Why are some subjects taboo or ignored?

JojoBag

I don't think it is taboo to speak about evil spirits.   I just don't think evil spirits have as much reason to start trouble with most of us as they did with JS.   And I think that most of the world's evilness is now the result of the messages Satan helps spread rather than things evil spirits do.  I'd also surmise that most members are engaged in doing good and therefore don't have a lot of reason to talk about evil spirits.

Second, we don't speak about women healing because in the early twentieth century our leaders overturned what earlier leaders had said and asked women to quit giving blessings and ask the men to give them.   So that discussion is historical and has littel to do with us today.   In circles where the information is remembered, there is plenty of talk about what they did (though not so often followed up by recognition that church leaders asked women to quit.)

For a good twenty years around Pres. Benson's presidency, there was plenty of talk of conspiracies.   It got us nowhere, and a lot of people led astray.   Further various political people have hijacked the notion of conspiracy in government and in business such that it is quite easy to smirk when something is called a conspiracy when it isn't.   It isn't that this subject is taboo.   It is that whatever revelation exists on this subject  or secret combinations remains with the person who got it, who is not authorized to speak to the whole church about it.   And for everyone else there is a lot of trouble to be made by making conspiracies the subject of our conversation when we can only do what is within our own stewardship.   Furthermore, lots of members have heard Pres. Hinckley's counsel to simply get our personal lives in order.

Edited by thoughts

We should not spend much (if any) time talking about evil spirits. This has been clearly taught to us, and many among us have presonal experiences that bear out that counsel. That you happen to think that Joseph Smith's teachings mean that we should do such-and-such is of absolutely no consequence. It's merely your interpretation, and not truth.

I am sorry you can't, or won't, see this starkly obvious -->fact<--.

Can you give me some quotes and references from general authorities for what you think is "clearly taught to us?"  I would seriously like to read them.  If I am wrong, I want to know it, but I want to read it for myself.

Edited by JojoBag

Second, we don't speak about women healing because in the early twentieth century our leaders overturned what earlier leaders had said and asked women to quit giving blessings and ask the men to give them.   So that discussion is historical and has littel to do with us today.   In circles where the information is remembered, there is plenty of talk about what they did (though not so often followed up by recognition that church leaders asked women to quit.)

For a good twenty years around Pres. Benson's presidency, there was plenty of talk of conspiracies.   It got us nowhere, and a lot of people led astray.   Further various political people have hijacked the notion of conspiracy in government and in business such that it is quite easy to smirk when something is called a conspiracy when it isn't.   It isn't that this subject is taboo.   It is that whatever revelation exists on this subject  or secret combinations remains with the person who got it, who is not authorized to speak to the whole church about it.   And for everyone else there is a lot of trouble to be made by making conspiracies the subject of our conversation when we can only do what is within our own stewardship.   Furthermore, lots of members have heard Pres. Hinckley's counsel to simply get our personal lives in order.

Third, conspiracies of the last days. I've tried talking to members about "conspiracy theories" and I get one of two reactions: a blank look or a smirk. Even when I try to explain about Moroni's warning of a worldwide secret combination in Ether 8, I still get the smirk or blank look. The funny thing is that we are studying the teachings of President Benson, the church's leading conspiracy theorist.

Can you give me references where the church asked women to quit giving blessings?

As for Pres. Benson, how is what he wrote about not authorized.  Seriously, I'm curious.  We are told to stand up and speak up regarding the problems of today.  For example, Pres. David O. McKay stood up in general conference and said that every Latter-day Saint should read "The Naked Communist."  Elder Benson went around the country at the behest of Pres. McKay to give speeches on conspiracies of the last days.  How is that not authorized?

Could it be possible that the reasons for the push for food storage this year, keeping the Sabbath day holy, etc., are because we are in the final moments of the last days prior to the Savior's return?  Getting our personal house in order will allow us to survive the cleansing that is prophesied to come.

As for the round about way, I have found that the typical answer (although not in this case) is prefaced by, "Well, that's your revelation."  In other words, what they are saying is, "That's your opinion and it doesn't apply to me."  Unless you can show that something comes from a general authority, it isn't true or is just your own opinion.  Unfortunately, even then, I have found that with this subject, in addition to many other subjects, the LDS ignore what is actually taught because it conflicts with their conceived LDS traditions or what they were taught growing up or their own interpretation, etc.. even when that tradition or belief is in conflict with the gospel.

Mormonism isn't a religion that insists on nailing every little detail down-- quite the opposite, we believe God has yet to reveal many things.  We believe profoundly in asking God ourselves for wisdom we need on this road of life, receiving personal instruction.   By definition, such personal instruction is for that person, and not necessarily another.  Likewise, one person cannot live off the testimony of another, but both must seek the Lord themselves.  

As every person's life-roads are individual, of course they're going to focus on different things!  For instance, I'm majorly called to Family History work, and study that much more than your typical LDS person-- it's how I've grown in Christ.  My friend is passionate about teaching children, and grows through that vocation.  Why should two different people have be identical in their walk to Christ?

If researching evil spirits somehow brings you closer to God Jojo, then walk the path He calls you down.  But don't require everyone else to do the same when God calls them other ways.

3 words

Culture

Ignorance

Discomfort

A subject is culturally taboo because it's culturally taboo. How it became culturally taboo is another discussion entirely and is largely historical.

A subject is personally taboo because a person is ignorant on the subject and prefers to remain so. Their preference to remain in ignorance usually follows a cultural taboo against studying the topic.

A subject is uncomfortable (and therefore taboo) if it challenges our existing beliefs or notions or if it contradicts what we think we know. Our discomfort with a particular topic is almost always directly correlated with our ignorance on that subject.

It'd be interesting to list all of the taboo subjects.

1: Evil spirits. My own studies and personal experience suggest that a great majority of the temptation we face in life is actually a direct consequence of being "possessed of a devil". The converse of which is being "possesed of the Holy Ghost". It's a taboo subject primarily because of ignorance or discomfort. 

2: Women giving blessings. It's important to note that in the early days of the church, women who gave blessings by the laying on of hands were not doing so "By the authority of the Priesthood", but rather only "in the name of Jesus Christ". Similarly, a father's blessing is not a priesthood blessing - nonmember fathers are entitled by their role as father and that is all the authority that they need. I'm not aware of any official announcements discontinuing the practice of women giving blessings, but I suspect that it probably caused a lot of confusion about women and holding the priesthood, since blessings are generally considered to be associated with the Aaronic and Melchizedek priesthoods. This is a taboo subject mostly because of ignorance and culture.

3: Conspiracy theories. Well, this is probably less of a taboo subject and more of an off-topic one. And especially one, like politics, that can cause a lot of disagreement and contention. There are a lot of nut-jobs out there reading Erich von Däniken and Cleon Skousen who think they know the "deep doctrine" and "mysteries of the kingdom". Yes, there are conspiracies and gadiantons in the world today, but unless we are a member of these conspiracies the fact is we just don't know anything about them. So we teach what we do know, the doctrines of the Gospel, and by so doing we are prepared to meet any conspiracy. This is a taboo subject in church because it has nothing to do with the church.

There are a lot of nut-jobs out there reading Erich von Däniken and Cleon Skousen who think they know the "deep doctrine" and "mysteries of the kingdom".

Good thing we never get people like that here.

There are a lot of nut-jobs out there reading Erich von Däniken and Cleon Skousen who think they know the "deep doctrine" and "mysteries of the kingdom"

Not sure why Cleon Skousen has such a bad reputation. I admit to having read in only a few of his books, and have read only one all the way through. But that book (The Third Thousand Years, I believe) seemed to be well-researched and gave me a much better understanding of and appreciation for the law of Moses. Based on that experience, my impression of Skousen tends to be positive.

