Mormonisms

pam

Apart from my children, I'm the only Mormon in my family. Here's a short list of things that regular,y make my family pause and blink:

Shut the front door ... And all other swearing substitutes

Bishops. In every other branch of Christianity the office of bishop is a MUCH "bigger" deal.

Word of Wisdom / Law of Chastity

No camisoles / tank tops in summer?!?!?

Loooooooove the word "edify".

Ties. Enough said.

Basketball courts IN the church building

Boyscouts / Eagle Scouts

Actual phrase "Heavenly Father"

(While a few nonLDS use HF... If a person mentions HF&boyscouts... I'll actually lay money on knowing their religion)

Wards & Stakes instead of congregations and Parishes

FHE

Law of chastity (again) in the whole dating sphere. Really. Really really really. It's like "no sex before marriage... But what about when you're dating?" Um. Hence the law. "But..."

Not having a single priest conduct most services. / not having full time priests

That's just the point. It's got everything a typical cultural hall activity has:

• Basketball floor
  • A senior missionary couple stopping by
  • Those plastic tables
  • Those plastic tablesheets
  • Red water cooler
  • Vastly under-sized water cooler
  • Improvised surfaces
  • Balloons filled with air, not helium
  • Those sliding doors

It's got that "you kinda have to be there to get the point" kinda quality to it. :P

I think my favorite part was that the balloon was just taped to the accordion divider. Just taped there. All alone. No other balloons with it. Completely random and lonely.

Bishops. In every other branch of Christianity the office of bishop is a MUCH "bigger" deal.

Not having a single priest conduct most services. / not having full time priests

The Bishop and his counselors are Priesthood bearers and they always lead our services.

I am a full time Priest, I also have a full time job, but my Priesthood is always in effect.

In any Church a Bishop is a leader over a number of Priests -- same thing in the LDS Church.

I do understand what you mean, but we're not all that different except the Priesthood is given to all worthy males and we don't get paid monetarily for it, thus the need for other employment.

Edited by mnn727

"Too many people brought deviled eggs." Probably the only thing you'll ever hear at a Mormon potluck that would get you lynched at a Methodist one.

Of course, once they realize that I apparently have no limit when it comes to deviled eggs, the Mormons stop saying it too.

(Seriously. Grandma made a platter of 3 dozen one time, then found out it was the wrong weekend for the potluck. Granddad and I ate them *all* for lunch, with no ill effects.)

• 2 weeks later...

I think my favorite part was that the balloon was just taped to the accordion divider. Just taped there. All alone. No other balloons with it. Completely random and lonely.

That's why my husband and I were married in the Relief Society classroom :P

Okay, here's an odd one. I had a dream last night that I had to go to a work party. I put on a knee length dress and was ready to go when I decided to change my garment bottoms from cotton poly to dri silk. I get to the party and right in the middle of the crowd realize I'd put on my midcalf bottoms that I wear with my skinny jeans instead of the knee length ones. I had about 6 inches of garment leg showing plainly!

Only a Mormon would have a nightmare like that!

Okay, here's an odd one. I had a dream last night that I had to go to a work party. I put on a knee length dress and was ready to go when I decided to change my garment bottoms from cotton poly to dri silk. I get to the party and right in the middle of the crowd realize I'd put on my midcalf bottoms that I wear with my skinny jeans instead of the knee length ones. I had about 6 inches of garment leg showing plainly!

Only a Mormon would have a nightmare like that!

It probably looked like cute leggings underneath your skirt! Well, except that it was dri-silque. If you'd left the cotton-poly ones, they even have a lace band at the bottom!