2016 Toyota Prius going to get even better mileage

Still_Small_Voice

The 2016 Toyota Prius Hybrid vehicle is going to even get better miles per gallon than previous models.  News out says that it will get about 55 miles per gallon of gasoline.

Take a look at pictures of the car and read more here:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1100040_2016-toyota-prius-preview-video

I want a 2016 Nissan Leaf electric car that has about 85 to 100 miles of range on one charge.  Only problem with the car is it loses a lot of range in frigid winters so you will need to drive a gasoline car about 80 days per year in Utah (or longer if the winter is long and bitter cold).

I don't buy new cars though.  I will have to wait for someone else to lease or pay $30,000 for it and get it used two years later for hopefully $15,000 or less.

I may end up leasing a hybrid car if my 242,000 mile Nissan Sentra does not make it for another few years.  But the cruise control is broke on it which makes for a stiff foot when driving it.  I don't know if I can make it driving the car that long.  We shall see.

I change the oil about every 2,000 miles on my 1995 Nissan Sentra and it is pretty dirty when I do.  I only do the oil filter every 4,000 miles.  I am hoping for another 30,000 plus miles.  I got the car for about $1,350 not including taxes when the odometer read about 239,500 miles.  If I get to 260,000 miles on the car I for sure got my money out of it.

My bike gets about 65 mpg, hehe.

Really?  My bike gets over 1,000,000,000 mpg - I have been ridding for over 60 years and never used even a drop or teaspoon of petrol.   My Suburban on the other hand cost more than my first house and currently gets about 18 - 19 mpg.  It is getting on in years - 22 - but is in pristine condition.  I was offered $8,000 for it this summer???? but it would cost much more to replace it.  It currently serves for all our towing, my wife's business and delivery vehicle and when we are going somewhere with 5 or more.

I would only buy a new vehicle - but have not bough a vehicle for almost 10 years and do not plan to purchase another for at least 5 years.  All my auto maintenance is done excursively through a shop in Murry Utah.

I only use synthetic oil (Mobile1) and change my oil and filter every 6,000.

Edited by Traveler

I'm sure you've used a teaspoon, even a bicycle needs lubing on occasion. Some grease in a few spots. Slap some oil on the chain here and there.

My bike is a 2009 Honda Rebel, those little 250cc bikes, the ones that are just barely legal to roll on a freeway. If I adjusted my driving I'm sure I could push it to 75 mpg, but alas, I drive that thing hard. I put it's little engine to hard work. It's currently sitting on a jack stand awaiting a new axle (hopefully here tomorrow).

I actually am impressed a car is pushing near what motorcycles typically get. I wonder what they'd get if someone really pushed economic motorcycles as hard as they push in cars. I know a guy that drives a zero s. It's an electric motorcycle that get's near 250 cc performance but only has a battery and electric motors. Has decent range too.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/

Priuses (Priusi?) are so expensive. Prohibitively so. Has anyone ever done the math on how long it would take to get financially ahead after buying one, considering the cost of the investment vs. the cost of gas? 

I know someone that bought a Honda Civic Hybrid for about $12,000 plus interest.  He gets about 46 miles per gallon driving on the highway at around 65 to 70 miles per hour.

I will not buy new cars unless the price is below $16,000.  A three year old used car can only have about 50,000 miles on it and be more than $10,000 less in price.

Priuses (Priusi?) are so expensive. Prohibitively so. Has anyone ever done the math on how long it would take to get financially ahead after buying one, considering the cost of the investment vs. the cost of gas? 

You don't.  The batteries have to be replaced periodically, just like your regular car battery, and with the fairly high cost of both the hybrid and the battery replacement you don't generally get ahead during the lifespan of the car.  

I remember reading a forum a few years ago where someone with more knowledge than me in the subject figured out how expensive gas would have to get before a hybrid was a good financial investment.  I can't remember the exact figure he came up with, and it's probably gotten a bit better since, but I do remember that it was well over $10.00 per gallon. 

