How do you pronounce "sherbet"?

Vort

I have no love for the stuff, so I simply avoid using the word altogether because I am not sure. As a child I picked up on calling it sure-bert, but when I learned to read I noticed that the packaging always spelled it wrong, you'd think a company selling sherbert would know how to spell it. :P  After continuing to see the incorrect spelling of sherbet pop up, and hearing others pronounce it so wrong sounding, I just decided to avoid the word.

I'm with SpiritDragon on this one.  I never have to pronounce it because I never ask for it.  If you get one of those fruit superfood juices (Odwalla or Naked Juice or something similar) you can pour it into a dish and freeze it.  You have to time it precisely, because you want something like frozen slush, but if you get it right it's delicious and is far superior to any telestial desserts.

I have no love for the stuff, so I simply avoid using the word altogether because I am not sure. As a child I picked up on calling it sure-bert, but when I learned to read I noticed that the packaging always spelled it wrong, you'd think a company selling sherbert would know how to spell it. :P  After continuing to see the incorrect spelling of sherbet pop up, and hearing others pronounce it so wrong sounding, I just decided to avoid the word.

Much like you'd expect the military to spell colonel like it's pronounced...

So this thread has led to my Wife and I finding we, along with everyone else, pronounce an awful lot of things wrong!

Bruschetta? isn't Brewsheta it is Brewsketa,   :eek: 

We've started picking random words and finding out the pronounciations, it's fun. How I love our hodgepodge language lol.

What do you call that fruit-juice-based, ice-cream-like frozen confection? It's spelled "sherbet". When you say "Sherbet tastes good," does it sound like "Sure, but tastes good" or "Sure, Bert tastes good"? (Sesame Street's Ernie with fangs, I guess.)

As a child, I said "sure bert", and I think I even spelled it "sherbert". Sometime in my adolescence, I figured out that the second "r" wasn't there in the word.

I used to laugh at the British pronunciation and spelling of "aluminium", but it's actually more consistent with how we name the other elements, and it was a neologism in any case. Why not use the "-ium" suffix? Not sure why we Americans decided to drop that last "i". Maybe because we aren't Americians.

When I was in fourth grade, my teacher, a sixty-five-year-old lady who was retiring at the end of the school year and was doubtless from the Midwest somewhere, pronounced our state's name "Worshington". That drove me crazy, even as a nine-year-old. (Especially since we lived in Idaho.)

(Just kidding about the Idaho thing.)

I just announce it "ice cream". :)

Not sure what everyone else has been talking about but when I think sherbet, im thinking of this:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherbet_(powder)

I've seen that stuff mentioned on website when I was looking up sherbet (due to this thread), I didn't realize the UK was one of the countries that calls that sherbet.

I'm pretty sure no Americans (myself included) will not know what the heck that is. I'm not sure you can even pick it up anywhere...

Edited by jerome1232

I've seen that stuff mentioned on website when I was looking up sherbet (due to this thread), I didn't realize the UK was one of the countries that calls that sherbet.

I'm pretty sure no Americans (myself included) will know what the heck that is. I'm not sure you can even pick it up anywhere...

I am positive while serving my mission in England I had some sherbet.