Let's talk pie!

Dravin

Okay, the first pies of the season just got pulled out of the oven. You often see a variety of pies at large family gatherings so it got me thinking, what pies are iconic for you for the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, or both)?

For me it's pumpkin pie, and I'm a pie snob, it has to be homemade and it has to be the Libby's recipe with a Marie Callender's crust. I will go without pumpkin pie before accepting any substitute. Every once in a while I'll try something store bought wondering if maybe it isn't as bad as I remember, or thinking my tastes may have changed... nope. It is always a disappointment. Luckily the in-laws enjoy pie the way I like it so I can justify making a couple pies. I'd have a hard time justifying making a pie just for myself but to be honest I'd probably find a way if push came to shove. It just isn't the holidays without pumpkin pie.

When I was in still living close to my folks homemade pecan pie was another iconic holiday pie, because it is my Father's favorite pie, I even found a recipe I liked that doesn't use corn syrup and so isn't as sickeningly sweet as your standard corn syrup recipe.

So, what pies are a must for you or your family? And make sure to chime in with your pie snobbery concerning type, recipe, or source.

Edited by Dravin

Apple pies. But they can't be too sweet -- yuck. Sister Vort makes them perfectly, as does my second son (currently on a mission, so I guess his companion will be the beneficiary of his baking prowess).

Does she follow a recipe? Or is she a pinch or this, scoop or that kind of baker? I agree with you about overly sweet pie being disappointing, it is one of the reasons I occasionally add cranberries to apple pie/crisps.

Speaking of cranberries I need to make my yearly batch of cranberry sauce/freezer jam...

All recipe-based. My wife is an excellent cook; it's a talent she has developed well over the last 20 or so years. She has collected a lot of recipes and actively looks for others, trying out many different things. But she only ventures out fairly timidly from how the recipes are written. She is very creative, so as she continues to gain mastery, I expect she'll start experimenting with going off-recipe more often.

My process tends to be:

1) Follow the recipe to the letter.

2) Make basic proportion adjustments (a little less salt, some extra pepper, a couple of extra carrots, and so on).

3) Ingredient substitution (swap out butternut squash for sweet potatoes, or potatoes for rutabaga).

4) Free handing the dish based on a basic outline that originates with the recipe and course corrections using senses (smell, touch, taste...)

Though obviously one can do the fourth one easier with cooking, baking is more persnickety and requires more forethought to adjustments.

My son had a birthday not too long ago and when asked what he wants for his birthday his response is... Pumpkin Pie. Yep. Not toys, not books, not video games... Pumpkin Pie.

So, he got all different kinds of Pumpkin Pie on his bday. He tasted them all and so I asked him which one he likes the best and his answer - All of them. Yep.

I'm not a pie person. I'll eat an apple pie or a key lime pie but it's not something I look for.

Hidden

I find the more familiar I become with a recipe (or class of recipes) the more I move down the following scale:

1) Follow the recipe with exactness.

2) Make basic seasoning or proportion adjustments (e.g. less salt, more carrots, extra pepper).

3) Basic ingredient substitution (swap out butternut squash for sweet potato, or replace potatoes with rutabaga).

4) Free hand the recipe based on a basic outline originating from the recipe and using the five senses to make corrections so it is inline with how it 'should' turn out.

Obviously the last one is easier with cooking and trickier with baking. Baking can be a bit persnickety and can require more forethought due to the chemistry involved or because mid-course corrections are often not possible.

Our family tradition is pie. Lots of them. My younger sister and I used to make all the pies for the Thanksgiving holiday that we held at her house. (We no longer do. It's a 3.5 hour drive for my family, and most of my adult children can't get the time off from work). We would typically make 20 to 30 pies. Most of them were pumpkin pies, and then we'd make apple, cherry, and banana cream, with an occasional chocolate pie thrown into the mix. One year we made 40 pies. And, yes, they all got eaten during the holiday weekend. We would be there from Wednesday through Sunday. There were a lot of teenage boys, and the boys would often eat a pie on their own, if not two.

For pumpkin pie it has to be the Libby's recipe. I follow it to the T. Even if it's not Libby's pumpkin, I still use the Libby's recipe. We would often can our own pumpkin, and then use the Libby's recipe. Crust, we're not so picky on. I make the Better Homes and Gardens recipe. It has always worked for me. We've tried store bought crust, not as good as homemade.

As for store bought pumpkin pies, I can't stand them, unless it's Costco's pumpkin pie. I can handle the Costco, but it still isn't as good as the homemade Libby's recipe.