Not sure why Cleon Skousen has such a bad reputation. I admit to having read in only a few of his books, and have read only one all the way through. But that book (The Third Thousand Years, I believe) seemed to be well-researched and gave me a much better understanding of and appreciation for the law of Moses. Based on that experience, my impression of Skousen tends to be positive.

Skousen definitely did his research. Where he and I part ways is that he has a tendency to teach his own theories and ideas as though they were doctrine. Sure, a lot of it's based on doctrine, but he takes several long strides beyond doctrine into the realm of speculation without warning his readers that he's crossed that line. I'll confess that my exposure to him is limited, so I may not have the most accurate picture.

He was a learned man with a great deal of earthly credential, but he was never a general authority. His writings should be read with at least that grain of salt.

Something I've been wondering about for some time is: why are some subjects "taboo" among church members? These are subjects not taboo among church leaders, but just among the members. Specifically, three that I can think of: evil spirits, women giving blessings and last days conspiracies.

First, evil spirits. I've seen this discussed a few times on this forum, but never in church. Many early church leaders talked quite a bit about the subject. The Prophet Joseph fought them his whole life and taught extensively about them, and how to fight them. Brigham Young gave several sermons in general conference about them and there were editorials printed in the Deseret News about how not to become possessed. We are surrounded by them every day and afflict us, but it is taboo to discuss them. I can't figure out why.

Second, the subject of women giving blessings. In History of the Church, Vol. 4, starting with page 602, Joseph Smith taught that women can give blessings by the laying on of hands. Heber C. Kimball also taught this same thing. However, we don't hear a single thing about this. Why?

Third, conspiracies of the last days. I've tried talking to members about "conspiracy theories" and I get one of two reactions: a blank look or a smirk. Even when I try to explain about Moroni's warning of a worldwide secret combination in Ether 8, I still get the smirk or blank look. The funny thing is that we are studying the teachings of President Benson, the church's leading conspiracy theorist.

Any ideas?

They are not taboo to me... but I also don't find them very interesting.  I've always known women can give blessings. It just isn't common practice when there are viable males around (home teachers at the very least).

I don't think it is taboo to speak about evil spirits.   I just don't think evil spirits have as much reason to start trouble with most of us as they did with JS.   And I think that most of the world's evilness is now the result of the messages Satan helps spread rather than things evil spirits do.  I'd also surmise that most members are engaged in doing good and therefore don't have a lot of reason to talk about evil spirits.

We might also consider George Q. Cannon's statement that "Every foundation stone that is laid for a Temple, and every Temple completed according to the order the Lord has revealed for his holy Priesthood, lessens the power of Satan on the earth, and increases the power of God and Godliness, moves the heavens in mighty power in our behalf, invokes and calls down upon us the blessings of the Eternal Gods, and those who reside in their presence” (in “The Logan Temple,” Millennial Star, Nov. 12, 1877, 743). 

If this is correct, it may well be that the number of temples on the earth today tends to reduce Satan's ability to deploy certain tools (like demonic possession) that were once more frequently used.

Can you give me references where the church asked women to quit giving blessings?

Relief Society Handbook, published in 1949, at pp. 82-83:

While the authorities of the Church have ruled that it is permissible, under certain conditions and with the approval of the priesthood, for sisters to wash and anoint other sisters, yet they feel that it is far better for us to follow the plan the Lord has given us and send for the Elders of the Church to come and administer to the sick and afflicted.  [The preceding paragraph is actually a verbatim quote from a letter Joseph Fielding Smith wrote to Relief Society President Belle S. Spafford on July 29, 1946.  The handbook then continues thus:]

The service of washing and anointing is not a Relief Society function, and therefore, is not under the direction of the Relief Society. Women should not be set apart to perform this ordinance, but the presiding Priesthood authorities may determine if such an ordinance is to be performed and designate the sisters to perform it. The washing and anointing by our sisters in the past was greatly abused and improperly done, and for this reason, as well as for the reason that the Lord has given by revelation the order for the administration of those who are sick or in need of a blessing the washing and anointing by the sisters has not been encouraged.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

[...]

[...]

The service of washing and anointing is not a Relief Society function, and therefore, is not under the direction of the Relief Society. Women should not be set apart to perform this ordinance, but the presiding Priesthood authorities may determine if such an ordinance is to be performed and designate the sisters to perform it. The washing and anointing by our sisters in the past was greatly abused and improperly done, and for this reason, as well as for the reason that the Lord has given by revelation the order for the administration of those who are sick or in need of a blessing the washing and anointing by the sisters has not been encouraged.

That's a really interesting reference. I'll have to get me a copy of that handbook....

I remember vividly one experience I had as a teen. First off, my dad had a temper (putting it mildly). One weekend, he had just purchased a number of things at a very large auction. As we were loading things up into our truck, we noticed several items were walking off the auction floor without us. We caught one of the thieves in action. The ensuing argument between my dad and this man got very heated as my mom and I stood by. And it just kept escalating. When my dad threatened to grab his gun from the car, my mom raised her hand to the square and commanded - in the name of Jesus Christ - that the spirit of contention depart immediately. My dad turned to her and told her "You don't have the right!" But it worked! If she didn't have the right or the authority, then it could not have worked! And even with my dad's temper and his anger at an angry thief standing in front of him and his displeasure at my mom's choice of action, the contention was instantly gone. My dad's anger evaporated. The thief's anger evaporated. The spirit of contention literally vanished and the argument was over.

That was one experience among many. There are a great many things that are presently reserved to the priesthood that have nothing (or very little) to do with priesthood authority. Perhaps, as the above reference states, there's good reason for that. But I will forever be grateful that my mother knew better than to let mormon culture limit her spiritual power. I could have watched my dad kill a man that day, but instead I saw the power of God in great glory being exercised by a Godly woman.

Meh . . . not really.  The primary impetus for the modern practice is a subsequent instruction given by a Prophet, Seer and Revelator--namely, Joseph Fielding Smith--who in 1946 taught that [w]hile the authorities of the Church have ruled that it is permissible, under certain conditions and with the approval of the priesthood, for sisters to wash and anoint other sisters, yet they feel that it is far better for us to follow the plan the Lord has given us and send for the Elders of the Church to come and administer to the sick and afflicted." 

Can you give me a reference for this quote?

3 words

Culture

Ignorance

Discomfort

A subject is culturally taboo because it's culturally taboo. How it became culturally taboo is another discussion entirely and is largely historical.

A subject is personally taboo because a person is ignorant on the subject and prefers to remain so. Their preference to remain in ignorance usually follows a cultural taboo against studying the topic.

A subject is uncomfortable (and therefore taboo) if it challenges our existing beliefs or notions or if it contradicts what we think we know. Our discomfort with a particular topic is almost always directly correlated with our ignorance on that subject.

It'd be interesting to list all of the taboo subjects.

1: Evil spirits. My own studies and personal experience suggest that a great majority of the temptation we face in life is actually a direct consequence of being "possessed of a devil". The converse of which is being "possesed of the Holy Ghost". It's a taboo subject primarily because of ignorance or discomfort. 

I'm amazed that you wrote this.  It is absolutely true.  The Deseret News wrote an editorial in 1853 regarding possession and intimated how not to become possessed.  I have a copy of the editorial.  Elder George Q. Cannon wrote extensively about it as well as Brigham Young.

If evil spirits can enter into and thus influence mortal bodies (Mark 5:1-12), it must be within the power of the Holy Ghost on occasions similarly to contact and influence human souls for good. Perhaps that's why he has not taken upon himself a mortal body.

Elder William J. Critchlow, Jr.

Conference Report, Apr 1966, Pg. 45

We need to study evil spirits, not to learn about Satanism, but to learn how to fight back.  If you know what they are doing, then you can counter them by rebuking and casting them away from you or out of another person.  A good general studies his enemy and gets all the intelligence he can so he knows how to fight him.  We must do the same, which is why Joseph Smith told us we must gain a knowledge of evil spirits.

