What would you like to see on lds.net?

pam

So we are looking into the future and revamping/redesigning lds.net. We would like to add new things to the site but still maintaining the entire reason people come to lds.net and that's the forums.

So these are some of the things we have considered:

Creating an app for lds.net

Providing training for people in things like how to create quality LDS memes they can share.

Provide ideas and ways that anyone can share the gospel via social media.

Have links to blogs or other venue for things such as recipes etc.

How to help missionaries financially. Not only with the mission itself but we were thinking of ways we could help those financially strapped in getting ready to go such as clothes, medical exams, dental etc.

We would like to provide a lot of resources and ideas as sites such as sugardoodle and others but still maintain the core function of the site (forums.)

What kinds of things would you like to see?

This is NOT to talk about moderators. Also chat WILL NOT be an option to return.

Your turn.

ps. These would be things other than the forums.

I'll be presenting these ideas at a meeting in the next week.

Edited by pam

I would like an app.

Also ideas on how to reach out to nonmembers, particularly on the internet through social groups like facebook.

We already use the facebook pages to help people understand us better. I would like some advice on what is good to share and what is not.

At this time I do not share missionary encouragement. I review what I share and how it will affect the people I have on my friends list. Not sure sometimes so would like some sort of feedback.

Could we have a secure forum so that our questions do not go out on google or other search engines? Missionary work is a very misunderstood thing outside the church and I have no desire to offend my friends.

1) To be able to embed youtube videos.

2) Automatic auto-sizing large images.

Here, here! (On both counts!)

I also like the idea of an app.

I think the meme idea would quickly spin out of control and get annoying, but I'm probably in the minority on that, like on so many other things here. :)

I'd like everyone to have profile pics again.

Here, here! (On both counts!)

I also like the idea of an app.

I think the meme idea would quickly spin out of control and get annoying, but I'm probably in the minority on that, like on so many other things here. :)

I'd like everyone to have profile pics again.

The idea is not to post memes. It's to teach how to create quality memes that people can share on facebook as a way to spread the gospel via social media. We are thinking about doing some training videos that people can watch and use. How to do memes, how to do youtube videos etc.

We are already aware of problems the site has with some technical features. The new lds.net would involve entire update of software. We are already looking into that. I am looking to find out what kind of content other than forums you think would be helpful.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. But what's new huh? These are things aside from the forums that you would like to see. :)

Edited by pam

Another thing we would like to do is to create a form (link would be provided) for people to fill out that would like to assist in different ways. Whether they be sharing things that TheMoreGoodFoundation puts out via websites and social media, moderating social media sites, have an interest in writing articles, want to help create youtube videos or memes and many more.

Perhaps a file of photos that can be used for memes? Or even memes themselves for use on social media? I would like to see some links to music that are legal to use that does not involve the tabernacle choir. I like the choir but there are other forms of music that might be good to go with scriptures.

Wow anne, you are coming up with some great ideas. Keep them coming.

Amazingly most of these we have discussed but I wanted to find out if there was an interest in them.

The idea is not to post memes. It's to teach how to create quality memes that people can share on facebook as a way to spread the gospel via social media. We are thinking about doing some training videos that people can watch and use. How to do memes, how to do youtube videos etc.

all I know is ponies... do those two go? lol

I have a very simple, but technically ecclectic want.

I would like to go to lds.net, and be able to immediately use the down arrow or page down button.

Right now, when I go to lds.net, neither works, unless I first click on the page with my mouse.

I don't like having to move from mouse to keyboard. It wastes valuable tenths of seconds.

As far as content, how about:

- Link exchange area: some of us have blogs and it might be nice to have an area where we can be linked to in exchange for a link to lds.net on a person's front or links page.

- Talk/Sharingtime /collection exchange area: Post a talk or primary sharing time that we have given so that we can help each other out when it becomes our time to perform.

Can someone give an example of a gospel sharing meme? Memes to me are trendy, usually low ball, humor preying on stuff that was fresh once for about 5 minutes. You say meme and I think of the 850,000th "I can haz cheezeburger".

As far as a productive thought: It would be nice to see a prominent statement of purpose on the portal page. I suspect that is the intent behind the Elder Ballard quote, but it's not entirely clear that it's not a spotlighted article. Additionally, and this may be more work for you, it would be nice to see your Daily LDS Quote on the portal (I won't give layout suggestions as that's probably gonna change with the upgrade).

Hidden

here's a funny meme idea, picture of a guy sitting down, and like has a bible on the table (or Book of Mormon either works) and is playing a Gameboy or whatever the current handheld is and the caption "do you even read"

speaking of cats, I wonder how many times I can make a grumpy cat meme and not laugh, I assume never

Some great ideas so far. I think we should also have better integration with vineyard.lds.org and create.lds.org. I'd hate to see us inadvertently competing with, rather than complimenting, those sites.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Can someone give an example of a gospel sharing meme? Memes to me are trendy, usually low ball, humor preying on stuff that was fresh once for about 5 minutes. You say meme and I think of the 850,000th "I can haz cheezeburger".

As far as a productive thought: It would be nice to see a prominent statement of purpose on the portal page. I suspect that is the intent behind the Elder Ballard quote, but it's not entirely clear that it's not a spotlighted article. Additionally, and this may be more work for you, it would be nice to see your Daily LDS Quote on the portal (I won't give layout suggestions as that's probably gonna change with the upgrade).

Posted Image

I used the word meme because that is what people are familiar with. But you are correct. Memes are usually meant in humor or sarcasm etc. Here at MGF what we create as far as "memes" we actually call "quote images."

Great suggestion btw.

Here's my ideas..

1. Have a Fast Sunday live feed at the top of the forum where members can share their testimonies, and after 24 hours, have it closed and reset for the next Fast Sunday.

2. Utilise a Badge System. This might be fun for members to show their appreciation to fellow members by gifting "badges" for things like: "Shared Testimony" or "Informative Post" or "Great Food For Thought" and such. Members could receive multiple badges of appreciation and they could be publicly displayed under username in forums, or privately displayed on profiles.

Posted Image

I used the word meme because that is what people are familiar with. But you are correct. Memes are usually meant in humor or sarcasm etc. Here at MGF what we create as far as "memes" we actually call "quote images."

Great suggestion btw.

b-b-but grumpy cat and ponies...

ahh I'll see what I can come up with, maybe something with a Paladin, I got some funny ideas:lol: