Two Explosions Near Boston Marathon Finish Line

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching NBC, seeing those TV "journalists" brag about being on the job for over forty-eight hours covering this story. Pathetic.

This is all a good example of the bias the media has for the east coast. If something bad happens on the east coast - it's TRAGEDY! But what about the many days when kids get shot and killed in Chicago? Just another ho hum day.

So are you saying this whole thing wasn't tragic? So I suppose the kids being killed at Sandy Hook was all media bias because it happened on the east coast?

So are you saying this whole thing wasn't tragic? So I suppose the kids being killed at Sandy Hook was all media bias because it happened on the east coast?

I think the Boston bombings have totally upstaged all the rest of the news items including the horrible blast in Texas that killed and injured lots more people. Not that Boston wasn't tragic, but I think there was more loss in Texas, but since it wss some little armpit town, it only got a fraction of the coverage it deserved.

I think the Boston bombings have totally upstaged all the rest of the news items including the horrible blast in Texas that killed and injured lots more people. Not that Boston wasn't tragic, but I think there was more loss in Texas, but since it wss some little armpit town, it only got a fraction of the coverage it deserved.

I would agree that it's because it makes bigger news. What I disagree with is the fact that because it happened in the east it got bigger news. If this had happened at the Salt Lake City marathon this weekend in the exact same way and with all of the events following the blasts, I would say it would be big news as well.

I would agree that it's because it makes bigger news. What I disagree with is the fact that because it happened in the east it got bigger news. If this had happened at the Salt Lake City marathon this weekend in the exact same way and with all of the events following the blasts, I would say it would be big news as well.

Actually, I think I agree with Carlimac in this. A terroristic-looking marathon bombing in SLC that killed three versus a plant explosion in New Jersey that killed dozens? No doubt which would be bigger news, and it wouldn't be that sad, weird thing that happened out in the mountains. There is a heavy and almost unconscious Eastern bias to the US media, with the exception of California.

Chechen Islamic immigrants are as Muslim as the Italian Mafia is Catholic.

I can't really see things that way. It sounds too much like all the people who keep telling me I'm not Christian I guess.

Dr. Peterson, BYU professor of Islamic Studies, has some thoughts on the matter:

On the Emerging Islamic Connection to the Boston Murders

Well, yeah, that's true, but I've seen so much of "rah rah Muslims are terrorists" at other places that I want to make sure that garbage doesn't infect us here (we, of all Christian religions, should know enough not to stereotype people).

So, for some preventative measures, the largest society of US Muslims have strongly condemned these terrorists attacks, and the Qur'an itself proclaims that killing innocent people is an extremely serious sin.

EDIT: I apologize for being aggressive here, it's just that this kind of stereotyping really irks me for some reason.

They werent even from Chechnya. The media and social media keep saying that but they werent born in Chechnya or even ever lived there. Its like saying I am from France because some of my ancestors were. As hard is Chechnya is to remember how to spell, where they really are from is even harder to spell or even remember.

Regardless of their home country, regardless of the particular ideology behind their actions, regardless of the extent to which it was motivated by islamic militancy, they seem to fall into the category of "homegrown militant" or "homegrown terrorist". Further, they seem to have taken notes from what Inspire magazine urges folks in America do, when they want to make a violent difference.

People have been worredly predicting such things for a while, and the current smart money seems to be on such events happening more frequently, not less.

And that makes me sad.

Posted Image

The difference being twofold: First, the Westboro Baptist Church numbers about a dozen or so people total, while there are many thousands of murderous terrorists; and second, even the hateful Westboro Baptists don't go around murdering people.

They werent even from Chechnya. The media and social media keep saying that but they werent born in Chechnya or even ever lived there. Its like saying I am from France because some of my ancestors were. As hard is Chechnya is to remember how to spell, where they really are from is even harder to spell or even remember.

As far as I have heard, the older brother was born in Chechnya. The younger brother was born in Dagestan, which is a neighbour of Chechnya. Both seemed to hold personal ties to Chechnya on social networking sites (members of various groups etc), so it's not quite the same as your analogy above.