While the authorities of the Church have ruled that it is permissible, under certain conditions and with the approval of the priesthood, for sisters to wash and anoint other sisters, yet they feel that it is far better for us to follow the plan the Lord has given us and send for the Elders of the Church to come and administer to the sick and afflicted.  [The preceding paragraph is actually a verbatim quote from a letter Joseph Fielding Smith wrote to Relief Society President Belle S. Spafford on July 29, 1946.  The handbook then continues thus:]

This says nothing about the practice of women giving a blessing through the prayer of faith being condemned by the church.  It is not encouraged, but there are circumstances in which it may be necessary.  Especially when there are nothing but lazy priesthood holders who can't be bothered to do their home teaching or a bishop who also can't be bothered.  Both are circumstances my wife had to face as a single mother.

The quote I read was far earlier than 1946 and spoke to summoning home teachers to give the blessing.  ETA from http://www.wheatandtares.org/2333/mormon-women-giving-blessings/

In 1914, Joseph F. Smith reaffirmed that women could bless.  However, in 1921, Elder Charles Penrose indicated in General Conference that only elders could seal blessings.

Occasions when perhaps it would be wise for a woman to lay her hands upon a child, or upon one another sometimes, and there have been appointments made for our sisters, some good women, to anoint and bless others of their sex who expect to go through times of great personal trial, travail and ’labor;’ so that is all right, so far as it goes. But ’when women go around and declare that they have been set apart to administer to the sick and take the place that is given to the elders of the Church by revelation as declared through James of old, and through the Prophet Joseph in modern times, that is an assumption of authority and contrary to scripture, which is that when people are sick they shall call for the elders of the Church and they shall pray over them and officially lay hands on them.

I did find this explanation at http://www.womeninthescriptures.com/2011/02/women-giving-blessings-in-early-days-of.html

The practice of women giving blessings originated with Joseph Smith and the first Relief Society in Nauvoo. At the 6th meeting of the Relief Society on April 28th, 1843 Joseph instructed the sisters about the spiritual gifts mentioned in 1 Corinthians chapter 12 and stated that the gift to heal was a gift of the spirit, one that followed all the believers whether they were male or female. Eliza R. Snow recorded that Joseph said,

“Respecting females administering for the healing of the sick… there could be no evil in it, if God gave His sanction by healing; that there could be no more sin in any female laying hands on and praying for the sick, than in wetting the face with water; it is no sin for anybody to administer that has faith, or if the sick have faith to be healed by their administrations.” (History of the Church, volume 4, pg. 604)

It is important to note that Joseph Smith clarified that women had the gift to heal and administer because of their faith and not because of their priesthood authority. Joseph reiterated what Jesus taught in Mark 16:17 that “ these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name… they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.”

Blessings like these were given fairly commonly up until the 1920’s when the practice began to get confused with temple ordinances and priesthood authority. Many women felt confusion over the purpose of these blessings and so the practiced slowly started to die out. Then in 1946 Joseph Fielding Smith circulated a letter to Relief Societies which said,

“While the authorities of the Church have ruled that it is permissible, under certain conditions and with the approval of the priesthood, for sisters to wash and anoint other sisters, yet they feel that it is far better to follow the plan the Lord has given us and send for the Elders of the Church to come and minister to the sick and afflicted.”
(
, pg 18)

President Smith was referring to section 42 of the Doctrine and Covenants, which is where the Lord outlined the “law of the church”. In D&C 42:43 the Lord instructed Joseph Smith in the preferred way to administer to the sick, He said, “And the elders of the church, two or more, shall be called, and shall pray for and lay their hands upon them in my name…” Today this pattern is still followed and calling in the elders to give a blessings by the laying on of hands is still the Lord’s preferred way of blessings the sick.

Edited by thoughts

• 3 weeks later...