That took into account the mileage, battery replacement, and the expected useful life of the car, and it wasn't good. Again things have probably gotten better, but I doubt they've gotten a lot better.

If a hybrid car batteries go bad the car simply gets worse mileage.  I am all for technology that gets us away from consuming less foreign oil.  The internal combustion engine only uses about 20 percent of the energy to actually move a car.  It's about 120 year old technology we have relied on for too long in my opinion.  It's time for something better and more efficient.

I think you will see more and more battery electric cars in the near future.  I see them daily on Utah roads while I drive on I-15.  The car manufacturer Tesla has annouced it will release a car in 2018 that gets at least 160 miles per charge priced at close to $37,000.  It's out of my price range but in many middle class American's price range.

I suspected as much. I'm sure it's more about the carbon footprint, but what kind of ecological impact do all of those batteries have?

From what I understand, far more than the oil.  While they CAN be disposed of safely, like everything else they aren't always.  Moreover there are problems if you get in an accident.  First you can rupture a battery.  Second, you now have some much higher voltage lines going places in the car.  If rescue personnel cut one of these wires while trying to rescue you, they can die.  It could conceivably electrify the exterior of the car etc.  

Still as noted above, if the battery in the hybrid goes bad the car still works with worse mileage, negating the only legitimate reason for getting the hybrid in the first place.   The other reason would be to feel superior for having a hybrid, they don't have to know if it's getting just as bad of mileage as a non-hybrid because the battery is dead.

As far as the full electrics, no thanks.  When you can get me a battery electric that has a 400 mile range and can be recharged for another 400 miles in less than 5 minutes like my gas run non-hybrid Sonata, I might be interested. 

What ever happened to hydrogen fuel cells. That was their whole deal wasn't it? Better range and quick replenishment?

I think a lot of the problem with hydrogen is that it can be tricker to store and transport than things that are liquid or more easily liquefied.  There also isn't nearly as much energy in a given volume of hydrogen.  While hydrogen has the highest energy density by weight of any combustible (you get more power out of a pound of hydrogen than you get out of a pound of gasoline), hydrogen doesn't weigh much so you get vastly more energy out of a gallon of gasoline than you do out of a gallon of hydrogen stored at any reasonable amount of pressure. 

The other problem is a false aversion to hydrogen.  We all know it was the hydrogen that caused the Hindenberg explosion (it probably wasn't, but we all "know" a lot of things that aren't true), so most consumers are somewhat averse to driving around in a mini Hindenberg.  It doesn't matter that what they're thinking has no basis in reality, when it comes to producing salable products perception might as well be reality.  

The other problem is a false aversion to hydrogen.  We all know it was the hydrogen that caused the Hindenberg explosion (it probably wasn't, but we all "know" a lot of things that aren't true), so most consumers are somewhat averse to driving around in a mini Hindenberg.  It doesn't matter that what they're thinking has no basis in reality, when it comes to producing salable products perception might as well be reality.  

Hence the irrational aversion to nuclear power and plutonium RTGs.

What ever happened to hydrogen fuel cells. That was their whole deal wasn't it? Better range and quick replenishment?

The 2016 Toyota Mirai Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Car uses hydrogen to create electricity and drive an electric motor.  They say it gets 300 miles per fill up. 

There have been complaints by those driving the car that they cannot get a stable supply of hydrogen to drive their car presently.  One person complained he was spending over $400 per month on a car he had not driven in over three weeks.

Take a look here:  http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1099718_2016-toyota-mirai-hydrogen-fuel-cell-car-runs-on-leftover-lemonade-huh

I find it interesting that other countries have diesel powered cars and here we have only trucks and not very many cars if any to choose from.

My understanding is that "awhile back" diesel was considered more environmental friendly ( I  don't know why) so countries that went "green"  pushed diesel as the "green" option.