Ever Been To A House Of Worship Outside Your Faith?

prisonchaplain

I've been in Buddhist Temples, a Lubavitch synagogue, a mosque (all day in that one), a Jehovah's Witness convention, Scofield Church (named after Scofield, the Father of Dispensationalism), a Catholic Church (wedding), and the world's largest church (membership for a single congregation)--which happened to be Pentecostal. The closest a came to an LDS house of worship was the musical put on at the Pacific Cultural Center, in Hawaii.

Has anyone else been "elsewhere?" What were your feelings and impressions?

I grew up Baptist until in my teens. Attended Catholic church while serving my mission in Puerto Rico.

Many good people and many good traditions. The man who was pastor of the Baptist Church we attended was a very devoted man and even today I can remember that he loved the Lord.

Ben Raines

I grew up RLDS (still am presently), but when I was a teen my mother took me to a AoG tent revival. Blew me away. I was not use to all that holering, hands uplifted and people talking in jibberish not to mention people getting knocked down to the ground by someone else touching them. It scared me.

But as an adult and as of the last three years I have been worshipping in an AoG as well as a Covenant church. One could say I received another baptism of the Holy Spirit at an AoG church and now I hold my hands up, have a prayer language and I have been known to be slain in the Spirit every now and then. :-)

Yep,

My mom's Mormon (like me), my dad goes to a Nazarene church, his parents are Baptist, my uncle was Episcopal, now he's Anglican, my best friend is Muslim and my wife is Catholic.

Depending what family member I visit depends where I go. If any one else finds them selves in this situation and follows suit, make this note. "Don't visit multiple friends/ relatives over the weekend, here's a story why.

I visited my best friend in PA. on fri. went to Mosque that night. Got up early Sat. drove to D.C. went to mass Sat. afternoon at the National basilica with my wife. Drove to Maryland to see my uncle went to mass Sat. night. Got up very early Sun. morning drove to my grandparents house in Virginia went to church at 8:00am. Drove to my dads house went to church at 11:00AM.

Didn't have the ambition to go find a local LDS church in VA to see if there was a ward that met in the afternoon, and it wouldn't shock me at this point if there was.

yep. been into a couple of different houses of worship.

nothing bad to say about any of them. felt closer to God in all of them.

i think what's within counts for a lot more than what's without

I found this comment particularly interesting. We are told that post-moderns (our current generation) are far more interested in authenticity and positive experiential spirituality, than they are in being the most correct doctrinally.

Growing up, I used to feel negative spiritually when I was in the midst of spirituality that I believed was not in line with Christianity. As I've gotten older, I do see the good in most forms of practice. What I wonder is whether I am being conditioned and desensitized, or whether I am truly becoming more mature.

I've been to about every Christian denomination church you could think of... Baptist, Catholic, non-denom, Methodist, Presbyterian, LDS, Episcopal, Lutheran, Disciples of Christ, AoG, etc. Grew up in a Reformed church (UCC), and grandparents were Catholic so I went there a lot as a child and started again in college.

I haven't been to a mosque or synagogue, though I'd like to experience the synagogue.

I have recently visited about every Christian church in a 15 mile radius or so from my house looking for a church to call home. Just when I thought I settled on a huge contemporary non-denom, I have started to crave a traditional service like I've found at an Episcopal or traditional Methodist church. There is a Methodist church that offers both contemporary and traditional services, so maybe I'll try that one again.

If it weren't for the Episcopals being so darn liberal (around here anyway), I'd go there, as I really like their service and Catholic feel.

I have been to many, but I'll never forget getting on the Church Bus on Wednesday night with a kid on my block and going to a Texas Pentacostal Chapel off of I-45 near Red Oak. After a short introduction and a definition of prayer and the gift of tongues, the lights were cut and nothing but the dimmest candlelight allowed me to see the minister make his way toward me as the room erupted in shouts, la-la-las and ole-ohs.

The twenty-something year old pastor asked me who I was, where I was from, if I was saved, if I went to church, etc. I told him my name, that I WAS saved, that I was Mormon, etc. He asked me to pray and I prayed that I would get safely home. I was very scared. I was 9 or 10. I never went again.

