Ashley Madison Bots

Crypto

I  came across this article about Ashley Madison in conjunction with the hack. Apparently not only did the data get exposed, but the site also lured participants to spend money with bots.

http://gizmodo.com/how-ashley-madison-hid-its-fembot-con-from-users-and-in-1728410265

Just goes to show that you can trust the untrustworthy to be well... untrustworthy.

A small female user base didn’t seem to faze the company. In fact, in a slide deck emailed to Biderman on January 25, 2013, one manager describes a “sustainable male to female ratio of 9:1.” The company was aiming for 11 percent real women in any given area. But apparently, it rarely achieved that goal.

lawl.  So, not only did AM entice dudes with bots, then charge them to interact with the bots, but only around 4-6% of the total subscriber base was something besides some other dude.

Anyone watch Ice Age The Meltdown?

Eddie: What if we’re the last animals left alive? We’ll have to repopulate the earth. 
Crash: How are we supposed to do that? Everyone here is either a dude or our sister.

Is-he-gonna-be-ok-ice-age-crash-and-eddi

Motivation: I was asked by the stake president to check the database against stake leaders so they would have a heads up before someone in the stake did the same thing. Better to know about it than to have it announced in the local paper that one of your bishops is on the list kind of thing.

Ugh. What a distasteful responsibility. You have my sympathy.

It is rather disconcerting to find the names of a high councilor and a YM president on such a list. If I were to sign up for an adultery website and still try to maintain my name in the Church, I certainly would not use my own email. I would create a dummy email. The credit card thing would be a bit harder, but there might be some way around that, too. The point is, if two people in the stake signed up for AM under their own names (assuming you can trust the thieves who put the information up), how many others might be signed up under false names?

But this is exactly the type of questioning that leads to rifts and lack of unity. We must be able to trust in the integrity of our fellow Saints. Tough situation.

Assuming they verify emails, you can't just sign emails up willy nilly. You'd need access to them.

I doubt anyone would give second thought to using personal emails. I seriously doubt the site displays your email to other clients anyways and no one signs up for a service anticipating it to be cracked and their database dumped.

Could the hackers have cracked high profile targets emails and signed them up? It's possible I guess.

Scratch all of that, they didn't verify emails. Searching by email is worthless.

Edited by jerome1232

We must be able to trust in the integrity of our fellow Saints. 

Interesting notion.  I'm not sure it's scripturally sound - 'arm of flesh' and all that.  I like my wife's phrase more.  "I trust God to act like God, and man to act like man."

That way, when stuff like this happens, my testimony is unfazed.  

Motivation: I was asked by the stake president to check the database against stake leaders so they would have a heads up before someone in the stake did the same thing. Better to know about it than to have it announced in the local paper that one of your bishops is on the list kind of thing.

Interesting. A number of church members have complained to me that we have men with mistresses who are attending church. Some have gone to the bishop to complain and been told that the bishop can not interfere unless the man or his wife come to the bishop.

Edited by Sunday21

Interesting notion.  I'm not sure it's scripturally sound - 'arm of flesh' and all that.  I like my wife's phrase more.  "I trust God to act like God, and man to act like man."

That way, when stuff like this happens, my testimony is unfazed.  

I agree that our testimonies need to be based on God, not man. But we are commanded to be one, and whether in marriage or any other community setting, being one requires being able to depend on others. Trust is vital.