For pumpkin pie it has to be the Libby's recipe. I follow it to the T. Even if it's not Libby's pumpkin, I still use the Libby's recipe. We would often can our own pumpkin, and then use the Libby's recipe.

This day I call you my sister in pumpkin piedom.

Nothing but pumpkin pie on my side, handmade by my mom (and actually using banana squash, not pumpkins, which are sweeter and richer).

On my husband's side, a dessert with a nut crust, cheesecake layer, and another layer of chocolate or fruit pie filling. It's delicious and I've gotten pretty good at making it myself.

Pie! All Pie!

My personal favorite is Pumpkin made with my grandmother's recipe. Her crust too. My sisters compare our versions of grandma's crust. We had each made pie with her and wrote down how to make the crust. Each recipe is a bit different.

After pumpkin, my favorite is apple (from my bottled apples) and cherry (made from my bottled lambert cherries).

Then there is my grandmother's mincemeat recipe. This is to die for. I haven't made it for a few years. I probably should make it this year. Its not the normal raisin version. It has apples and lemons and raisins or course, but it also has MEAT! Its yummy.

My husband's favorite is Banana Cream. I use the Lion House recipe with Grandma's crust. My SIL likes lemon.

I make a lot of pies for the holidays starting the day before Thanksgiving... Today!

Today... I have started with four pumpkin and 1 apple and crust for 2 banana cream and 1 lemon cream.

I have to make two more pumpkin. :( When I walked my son to his car when he got ready to leave, the dang dog ate holes in the first two pumpkin. GRRRRRR!!! I guess she likes them too.

I bought a blueberry-peach pie from a local pie shop (I wanted to support local business!), and I'll be making an apple pie tonight, using this crust: http://www.recipegirl.com/2008/10/14/apple-cranberry-pie-with-oatmeal-cookie-crust/. and homemade canned apple pie filling.

I've never like pumpkin pie, I think because of the texture.

As for store bought pumpkin pies, I can't stand them, unless it's Costco's pumpkin pie. I can handle the Costco, but it still isn't as good as the homemade Libby's recipe.

I agree. Costco comes the closest.

I use LIbby canned pumpkin on the years I don't cook the pumpkins. This year I have 10 quarts of fresh pureed pumpkin. I even cooked/pureed the white pumpkin. ;)

I have two homemade pumpkin pies in the oven even as we speak. Why on earth do most recipes say to cover the pie crust after 15 minutes of baking??? That usually results in pumpkin pie filling sloshing all over the place and in burned hands. It is so much easier to covet the crust and remove the foil near the end of the baking time.

I wing it with several different kinds & types.

Meaning I go by taste.

The two standbys:

- Lard crust

- Phyllo Dough top (unless a baklava pie, in which case Phyllow dough bottom)

I've lived both autumn in November & spring in November.... So some of these show that.

Sweet (Ish)

- Apple, cinnamon, clove

- P'can

- blueberry spice & lemon (can't taste the lemon, makes blueberries pop)

- lemon drop (fizzy)

- baklava (made like traditional baklava... In a pie plate for the shape)

- salted caramel w ladyfingers (this was a failed tiramisu experiment, but made a great pie)

- Spice / mincemeat

- Scandanavian berry

- Orange & chocolate

- Strawberry & chocolate

- pinã colada

- heirloom tomato or golden tomato

Savory (Ish)

- Pear & Smokey bleu (rogue river creamery)

- Spicy Smokey Cherry

- Sweet potatoe & Camembert

- Mexican Chocolate

Q

I would like to wish you all a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!!!! Where ever we may be at on our journey of life....I hope we can see ....how blessed we truely are....even if were in a hard place......on our path.......To know that it will all work out for our best!!!!!

Im making chocolate pudding pie...its easy..was going to try to make these cute turkeys out of oreo's but desided maybe next yr......I saw it on the food network today....it doesnt look hard to make just to much sweets......

Edited by Roseslipper

Grandma's Pumpkin Pie. I can eat store bought heavy pumpkin pies, but I only can do a sliver not a slice.

Apple, Cherry, Pecan, Chocolate Meringue and Lemon Meringue. ALL crusts are either lard or white shortening. Lemon is from fresh lemons. We topped the pies with heavy whipping cream.

My Aunt Jean would bring Death by Chocolate cake and eat hers in a bowl covered with milk!!

When I find Grandma's recipe for the pumpkin pie, I'll post it. Had to email my brother and sister for it. I really hate moving- so many things get lost in the move.