First, evil spirits

On the subject of evil spirits.  Yes, we know they exist because the scriptures tell us they do.  I have noted in my years of observation of other churches (I'm a convert to the LDS Church) that denominations that put a big focus on evil spirits tend to experience them.  For example, Pentecostals and Holiness churches often talk about everything being demonic.  A lady I know who was Pentecostal was obsessed with protecting her family from demonic influences.  She wouldn't let them listen to music, watch TV, go to movies, dance, or do many other things.  Interestingly, she reported that her church had a lot of experiences with evil spirits.  

Latter-day saints focus on having the companionship of the Holy Ghost.  Doing so provides a positive orientation that provides a protective influence.  Even though we know there are dark forces out there, we steer toward the light consciously.

Second, the subject of women giving blessings

There's nothing unusual or mysterious about this.  Praying for the sick and exercising faith in their behalf is effective.  Laying on of hands is not necessary to do this.  Jesus healed the sick from a distance without touching them at all.  He also smeared clay and spittle on the eyes of a blind man to restore his sight.  Elijah told a guy to go wash in a river to be healed.  Faith is what is important.  There is nothing sinful or mysterious in women laying on hands to pray.  They should not pretend it is a priesthood blessing.  The Lord gives us ordinances in forms that add to the sense of order and propriety.  The ordinances are symbolic.  

Third, conspiracies of the last days.

I actually wrote a book (now out-of-print) for Cedar Fort Press about conspiracy theories and looked at them from a scriptural perspective and with amplifying passages from latter-day prophets.  There's nothing particularly uplifting about the topic.  The conclusion of my book, after doing much study on the subject, is that the Lord knows what he's doing and that everything the Church is doing under the direction of living prophets serves to have us be ready for any eventuality.  If you follow the prophet, things will take care of themselves.  You'll have the Spirit to be with you to warn you of what you should specifically do.  Likewise, what the Spirit tells you to do may be different than what God tells your neighbor to do.  The Holy Ghost will orchestrate the resources to meet the challenges.  God's got it covered.  No worries.  Have faith and be positive.  Peter walked on water so long as he looked at Jesus.  When he took his eyes off the Savior and became concerned with the storm, that's when he started sinking.  

Guest LiterateParakeet

I actually wrote a book (now out-of-print) for Cedar Fort Press 

OT, but you could get your rights back and self-publish it...then it would be available for as long as you like.  I think this is one of the best uses of self-publishing...your book is clearly good quality, and well-edited.  

You could do an ebook with fairly little effort and cost.  And even print-on-demand with a little more effort and cost.  Just a thought.  

I loved your whole post, BTW.  Good point about how those churches that focus on evil spirits seem to bring them about more.    And great point about Peter.  

First, evil spirits

On the subject of evil spirits.  Yes, we know they exist because the scriptures tell us they do.  I have noted in my years of observation of other churches (I'm a convert to the LDS Church) that denominations that put a big focus on evil spirits tend to experience them.  For example, Pentecostals and Holiness churches often talk about everything being demonic.  A lady I know who was Pentecostal was obsessed with protecting her family from demonic influences.  She wouldn't let them listen to music, watch TV, go to movies, dance, or do many other things.  Interestingly, she reported that her church had a lot of experiences with evil spirits.  

Latter-day saints focus on having the companionship of the Holy Ghost.  Doing so provides a positive orientation that provides a protective influence.  Even though we know there are dark forces out there, we steer toward the light consciously.

This typical traditional LDS response is one I simply do not understand.  The idea seems to be that if you don't think about or talk about evil spirits, then they won't bother you.  This couldn't be farther from reality.  Evil spirits surround us every single second of our lives.  They are responsible for all evil in this world.  They are also responsible for most of the sickness, disease, mental illness, pain and suffering we go through.  It seems that the vast majority of LDS do not understand this.  They think that Satan has no bearing on suffering, yet this has been taught extensively by the prophets and apostles.  The attitude I have observed is that LDS think Satan can only tempt and influence.

If you have been through the temple, you should realize that Satan plays a major role.  We are taught that one of his major goals is take the spirits that followed him and possess the bodies of mankind.  Just as the Church has a three-fold mission, so does Satan. 

