to stop the ceremony (which I can understand) and that it's done except for a heart attack or some such. It was even suggested that I "wear something". :eek:

I get the concept of trying the diiferent materials until you find what "works" for you. I just keep getting visions of the day I was wearing a brand-new pair of tights, and by the time I got from my car halfway across the parking lot, they were almost at my knees. This is NOT the kind of situation I want my first temple experience to be memorable for!

Yeah...my mind is weird like that sometimes....

I enjoy the amazement that comes from new experiences. But I am also looking forward to the time when I have a deeper familiarity and comfort with some things.

I would be mortified to have the ceremomy stopped because I have to visit the ladies' room! When I inquired about the bathroom situation - other than being told I would have an opportunity to go to the bathroom once before the endowment, that...well...if I had the urge any other time, I would just have to hold it. That it is a HUGE deal to stop the ceremony (which I can understand) and that it's done except for a heart attack or some such. It was even suggested that I "wear something". :eek:

Seriously? Who told you that? I've seen sessions stop for bathroom breaks. There are natural breaks in the endowment session, and when I've seen it happen, it's been that someone uses those as an opportunity to leave briefly without causing a scene, and the ordinance workers just wait for the person to return.

Seriously? Who told you that? I've seen sessions stop for bathroom breaks. There are natural breaks in the endowment session, and when I've seen it happen, it's been that someone uses those as an opportunity to leave briefly without causing a scene, and the ordinance workers just wait for the person to return.

A woman who grew up in the church and attends the temple weekly.

You guys are relieving a LOT of my stress! With M.S., one's body can have the oddest quirks and one of mine is...when it's time to go...it's time to go!

I was praying as I was driving to work this morning that Heavenly Father would bless me and tell my body to stop already with any of it's little quirks just long enough to get through everything without my body reminding me that I have this stupid disease.

This brings to mind another question I may as well ask...while I am not yet ancient...I have reached that time in life where reading glasses do sometimes come in handy. Will I need to read anything at any point? Should I slip my reading glasses into my pocket just in case? I am convinced the print on everything gets tinier every year....

I have received advice such as...slip some cough drops and kleenex into your pocket..I love these practical hints!

Your first time, you won't need to read anything. The times after that, the only thing you need to read is the name of person you will be standing in proxy for. The name is on a slip of paper and can be difficult to read if you need glasses. You could always memorize the name if you didn't want to bring your glasses with you.

Also, if you tend to get cold, you should consider bringing a sweater--of course, it should be completely white. I notice alot of women wearing sweaters (but I tend to be on the hot side and like the cooler temps in the temple).

Some of that mirrors my own experience. I tend to get nervous/anxious the first time I do something, even if it is something I want very much.

I have been working hard to prepare. I received my limited recommend the first week after I was baptized, and the goal was always to work towards this day. I've had enormous support and wisdom from my bishop, friends in the ward, and the wonderful brother who decided that instead of talking about M.S., we needed to talk about the gospel! Being a Jew, I thought he was...well...sweet, but a little misguided. :)

I love that advice - "So just feel". I am going to remember that tomorrow!

Well I'm glad that wonderful brother you speak of did what he did. Since I also know that person...I'm not surprised that he did what he did.

Your first time, you won't need to read anything. The times after that, the only thing you need to read is the name of person you will be standing in proxy for. The name is on a slip of paper and can be difficult to read if you need glasses. You could always memorize the name if you didn't want to bring your glasses with you.

Also, if you tend to get cold, you should consider bringing a sweater--of course, it should be completely white. I notice alot of women wearing sweaters (but I tend to be on the hot side and like the cooler temps in the temple).

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I will be just fine without my reading glasses tomorrow. One less detail to worry about.

I tend to be hot..another gift of M.S...heat intolerance. I'm always too hot at work when the young, skinny girls are pulling out the sweaters.

All this practical advice is really helpful!

Please keep in mind, its easy to get overwhelmed the first time, relax and go back often to begin with. Also remember in regular Church we use very little symbolism, in the Temple its the opposite - there is a lot of symbolism, don't worry about knowing or remembering everything the first time - that's not going to happen. Do pay special attention to the Covenants and Promises, don't worry, you can go back again and again until you do get it.

After my first Temple trip I started learning about symbolism in the gospel, it was an eye opener.

Well I'm glad that wonderful brother you speak of did what he did. Since I also know that person...I'm not surprised that he did what he did.

He was almost turning cartwheels, too! ;)

It is still astonishing to me how Heavenly Father brought us together. I have no words, but will be eternally grateful.

Please keep in mind, its easy to get overwhelmed the first time, relax and go back often to begin with. Also remember in regular Church we use very little symbolism, in the Temple its the opposite - there is a lot of symbolism, don't worry about knowing or remembering everything the first time - that's not going to happen. Do pay special attention to the Covenants and Promises, don't worry, you can go back again and again until you do get it.

After my first Temple trip I started learning about symbolism in the gospel, it was an eye opener.

More wonderful advice. I really appreciate it!

Since the temple is just a few minutes away, I really hope to go weekly. I may have to get over my shyness and go by myself, but I really want to attend regularly.

Let's see--more practical advice.

I tend to wear easy to remove/put on clothes to the temple. It's church dress, but I don't want to mess with a zipper up the back while in the temple.

I also don't wear a bulky coat to the temple. The lockers are rather small so, I wear light jackets from the car to the temple. If it's raining, your umbrella will fit in the bottom of the locker so as to not get your clothes wet.

I leave my camera and cell phone in the car. You can take them with you in the temple; however, your camera should be checked at the desk and your cell phone should be turned off. I'm too lazy to do all of that, so I just leave them in the car.

Grab tissues (found all over the temple) and put a couple in your pocket. I tend to need them during the endowment session and although they have a box in the room, it isn't convenient to just get up and get one. So, put a couple (or more if you think you are gonna cry) in your pocket of your temple dress.

Once you show your recommend at the desk, you won't need it anymore. Put it back in your purse.

Take some candy or cough drops or something and put it in your temple dress pocket. I even remove them from a noisy wrapper and wrap them up in a tissue so I won't disrupt the other patrons. I also carry chapstick in my pocket.

Once you are done with the whole she-bang, you will return to the locker room and at that point, if you rented the temple clothes, then you'll put them in the laundry chute. If they are your temple clothes, then you need to fold them to put them away (I'm talking about the ceremonial clothing--not your temple dress). Ask the worker to help you fold them. Believe it or not, it was a little tricksey at first to figure out how to fold the ceremonial clothes and place them back in the envelope.

Once you enter the Celestial Room, you'll be greeted enthusiastically (but quietly) by whomever you brought with you. Take a moment at some point, to sit alone and just pray. It may be a little overwhelming at first to be in there, but at some point, you'll want to just have a minute or two alone with your God and thank Him.

Don't ever be afraid to ask a question. There are workers everywhere and they are there to help you.

AND...what if I suddenly have to pee? My most urgent questions after hearing that I have to be there at 9:30 and we don't finish until 1:00 were....when can I pee?

That was a major issue for me! There are opportunities to go to the rest room and once you get there and start the process, the nerves will abate some, and you won't have to go as much as you think you might.

I'd take some hard candies with you, in case you feel a little low blood sugar-y from the nerves.

I was just endowed in March. I was sooooo nervous beforehand, but once I got in the temple, it was all right. You will do fine.

You got it.

And why was it sunny and nice for weeks and weeks...and NOW the rain has started?! :mad:

My sister was just there about two weeks ago. She texted me a picture and I couldn't believe how blue the sky was! That's where I did baptisms for most of my youth years.

Another bit of practical advice: be sure you're wearing a white bra.