Two Explosions Near Boston Marathon Finish Line

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to see how we as a nation can put politics aside and join together in times of national tragedy.

Oh wait...

We've had a full day and a half... how much longer did you need it to be put aside?

Till those that died are actually buried?

think it was like an hour and a half when some blame started getting passed around. Personally I wouldn't mind a week or two of "everyone just shut the heck up and figure it out" before the blame game starts.

I've heard some were quick to believe this was Muslim terrorism. The mention of a Saudi person of interest peaked that speculation. Still others figured it was a Republican anti-tax person who did it. That theory was bantered about by the usual media suspects.

Foolish speculation in times of political divide, when there should be reverence for the deceased, and a time of quiet, so the dust can settle, and sober minds can do the important work of finding who actually did it.

I hope my theory isn't disrespectful. Has anyone heard of Hero Complex? I understand there were some very wonderful hero people helping out immediately. I wish I didn't have a suspicious bone in my body but you gotta wonder. I remember well when a fireman trying to impress his girlfriend set her apartment on fire so he could rush to the rescue and put it out. Just pondering this idea...

No. These bombs were clearly made with hate, and were clearly made to cause as much human damage (as opposed to building damage) as possible (low-speed explosive, shrapnel, etc). Suggesting somebody did this just to look nice helping people is completely nonsensical. Edited by LittleWyvern

OK, dumb question:

Last week everyone was breathlessly anticipating that the North Koreans were going to do something on April 15 to commemorate Kim Il Sung's birthday. Part of the hand-wringing had to do with the fact that the North Koreans have in the past torpedoed South Korean ships, shelled South Korean territory, and were now threatening to strike at America itself.

So on April 15 two bombs blow up in mid-town Boston and in the aftermath we have letters with Ricin turning up at the White House and Capitol Hill, and suddenly no one's talking about North Korea anymore? What am I missing?

No. These bombs were clearly made with hate, and were clearly made to cause as much human damage (as opposed to building damage) as possible (low-speed explosive, shrapnel, etc). Suggesting somebody did this just to look nice helping people is completely nonsensical.

Personally, I feel the word "hate" is overused and too simplistic. What I'm suggesting is a person with a pretty serious personality disorder. If you Google "hero complex disorder" you might understand better what I mean. I'm not even saying this is what happened. Just an idea.

OK, dumb question:

Last week everyone was breathlessly anticipating that the North Koreans were going to do something on April 15 to commemorate Kim Il Sung's birthday. Part of the hand-wringing had to do with the fact that the North Koreans have in the past torpedoed South Korean ships, shelled South Korean territory, and were now threatening to strike at America itself.

So on April 15 two bombs blow up in mid-town Boston and in the aftermath we have letters with Ricin turning up at the White House and Capitol Hill, and suddenly no one's talking about North Korea anymore? What am I missing?

The ricin guy ended up being some random dude in Mississippi.

EDIT: I found his youtube page. He's an Elvis impersonator, of all things.

It's nice to see how we as a nation can put politics aside and join together in times of national tragedy.

Oh wait...

You mean like Chris O'Donnell and MSNBC?

"There are new developments tonight in the bombing investigation here in Boston," said O'Donnell. "But that investigation could be moving faster were it not for the successful lobbying efforts of the National Rifle Association. The NRA's efforts to guarantee that American mass murderers are the best-equipped mass murders in the world is not limited to murderers who use assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. The NRA is also in the business of helping bombers get away with their crimes. Gunpowder could be traced by investigators to a buyer at the point of sale if gunpowder contained a taggant, an element that would enable tracing of the purchase of gunpowder. But thanks to the National Rifle Association, identification taggants are required by law only in plastic explosives. The NRA has successfully blocked any requirements for such taggants in gunpowder. So such supremely helpful evidence as taggants are not available to the FBI in this investigation."

OK, dumb question:

Nope. If this was a North Korean or Al Quaeda operation, you'll have 3,000 dead. Not 3. Those guys know their stuff when it comes to blowing up people. Pressure cooker shrapnels are something they would do as a fun cocktail on a random afternoon when they're bored. Not an operation to be pulled off in the United States.

Lovely - grassroots terrorists. Chechen Islamic immigrants. Reports of suicide belt/vest at time of capture. Just darn lovely.

In my Denver CERT training a few years back, they taught us about IED's and bomb vests and such. When we asked them why they were teaching it, they said it was only a matter of time.

Just lovely.

My daughter just told me that she has a friend who lives in Boston, just had her third baby this week and is back home from the hospital right smack in the middle of where all this is going on. Literally just blocks away from where she lives. Her mother from ID is visiting to take care of them. That would be memorable.

Watching NBC, seeing those TV "journalists" brag about being on the job for over forty-eight hours covering this story. Pathetic.

This is all a good example of the bias the media has for the east coast. If something bad happens on the east coast - it's TRAGEDY! But what about the many days when kids get shot and killed in Chicago? Just another ho hum day.