Satan's plan is well documented, then. There are three things that Satan sets out to do. First, he plans to destroy the agency of man. That was the issue in the contest which resulted in his expulsion with the third of the hosts of heaven. Moses declared that he is here "to destroy the agency of man" (Moses 4:3). Now, therefore, we may see him in power wherever we see an individual so overwhelmed by his own habits as a result of his sinning and where he seems powerless to control his habits and evil tendencies. You will find that in evidence in men who have vicious habits, who claim they are overwhelmed by a power that is beyond their control. Then you may conclude that you have one who has so far lost the power of agency that he is almost [under] the control of that evil power which is trying to destroy him. Likewise in that nation where representative government has given way to the will of dictatorships, there you may see the power of Satan, or the "prince of this world," reigning in great demonstration.

Satan's second purpose is to possess the bodies of Adam and his posterity. Why? Elder John Taylor, in his very excellent work The Government of God (Liverpool: S. W. Richards, 1852), discusses this subject:

[satan] exerts an invisible agency over the spirits of men, darkens their minds, and uses his infernal power to confound, corrupt, destroy and envelop the world in confusion, misery, and distress; and, although deprived personally of operating with a body, he uses his influence over the spirits of those who have bodies, to resist goodness, virtue, purity, intelligence, and the fear of God; and consequently, the happiness of man; and poor erring humanity is made the dupe of his wiles. But not content with the ravages he has made, the spoliation, misery, and distress, not having a tabernacle of his own, he has frequently sought to occupy that of man, in order that he might yet possess greater power, and more fully accomplish the devastation.

The third purpose of Satan, which is described carefully and accurately in the scriptures, was to make captive the souls of men (see Alma 34:35; 2 Nephi 26:22).

The Teachings Of Harold B. Lee. Pgs. 37-38

Possession is the single most common affliction of mankind, yet the average LDS has no idea at all or think it is uncommon, if at all.  Let me give you a few more quotes on the subject.

Satan and his evil angels are bodiless. That is their heavy punishment. Their power, now and hereafter, is greatly limited by this lack. Therefore, they often seek entrance into human bodies, even bodies of lower animals. Whenever this occurs, the individual thus made to share his body is caused much agonized suffering.

Elder John A. Widtsoe

Evidences and Reconciliations, Pg. 109

You cannot give any person their exaltation, unless they know what evil is, what sin, sorrow, and misery are, for no person could comprehend, appreciate, and enjoy an exaltation upon any other principle. The devil with one-third part of the spirits of our Father's Kingdom got here before us, and we tarried there with our friends, until the time came for us to come to the earth and take tabernacles; but those spirits that revolted were forbidden ever to have tabernacles of their own. You can now comprehend how it is that they are always trying to get possession of the bodies of human beings; we read of a man's being possessed of a legion, and Mary Magdalene had seven.

You may now see people with legions of evil spirits in and around them; there are men who walk our streets that have more than a hundred devils in them and round about them, prompting them to all manner of evil, and some too that profess to be Latter-day Saints, and if you were to take the devils out of them and from about them, you would leave them dead corpses; for I believe there would be nothing left of them.

I want you to understand these things; and if you should say or think that I know nothing about them, be pleased to find out and inform me. You can see the acts of these evil spirits in every place, the whole country is full of them, the whole earth is alive with them, and they are continually trying to get into the tabernacles of the human family, and are always on hand to prompt us to depart from the strict line of our duty.

Brigham Young

JD 3:369

Why did the demons desire to enter the bodies of the swine? or, for that matter, how came they to take up tenancy in the body of the man? We cannot tell and do not know how it is that evil spirits-few or many-gain entrance into the bodies of mortal men. We do know that all things are governed by law, and that Satan is precluded from taking possession of the bodies of the prophets and other righteous people. Were it not so, the work of God would be thwarted-always and in all instances-for Lucifer leads the armies of hell against all men, and more especially against those who are instrumental in furthering the Lord's work.

