Downton Abbey, anyone?

beefche

I'm up on it- at least up through the current show. I haven't cheated and watched the whole season three. As for that gay scene in the first show of the first season...that was the only one of it's kind. Thomas keeps getting the hots for different guys but he's not doing anymore lip locking.

So what did you want to discuss?

Despite everything, I think Bates is guilty. He actually creeps me out a little. How did Anna fall for him?

Ok, warning to anyone who hasn't kept up with the current season. There will be spoilers!

Warning you!

Keep warning!

Here are some spoilers....

I was not expecting Sybil to die! I bawled like a baby. I know that one of the major reasons for death for young women was childbirth. I like how Thomas reacted. He is such a nasty person, it was nice to see him be truly moved by her.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why Lord Grantham and the Dowager opposed Edith marrying Sir Anthony. They wanted Mary to marry him and then when she passed him up, they didn't object to Edith making a move on him. Now, they complain of his age??? He had everything appropriate: title, respectability, wealth. It wasn't unheard of for men to marry so much younger--especially in their class. I felt so bad for her for being humiliated at the alter like that.

And Mrs. Crawley drives me nuts. Her heart is good, but she placed Mrs. Bird in a horrible place. Despite what we may think today, in that time, it was almost a death sentence to associate with a known prostitute. Mrs. Bird had no choice--either leave her place of employment or risk the shunning and persecution of her family, friends, and associates.

But, the one person that I absolutely adore is Maggie Smith! She should get an award as best actress ever! Her funny dialogue and then her graceful grieving of Sybil was just perfect. Bravo!

I like Bates. I remember him from North and South (not the horribly written and acted American Civil War version). Remember, he told Anna that he was not a good person before. His drinking turned him into a horrible person. But, he changed.

However, I think he had to resort back to bad Bates to survive prison. I still think Sir Richard had something to do with Vera's death. I mean, come on! He gave such great threats to Lady Mary and he won't carry them out? I'm waiting for that shoe to drop any time...

BTW, there are only 2 episodes left. I won't spoil it for you, but a shocker is coming in the last episode.

Big fan here. I'm FB friends with 'Mr Bates' so I get a lot of behind the scenes pictures and news. The professor board I'm on has a DA thread. It's fun to see a bunch of smart women brought to their knees by what is essentially a soap opera on one hand, and have some really knowledgeable discussions of WWI, women's suffrage, etc. on the other.

I took a quiz to see which character I am and it turns out I'm 'Thomas.' I'm not sure what that says about me.

: )

Spoiler alert for those who haven't watched at all......

...I was not expecting Sybil to die! I bawled like a baby. I know that one of the major reasons for death for young women was childbirth. I like how Thomas reacted. He is such a nasty person, it was nice to see him be truly moved by her.

I agree, the episode with Sybil dying was so sad, I cried too. But the thing about all the characters like O'Brien and Thomas and even Lord Grantham is that they are all three dimensional characters, everyone has good and bad qualities. When O'Brien realized she was making a mistake with the bar of soap she tried to correct it but was too late. When the blind officer killed himself while trying to recuperate, Thomas was heart broken, they had become friends. I love those scenes, when you see a character who you think is awful show that he or she is human after all. Even Lord Grantham, you think he's all good but he has made bad decisions, he too is a wonderful three dimensional person.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why Lord Grantham and the Dowager opposed Edith marrying Sir Anthony. They wanted Mary to marry him and then when she passed him up, they didn't object to Edith making a move on him. Now, they complain of his age??? He had everything appropriate: title, respectability, wealth. It wasn't unheard of for men to marry so much younger--especially in their class. I felt so bad for her for being humiliated at the alter like that.

I think the change in attitude with Sir Anthony is that he was wounded in the Great War and so he really is not the same person as he was before the war. Edith really would have been more of a nurse than a wife. But now she has met the newspaper editor, things look interesting there.

And Mrs. Crawley drives me nuts. Her heart is good, but she placed Mrs. Bird in a horrible place. Despite what we may think today, in that time, it was almost a death sentence to associate with a known prostitute. Mrs. Bird had no choice--either leave her place of employment or risk the shunning and persecution of her family, friends, and associates.

Mrs Crawley is one of my favourite characters. She thinks differently than her generation typically would, she's ahead of her time. The thing with Mrs Bird is that she threatened to leave because of Ethel and never really thought Mrs Crawley would let her go, she was surprised.

But, the one person that I absolutely adore is Maggie Smith! She should get an award as best actress ever! Her funny dialogue and then her graceful grieving of Sybil was just perfect. Bravo!

I love the Dowager! She's a true matriarch; everyone goes to her for advice and she's wise because of her years and experience. And she's got a great sense of humour.

M.

...Despite everything, I think Bates is guilty. He actually creeps me out a little. How did Anna fall for him?

