Flat front or pleated

bytor2112

Ok guys and gals....flat front suit pants or pleated and why? And lace up dress shoes or slip ons and why?

I have always bought pleated and fear the flat fronts, but, I ordered some new suits from JOS Banks last week and they shipped a pair of pants that were flat front. I ordered them by mistake and may exchange them when I take the suits to be tailored. Incidentally, I ordered my sons mission suits from JOS Banks and they were the only place I could find that you could get (2) pairs of pants with the suits and the quality was very nice for a 100% Merino wool suit at a greqt price. Not Hart Schaffner Marx or Brooks Brothers...but nice.

Once upon a time I wore slip on dress shoes and then I changed to lace ups...mostly Johnson Murphy cap toe or wing tip and while I sometimes want to get daring and buy some slip on loafer types....I just can't do it.

Lace up dress shoes because I can cinch them down if needed. I suppose it really matters how much you are going to be walking in them. For my mission you couldn't have convinced me to do slip-ons, but you probably could now since I only seem to wear them around the Church building these days. As far as pleats, it's not really something I think about. I'd have to go check if you wanted to know if my slacks have pleats or not.

Edited by Dravin

Personal preference is for pleated; but now that I suffer from Dunlap disease (stomach done lapped over beltline) it can look kind of messy, so Just_A_Girl's instructions are flat-front until/unless I can lose a few.

(Incidentally, supposedly there's some kind of rule that you should only do a cuffed leg on pleated front trousers, not straight front.)

Personal preference is for pleated; but now that I suffer from Dunlap disease (stomach done lapped over beltline) it can look kind of messy, so Just_A_Girl's instructions are flat-front until/unless I can lose a few.

(Incidentally, supposedly there's some kind of rule that you should only do a cuffed leg on pleated front trousers, not straight front.)

Interesting I would have thought pleated for dunlap disease....

As a woman, I think a flat front is much more attractive on most men, and it's definitely what I prefer on my husband. Pleats add pounds and years, so it depends on your weight and body shape, as well as your age, I guess.

As for shoes, I agree with Dravin on the purpose of the shoes -- for a missionary, slip-ons aren't particularly practical because they'll stretch easily without a way to cinch them back tight again.

I've always only known lace-up shoes as dress shoes. My dad always wore wingtips, and my husband wears a more casual lace-up shoe to work and with his suits, like these. Over the last 5-10 years, however (perhaps with the popularization of the metrosexual), I've seen a surge in the popularity of dressy slip-on styles for men, such as these. Some I like, but mostly I'm not excited about them.

This is true.

Pleated or straight to me depends on the build of the person. A heavier person doesn't look as nice in pleated pants. Just my opinion of course. :)

Pleated or straight to me depends on the build of the person. A heavier person doesn't look as nice in pleated pants. Just my opinion of course. :)

Actually, flat front plants makes a big belly stick out more so heavier men would look (and feel) better in pleated pants. Of course, if you wear a suit jacket over it, the big belly won't be as noticeable no matter what pants you wear. If you have big thighs (like soccer players) or big butt, the pleated pants look (and feel) better.

But for those with slim figure, either one will look good except if you have short legs (like Michael Fassbender) then the pleated pants make your legs look shorter. The pleated pants are more comfortable for a wide range of movement. The flat front pants show off a slim figure better. If you like putting a lot of stuff in your front pockets you won't have much room with flat front pants. Flat front pants go in and out of style whereas pleated pants have been steady on the fashion trend.

Okay, my husband was a runway model...

Yes we know. I think you've mentioned probably about 50 times now. :)

My husband was a runway model... there, now it's 51.

And he wears Johnston and Murphys exclusively. Slip ons for work and laces for Church.

wear an open suit (pleated and laces, of course...) at the end of a runway. Have one foot slightly ahead of the other, one hand in your pocket. Then look at the ground about thirty feet ahead of you and smile as though you just remembered a really good joke. Have a 747 scream overhead behind you.

It might work...