There must be circumstances of depression and sin and physical weakness that within the restrictions of divine control, permit evil spirits to enter human bodies. We do know their curse is to be denied tabernacles, and we surmise that the desire for such tenancy is so great that they, when permitted, even enter the bodies of beasts.

Bruce R. McConkie

The Mortal Messiah, 2:282

All manner of spirits have gone forth to deceive, to lead astray and to obtain possession of the children of men; and many people yield to them because they are invisible and cannot, perhaps, think that they can be possessed by invisible influences (evil spirits). Anger, backbiting, slander, falsehood and various passions are manifested by people under the influence of false and deceptive spirits....

George Q. Cannon

Gospel Truth, Pg. 157

You think it was an exceptional miracle when, after crossing the sea, the Savior with his disciples came upon one who was a maniac, and cast the devils out of him, but it was not; it is something that is occurring (sic) all the times (sic).

Elder Nicholas G. Smith

Conference Report, Oct 1921, Pgs. 139

Satan’s punishment and the punishment of his followters for their rebellion in heaven, Joseph Smith the Prophet said, is that they are denied mortal bodies. The said punishment is terrible and will make those who receive it most unhappy for the reason that they are halted, they cannot progress, they cannot go forward, cannot attain a full measure of happiness.

Their eagerness to secure bodies is so great that in many cases they endeavor to steal the bodies of the more favored spirits, and when these evil spirits enter into and take possession of the bodies of others we say of those afflicted that they are possessed by evil spirits. They can only be subdued and cast out of stolen bodies by those members of Christ's Church who are under divine authority.

President Rudger Clawson

CR, Apr 1939, 118

We normally cannot see evil spirits, but their influence and the signs of their actions are all around us on a continual basis.   A person may not be aware of this, but it does not change the fact that they are around us at all times.  Have you never had a temptation enter your mind?  Has it been rather strong?  If you think this is just "you" or as some LDS think, "the evil passions of men," think again.  It is an evil spirit putting that thought in your mind.  They know every one of your weaknesses and know exactly how to exploit them. 

A person can be the biggest spiritual giant of their generation; they may master all the basics, yet they will still be tormented and afflicted their entire life.  This is God's plan for us; this is how we are tried and tested every single day of our lives.  Christ was no exception.  He suffered temptations of every kind.  Why would we be any different?  Why would we be excused from the affliction of evil spirits?

BTW, this is not an attack on you.  I don't mean it to sound this way.  I just get a bit passionate about a few different subjects.

Edited by JojoBag

The idea seems to be that if you don't think about or talk about evil spirits, then they won't bother you.

No, I think that's backward. The idea is that if you do talk and think incessantly about evil spirits, then they will bother you. Refusing to talk much about evil spirits does not guarantee their absence, but it does lessen the chance of inviting them in.

Evil spirits surround us every single second of our lives.  They are responsible for all evil in this world.

The first sentence is certainly true. The second sentence is just as certainly false -- unless you want to classify any evil person, or any person who does evil, as an "evil spirit". But I think that is stretching the point well past breaking.

The attitude I have observed is that LDS think Satan can only tempt and influence.

According to William Clayton, Joseph Smith taught:

“The devil has no power over us only as we permit him; the moment we revolt at anything which comes from God, the devil takes power.”

That sounds to me a lot like what you say that most of us Mormons think.

If you have been through the temple, you should realize that Satan plays a major role.

I believe this is an incorrect gloss of the endowment presentation. Its purpose is to enlighten us as to our relationship with and duty toward God and to warn us of Satan and his power in the world, not to make us afraid of the devil and the power with which he seeks to frighten and cow us.

A few weeks ago the lesson for third hour was on husband and wives.  I shared the importance of human initmacy in marriage and the sacredness of it, midway through my thought I got interupted by another Elder that said he didn't want to hear any more of it. 

Seriously nothing rude or even remotely specific to sex was brought up. Why is it some members can't even feel comfortable talking about a important part of marriage?