Marriage of murderer-Thoughts?

Dr T

Convicted murder of two women was married yesterday.  He is allowed conjugal visits in a cell.  The article is hear:  

General thoughts?  Ought be allowed to marry?  What are your thoughts about conjugal visits in prison? Some ladies appear envious at his marriage.   Thoughts about that?

Thank you,

Dr. T 

Isn't he only convicted of 1 murder?  He was a suspect in Natalie's murder but was never tried or convicted for that one.

And I'm against allowing them to marry or have conjugal visits.

Guest LiterateParakeet

For starters, I worry about any woman that would marry a man in prison.

About allowing inmates to marry and have conjugal visits, I don't have a firm opinion either way, but one thought I have it this:   Prison rape is real.  So if allowing conjugal visits will cut down on sexual assault, then maybe it isn't such a bad idea.  Some people get put in prison for drugs or involuntary manslaughter, prison rape should not be part of their punishment.  

You might be thinking that correctional officers should prevent rape...believe me they try.  Inmates can be very sneaky.  And not all correctional officers are honest (this can be said of any group of human beings).  So . . . 

On the one hand she's free to make her own stupid decisions.

On the other hand, he's being punished, it would be sickening if he is allowed to pursue a twisted sport of preying on women and we are assisting him in it.

Perhaps we allow it, if it turns out badly we won't be fooled twice.

Giving benefits like conjugal visits, extra tv or exercise time, time off for good behavior etc are the tools the prisons have to keep the inmates in line. Without such things, you tend to get a lot more prison riots that get guards killed, and the guards kind object to that kind of thing.

Guest LiterateParakeet

It is called Hybristophilia and it's very real.

Thanks Suzie.  I hadn't heard of that before, and you piqued my curiosity.  Very interesting (and unfortunate).  If anyone else is curious, there's an informative article HERE

The world renowned top best-selling writer alive - Danielle Steel - married a felon in the prison cafeteria...

As far as prisoners getting married... the prisoner has his rights suspended but the non-prisoner hasn't.  So that, although, one can say a prisoner has lost his right to marriage, the non-prisoner spouse has not and can therefore marry anybody she wants unless it's under-aged, incest, and in some states, homosexual...

The world renowned top best-selling writer alive - Danielle Steel - married a felon in the prison cafeteria...

As far as prisoners getting married... the prisoner has his rights suspended but the non-prisoner hasn't.  So that, although, one can say a prisoner has lost his right to marriage, the non-prisoner spouse has not and can therefore marry anybody she wants unless it's under-aged, incest, and in some states, homosexual...

The one difference with Danielle Steele is that she knew the man before she married him.  They had lived together for a time before he went back to prison.  

FWIW, she may be very successful but she has had one bizarre life.

Most of these women never knew the men they are marrying in prison.  

The one difference with Danielle Steele is that she knew the man before she married him.  They had lived together for a time before he went back to prison.  

FWIW, she may be very successful but she has had one bizarre life.

Most of these women never knew the men they are marrying in prison.  

Actually, she met the guy and started a relationship while he was in prison.  He got out, moved in with her, got caught for robbery and rape (if I remember correctly), and got sent back to prison... She divorced him after that.

But Steele's books are so wholesome and uplifting. 

Is there supposed to be a smiley to this?  I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

Steele had some good books and then it just went downhill... reflecting the turn her life made...