In my teens and adult life, I have been to lots of others, but none were so frightening. lol

-a-train

PS: I can say that correct doctrine is a huge deal with me, but the BIGGEST concern in my mind is the calling of those who lead. I believe Joseph Smith the Prophet and the Utah LDS Church to hold the actual Priesthood of God and to be the true messengers of Jesus Christ in our time being led directly by Him. Not to say this means the ministry of non-LDS pastors is wickedness (although plenty preistcraft practicing, lying, deceivers are out there) or that they are for naught. Indeed, those who do works of righteousness and charity in the name of the Lord, though they know not the Restored Church, will be blessed just the same.

"Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part. For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward."

(Mark 9:39-41)

Let's see, been to a synagogue (Eugene, Oregon), a couple of mosques (Turkey and Sweden), several different types of Protestant churches (mostly fundamentalist) in Oregon and Sweden, Catholic in Oregon, Russian Eastern Orthodox (Moscow and St. Petersburg), Buddhist temples in China, as well as spending a day in an ashram in Portland, Oregon.

I can appreciate that comment about being liberal......LOL!!!!!!!

Yeah, nothing like being preached to from the pulpit about politics! That is a terribly annoying to me. It's like they assume that everyone in the congregation is of the same opinion as they are.

I was originally speaking about the priest of the Episcopal Church who has made it her mission to speak out against the death penalty... seemed like that's all she talked about for an entire sermon.

But then I'm reminded of the time I unknowingly went to a UCC church that was designated as Open and Affirming (meaning they openly welcome homosexuals). That's great and all, but I don't want to be in the minority as a straight person and watch two guys rub each other backs, hold hands, etc. I don't do that as a straight person in church. But back to the subject, they spoke the entire time about gay rights and how the war was so wrong and our leaders are so bad. Not much about Jesus in that sermon! I was driving my husband's car with an NRA sticker on it, and was sure I was going to be mobbed and chased out of the parking lot afterward! ;)

<div class='quotemain'>

I found this comment particularly interesting. We are told that post-moderns (our current generation) are far more interested in authenticity and positive experiential spirituality, than they are in being the most correct doctrinally.

Growing up, I used to feel negative spiritually when I was in the midst of spirituality that I believed was not in line with Christianity. As I've gotten older, I do see the good in most forms of practice. What I wonder is whether I am being conditioned and desensitized, or whether I am truly becoming more mature.

Just a guess, but I think it's Spiritual maturity. God is love. We've been given commandments and guide lines for our own protection. But I think we've also been given discernment to open our eyes.

LDS believe that each generation is born a little stronger spiritually than the one before it. In order for the righteous to turn bad, they have to be VERY bad, but many will have the understanding that will help usher in the Millenium. I've heard them called "Ephriam's children". I've heard a Jewish Rabbi discuss the spiritual awareness of the new generation, he called them something else (blue something).

Are you familiar with Saturday's Warriors?

Who are these children coming down,

Coming down like gentle rain through darkened skies?

With glory trailing from their feet as they go?

And endless promise in their eyes?

Who are these young ones growin' tall, growing strong

Like silver trees against the storm?

Who will not bend with the wind or the change

But stand to fight the world alone?

(chorus)

These are the few, the warriors save for Saturday

To come the last days of the world these are they on Saturday

These are the strong, the warriors rising in their might

To win the battle raging in the hearts of man on Saturday

Strangers from a realm of light who have forgotten all

The mem'ry of their former life, the purpose of their call

And so they must learn why they're here and who they really are.

They must learn why they're here and who they are.

In their sunbright armor they march forth to conquer all

And with their swards ablaze with fir watch the darkness fall

But first they must learn why they're here and who they really are

They must learn why they're here and who they are.

Words and Music by Doug Stewart and Lex de Azevedo

some inspiration by Walt Whitman

<div class='quotemain'>

I can appreciate that comment about being liberal......LOL!!!!!!!