I disagree, Bates is a great character. I love Anna and Bates relationship. Again both full rounded characters and clever too.

M.

One of my favourite scenes in Season 1 is where the Dowager talks to Cora about rumours she's been hearing about Mary and every time she brings something up, Cora doesn't say a word she just replies with her eyes and Violet's responses to her wordless replies are priceless.

M.

Spoiler alert for those who haven't watched at all......

I agree, the episode with Sybil dying was so sad, I cried too. But the thing about all the characters like O'Brien and Thomas and even Lord Grantham is that they are all three dimensional characters, everyone has good and bad qualities. When O'Brien realized she was making a mistake with the bar of soap she tried to correct it but was too late. When the blind officer killed himself while trying to recuperate, Thomas was heart broken, they had become friends. I love those scenes, when you see a character who you think is awful show that he or she is human after all. Even Lord Grantham, you think he's all good but he has made bad decisions, he too is a wonderful three dimensional person.

I think the change in attitude with Sir Anthony is that he was wounded in the Great War and so he really is not the same person as he was before the war. Edith really would have been more of a nurse than a wife. But now she has met the newspaper editor, things look interesting there.

Mrs Crawley is one of my favourite characters. She thinks differently than her generation typically would, she's ahead of her time. The thing with Mrs Bird is that she threatened to leave because of Ethel and never really thought Mrs Crawley would let her go, she was surprised.

I love the Dowager! She's a true matriarch; everyone goes to her for advice and she's wise because of her years and experience. And she's got a great sense of humour.

M.

I don't agree with your assessment of Sir Anthony. True, he did change and Edith looked forward to nursing him, but I still don't see why that would change their minds. I can see why Sir Anthony changed his mind. I think Edith did love him, but she kept harping on nursing him. I think he saw that and felt he deserved/wanted more than a nurse. But, why Lord G and the Dowager still disapprove? All they mentioned was his age. Still didn't make sense to me.

Although Mrs. Crawley is ahead of her time, has a great heart, and truly wants to make a difference, I still think she put Mrs. Bird in a tough position. Yes, Mrs. Bird was challenging her and lost. But, honestly, what other choice did she have? She didn't have position or money to protect her.

I haven't seen it yet where Edith meets the editor, so I'll have to wait to weigh in on that.

.. I still think she put Mrs. Bird in a tough position. Yes, Mrs. Bird was challenging her and lost. But, honestly, what other choice did she have? She didn't have position or money to protect her....

The way I saw Mrs Bird, is that she thought by threatening to leave as her only cook, Mrs Crawley couldn't afford to do that and just assumed she wouldn't want to loose her and would choose to let Ethel go, but Mrs Crawley did fall for her threat and accepted her resignation - something Mrs Bird wasn't bargaining on.

M.

I cried when Sybil died, too. I hadn't cried in a movie or anything for years. Are we living too much in the land of fiction or what?

How would Sir Richard have had anything to do with Vera Bates' death? I can't remember any connection there. Remind me.

There was one little hint about Bates besides all the things he said blatantly about himself. When he was choking or holding his cell mate at file point or whatever it was, his cell mate said something like "I forgot I was sharing a cell with a murderer." And Bates replied, " Well next time don't forget it." He admits it. His violent streak just bothers me to no end.

The Dowager reminds me of my mother in law. I get such a kick out of her. My favorite line from the last show was to Robert when he was trying to shut down the luncheon. " Well it would be a shame to miss such a pretty pudding." I like Mrs. Crawley. She is so forth right. Mrs Bird was full of herself and a grump from the get-go even before Ethel came along.

I know from a friend's reaction that the end of season three is heartbreaking. I don't wan't to know.

How would Sir Richard have had anything to do with Vera Bates' death? I can't remember any connection there. Remind me.

There was one little hint about Bates besides all the things he said blatantly about himself. When he was choking or holding his cell mate at file point or whatever it was, his cell mate said something like "I forgot I was sharing a cell with a murderer." And Bates replied, " Well next time don't forget it." He admits it. His violent streak just bothers me to no end.

Sir Richard made Vera sign a contract to not spread the rumor about Lady Mary and Mr. Pamuk. Vera didn't realize that Sir Richard made the contract so airtight that she couldn't do anything at all. Sir Richard threatened Vera if she talked to anyone of the rumor.

I don't think that moment is a confession from Bates. I think it was a way for Bates to keep up the reputation of being a killer in order to survive prison.

I don't think that moment is a confession from Bates. I think it was a way for Bates to keep up the reputation of being a killer in order to survive prison.

My thoughts as well. He's a convicted murderer, he's got a rep that may serve as some protection while in prison.

On the other hand, he's convicted of murdering a woman, I'm not seeing a lot of street cred in that, but that's me.