It's Time

Leah

He was almost turning cartwheels, too! ;)

It is still astonishing to me how Heavenly Father brought us together. I have no words, but will be eternally grateful.

Has he heard you are going to the temple tomorrow?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see--more practical advice.

I tend to wear easy to remove/put on clothes to the temple. It's church dress, but I don't want to mess with a zipper up the back while in the temple.

I also don't wear a bulky coat to the temple. The lockers are rather small so, I wear light jackets from the car to the temple. If it's raining, your umbrella will fit in the bottom of the locker so as to not get your clothes wet.

I leave my camera and cell phone in the car. You can take them with you in the temple; however, your camera should be checked at the desk and your cell phone should be turned off. I'm too lazy to do all of that, so I just leave them in the car.

Grab tissues (found all over the temple) and put a couple in your pocket. I tend to need them during the endowment session and although they have a box in the room, it isn't convenient to just get up and get one. So, put a couple (or more if you think you are gonna cry) in your pocket of your temple dress.

Once you show your recommend at the desk, you won't need it anymore. Put it back in your purse.

Take some candy or cough drops or something and put it in your temple dress pocket. I even remove them from a noisy wrapper and wrap them up in a tissue so I won't disrupt the other patrons. I also carry chapstick in my pocket.

Once you are done with the whole she-bang, you will return to the locker room and at that point, if you rented the temple clothes, then you'll put them in the laundry chute. If they are your temple clothes, then you need to fold them to put them away (I'm talking about the ceremonial clothing--not your temple dress). Ask the worker to help you fold them. Believe it or not, it was a little tricksey at first to figure out how to fold the ceremonial clothes and place them back in the envelope.

Once you enter the Celestial Room, you'll be greeted enthusiastically (but quietly) by whomever you brought with you. Take a moment at some point, to sit alone and just pray. It may be a little overwhelming at first to be in there, but at some point, you'll want to just have a minute or two alone with your God and thank Him.

Don't ever be afraid to ask a question. There are workers everywhere and they are there to help you.

Thank you for all of the wonderful tips! I would never have thought to wrap the cough drops in a tissue!

That was a major issue for me! There are opportunities to go to the rest room and once you get there and start the process, the nerves will abate some, and you won't have to go as much as you think you might.

I'd take some hard candies with you, in case you feel a little low blood sugar-y from the nerves.

I was just endowed in March. I was sooooo nervous beforehand, but once I got in the temple, it was all right. You will do fine.

That is often my experience...... as soon as the thing I am anxious about actually starts, I become very calm.

My sister was just there about two weeks ago. She texted me a picture and I couldn't believe how blue the sky was! That's where I did baptisms for most of my youth years.

Another bit of practical advice: be sure you're wearing a white bra.

It was pouring when I left work tonight! But I am still hoping for some sun tomorrow.

I have been trying to journal and capture my feelings about the day, but it is so hard to find adequate words!

I guess I will just share some random thoughts.

While investigating the church, I had read so many negative things about the temple. Even then, I had an instinct that much of it was biased....someone went in with that attitude that it was 'sexist' and so that is what they found, for example.

I found nothing negative whatsoever. I am frankly surprised that anyone has that experience. I found it to be a joyous experience. And that word is woefully inadequate to express what I felt. The only 'negative' I encountered was a clothing issue - being only five feet tall comes with its challenges sometimes - that was somewhat distracting during the endowment.

I did not find it strange or weird or bizarre in any way. I felt nothing but comfort, peace, familiarity and great, great joy.

I found the presence of the spirit to be particularly overwhelming during the initiatory...and there was a moment.....WOW.

My attendant was the sweetest woman ever.

It didn't rain!

The adversary worked hard at keeping me from going. Right up to the last minute. Others from the ward who were attending, were also met with unusual challenges.

My bishop had some amazing things to say to me immediately afterwards.

I was so touched at the sheer joy that others felt for me. I've never experienced anything like that.

That includes especally the person who shared the gospel with me and had some amazing words for me right afterwards.

I was touched - and surprised - by the number of people from the ward who were waiting in the celestial room.

I can't wait to go back again next week!

I received a strong prompting to especially go back and do initiatories.

I have questions!

The last couple of days could be entitled "Garments 101".

I never knew it was possible to feel this much joy.

The only 'negative' I encountered was a clothing issue - being only five feet tall comes with its challenges sometimes - that was somewhat distracting during the endowment.

Thank you for sharing some of your thoughts. The temple is a wonderful experience.

As pertaining to your only negative pertaining to height, my mother would completely understand. She is 4'10 3/4". Don't forget the 3/4 of an inch. :)

The greatest Joy of my life I experienced in an endowment room in the temple, as I contemplated my thankfulness to God, and asked God if I was doing ok. 2006, inexpressible Joy.

I am so happy for you!!

HiJolly

"Inexpressible joy".

That's exactly what it is.

I had NO IDEA it was possible to feel this much joy.

I know what you mean about the garments. I'm 5'2" with 2" heels. LOL.

Petite garments are still long. It's tricky finding long enough bermuda shorts that don't make me look even shorter getting my legs visually cut off at that visually awkward spot and at the same time covering the garments while siting down. So yeah, I just don't wear bermuda shorts anymore. Just skirts and pants for me now. And no, capri pants are just not meant for 5" people.

"Inexpressible joy".

That's exactly what it is.

I had NO IDEA it was possible to feel this much joy.

Yes, I think that's because it's not mortal joy, it's divine Joy. It was clear to me that I did not have the capacity to comprehend the fulness of this Joy. It overflowed me.

Congrats, you are now a mystic. :D

HiJolly

I know what you mean about the garments. I'm 5'2" with 2" heels. LOL.

Petite garments are still long. It's tricky finding long enough bermuda shorts that don't make me look even shorter getting my legs visually cut off at that visually awkward spot and at the same time covering the garments while siting down. So yeah, I just don't wear bermuda shorts anymore. Just skirts and pants for me now. And no, capri pants are just not meant for 5" people.

I don't know what height clothing manufacturers think is 'petite' but it is most definitely not five feet tall! My garments come down much further than any of my friends'. I've always worn knee-length (mid-knee or below), but I have to be very mindful when sitting down.

I am, however, VERY grateful that we have choices other than the old one-piecers!

There was an issue with an article of clothing during the endowment itself. Thanks to the very helpful temple workers, there is probably a solution to be found.

Yes, I think that's because it's not mortal joy, it's divine Joy. It was clear to me that I did not have the capacity to comprehend the fulness of this Joy. It overflowed me.

Congrats, you are now a mystic. :D

HiJolly

Thank you. You expressed beautifully what I couldn't!

My attendant was the sweetest woman ever.

I was so touched at the sheer joy that others felt for me. I've never experienced anything like that.

I get freaked out by the niceness and the happiness at the temple. I am not used to it. The temple workers are soooo nice and so happy for you your first time and just as happy to see you on your 10th time.

The last time I was in the temple, this young man just smiled at me like he knew me. I thought maybe he was one of our new missionaries I hadn't met (it was our ward temple trip). We spoke for a moment ('cause, gee, he looked at me like we'd gone to school together) and it turns out he was just a local guy, come to the temple like everyone else. Darned friendly Mormons! Seriously, it has been one of the hardest things for me to get used to. Something similar happened at the Nauvoo visitor's center. A sister walked over and started talking like we were long lost buds.

I know I'm a hard-hearted east-coaster, but I hope I can acquire some of this niceness before I pass on. Despite what people might think from my usual postings here, I am working on it. :lol:

I'm happy for you and jealous that you are so close to a temple and can go frequently.

I get freaked out by the niceness and the happiness at the temple. I am not used to it. The temple workers are soooo nice and so happy for you your first time and just as happy to see you on your 10th time.

The last time I was in the temple, this young man just smiled at me like he knew me. I thought maybe he was one of our new missionaries I hadn't met (it was our ward temple trip). We spoke for a moment ('cause, gee, he looked at me like we'd gone to school together) and it turns out he was just a local guy, come to the temple like everyone else. Darned friendly Mormons! Seriously, it has been one of the hardest things for me to get used to. Something similar happened at the Nauvoo visitor's center. A sister walked over and started talking like we were long lost buds.

I know I'm a hard-hearted east-coaster, but I hope I can acquire some of this niceness before I pass on. Despite what people might think from my usual postings here, I am working on it. :lol:

I'm happy for you and jealous that you are so close to a temple and can go frequently.

FYI: When I was ordained a high priest recently, I was informed that, as a high priest, I could be a temple worker. I never knew that only high priests could be temple workers. But for sisters, there is no such requirement (obviously). Any endowed, worthy woman can serve as a temple worker. I realize you're not located convenient to a temple, but it's something to keep in mind for possible later reference. My mother has served as a temple worker for the last year or so, and I think it has been a great blessing to her.

FYI: When I was ordained a high priest recently, I was informed that, as a high priest, I could be a temple worker. I never knew that only high priests could be temple workers. But for sisters, there is no such requirement (obviously). Any endowed, worthy woman can serve as a temple worker. I realize you're not located convenient to a temple, but it's something to keep in mind for possible later reference. My mother has served as a temple worker for the last year or so, and I think it has been a great blessing to her.

I did not know that only High Priests could be temple workers. Up to this point my DH has been fine that he's an Elder and not a High Priest. If an Elder wanted to become a temple worker, do you know if they would then ordain him to the office of High Priest? Or would he just be told, sorry.