Yeah, nothing like being preached to from the pulpit about politics! That is a terribly annoying to me. It's like they assume that everyone in the congregation is of the same opinion as they are.

I was originally speaking about the priest of the Episcopal Church who has made it her mission to speak out against the death penalty... seemed like that's all she talked about for an entire sermon.

But then I'm reminded of the time I unknowingly went to a UCC church that was designated as Open and Affirming (meaning they openly welcome homosexuals). That's great and all, but I don't want to be in the minority as a straight person and watch two guys rub each other backs, hold hands, etc. I don't do that as a straight person in church. But back to the subject, they spoke the entire time about gay rights and how the war was so wrong and our leaders are so bad. Not much about Jesus in that sermon! I was driving my husband's car with an NRA sticker on it, and was sure I was going to be mobbed and chased out of the parking lot afterward! ;)

A friend of mine told me a few years ago that he and his wife and family were looking for a new Church to attend. He went on to tell me that the politics of the Pastor would play a big role into which one they attended. I did find that interesting!!!

...The twenty-something year old pastor asked me who I was, where I was from, if I was saved, if I went to church, etc. I told him my name, that I WAS saved, that I was Mormon, etc. He asked me to pray and I prayed that I would get safely home. I was very scared. I was 9 or 10. I never went again.

In my teens and adult life, I have been to lots of others, but none were so frightening. lol

LOL, I can relate. Before my family started attending our Lutheran church, my sister and I would attend my friend's Pentecostal church. When the boisterous preaching would start, my friend would laugh, while my sister and I sat timidly - my Mom said we had nightmares.

I've attended Pentecostal, Anglican, Salvation Army, LDS, Catholic for weddings and funerals, Eastern Orthodox wedding, and very memorable was People's Church (very liberal in worship style) - quite the opposite of LDS. The first 30 minutes at People's Church, the adults worship in a variety of different ways; very exuberant with speaking in tongues, dancing, quite noisy - while the children are very quiet, colouring until their parents are finished.

M.

I have always made a point of visiting sacred places when I travel. I especially enjoy visiting ancient places of worship and sacred ground; I also enjoy LDS historical sites.

I have always considered it an honor to be invited to other’s worship and on occasions I have been honored to be asked to join the worship and offer an LDS prayer. A few times I have been honored to address congregations to explain LDS beliefs.

Most impressive to me has been to be with Buddhist monks to be taught awareness through meditation and to be instructed by a Native American in the rite of “Dream Quest” and to meditate in a sweat lodge.

The most disappointing to me was the cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris. When I was there, worship service was in progress and the tourists around me were rude and disruptive to the worshipers. The other disappointment was attending an ancient Polynesian ritual to find out later that the ceremonial drink was a potent drug.

The Traveler

The most disappointing to me was the cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris. When I was there, worship service was in progress and the tourists around me were rude and disruptive to the worshipers. The other disappointment was attending an ancient Polynesian ritual to find out later that the ceremonial drink was a potent drug.

The Traveler

Was it Kava?

to meditate in a sweat lodge.

All new federal chaplains are given the opportunity to participate in an abbreviated and mild (temperature) sweat lodge ceremony. Interestingly, the spiritual leader that led it encouraged to meditate/pray to our own God, while being mindful of the nature they were respecting. A few chaplains chose not to join in, but I find myself able to do so without compromising my faith. I can see that the experience would indeed give the sense of spiritual cleansing and renewal.

I've attended Eastern Orthodox, Catholic and Methodist for weddings, Jewish synagogue, and Baptist.

I got a kick out of the preacher at the Baptist Church. He was this huge charismatic black preacher who worked himself up into a frenzy during his sermon, until he reached the peak of intensity at which point he started adding "ah" to the end of almost every word (not a new practice, I understand it happened in the 19th century too). So for example, he'd be saying,

"So you've got to pray-ah! And you've got to read-ah, the holy-ah scriptures-ah! And beg the Lord-ah to forgive-ah, your many sins-ah!"

Quite the speaker.

<div class='quotemain'>

All new federal chaplains are given the opportunity to participate in an abbreviated and mild (temperature) sweat lodge ceremony. Interestingly, the spiritual leader that led it encouraged to meditate/pray to our own God, while being mindful of the nature they were respecting. A few chaplains chose not to join in, but I find myself able to do so without compromising my faith. I can see that the experience would indeed give the sense of spiritual cleansing and renewal.

So, PC, do you believe we are praying to the same God? I know many Evangelicals don't. I think we are, because the thing in us that makes us seek Spiritual enlightenment, aka communicate with God, is the Light of Christ that is in all of us. Those of us that think we are correct about God's true nature, still don't know everything. So it's degrees of correctness we're talking about, right? I can't see Father turning His back on people trying to reach Him in the only way they know how.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

So, PC, do you believe we are praying to the same God? I know many Evangelicals don't. I think we are, because the thing in us that makes us seek Spiritual enlightenment, aka communicate with God, is the Light of Christ that is in all of us. Those of us that think we are correct about God's true nature, still don't know everything. So it's degrees of correctness we're talking about, right? I can't see Father turning His back on people trying to reach Him in the only way they know how.

I SO agree with you, Rosewood!

I've been to Catholic Mass a couple times (as well as as a couple Midnight Masses), attended a Pentacostal srevice (was startled when the people around me began standing up and speaking in tongues), attended a Baptist funeral (was shocked at the fire and brimstone called down on the 'unsaved' in the audience, entertaining but unsuitable for the situation in my mind. The family was very distraught and the preacher offered no consolation.), recieved an invitation to attend a snake-handler church (turned the offer down).

On my mission we taught a girl who happened to be the daughter of a Baptist minister. He was a very nice guy, said his daughter could attend our church if we would attend his church. We agreed. When we got there, he introduced us as guest speakers to his congregation. So we preached the gospel. I wasn't used to the 'amens', 'hallelujahs', and 'praise the Lords' as I talked. But it was interesting and I think well-received. The people came up to us after and thanked us for coming.

Shade, you are so right about whats within. I have been to a Sunday Service at the Vatican in Rome, and I was very surprised to find I felt the spirit. But I suppose we were still worshipping the Lord even though they didn't have the 'fulness' of the gospel. I was concerned at first, I thought, hang on this shouldnt be happening, but then afterwards when I thought about it I realised it was quite normal-I was in tune with the spirit therefore I was able to feel his prescence. However, I have been to church of England services all my life having been to a church of England school (Easter, Christmas, harvest). While I love these churches for their architecture and history (the one in my home town dates back to the 1100s) I feel nothing in their services. I find them, empty, repetitive and without the spirit. The only thing I think when I go there is how grateful I am for the gospel. Its strange, because quite a few times I have realised my own testimony of the church by attending OTHER churches-I realised that something was missing-The spirit, and that has reconfirmed my own testimony of the gospel. I have been to a sikh mosque too. Lovely people, but I didnt feel the spirit!!

I’ve been to most main stream Christian churches in my life plus Buddhist and Jewish. The only place I DID NOT feel the Spirit was in the Church of the Brethren, which is similar to Baptist. It was 1967 and the Pastor who was very hell-fire-and-brimstone loved to preach about the evils of long hair. It drove me crazy! I now understand it’s my responsibility to bring the Spirit with me, not just wait to be fed.

Actually I was almost baptized in that church. Jesus was baptized so I wanted to be, but when we got into the font in front of the congregation the Pastor said, “Congratulation on joining our church!” I said, “I don’t want to join your church, I just want to be baptized!” He said I had to join the church if I wanted to be baptized, it’s in the Bible. So we discussed it for a few minutes, decided I wouldn’t be baptized and sat down.

I wasn’t real gutsy at 16, but I knew what I didn’t want! :annoyed:

I finally found a Pastor of a Lutheran church that would baptize me without joining the church when I was 20. Bare foot and in my jeans, just he & I alone by the alter, I got sprinkled. It was one of the most Spiritual and significant moments of my life.

:flowers::peace: