Flat Earth Theories

Jamie123

I'm struggling at the moment to understand whether these guys are trolls or whether they really believe what they're arguing, but either way there seems to be a lot of them on YouTube at the moment. Here's a very typical example (there are many, many more):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyd_9ovplXc

A few times I've jumped in with comments explaining why what they are saying is garbage, but if they really are trolls that'll be exactly what they want!

Even Kent Hovind (newly released from prison and back on the war-path) sounds rational by comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlhPmciWeiU (go to 5:50)

And we all know what he's like! I suspect that in this case he has the right kind of attitude.

Edited by Jamie123

I find it difficult to believe that either of these people is serious, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why they would make bizarre flat-earth claims.

Some of them appear to be Christian fundamentalists, pointing out to other (genuine) Christian fundamentalists that the Bible appears to teach that the Earth is flat (statements like "4 corners of the earth" etc.), and thus showing them to be really in the same camp as the theistic evolutionists they oppose. But there are others who seem to have no religious or Biblical agenda.

This one is quite interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGpwLYlVBh4 - it is almost certainly a satire, proposing the Flat Earth as a thought experiment. It's quite a fun exercise to work out what the deliberate flaws are in each argument; some are easy to spot, but others are more challenging!

(Look for example the diagram of Einstein standing on the beach at 9:00. It seems reasonable at first glance, but what is wrong with it? I must admit it took me a little while before the penny dropped!) 

Edited by Jamie123

I'm not quite sure how someone can believe that NASA and all their international counterparts are in on a conspiracy theory "for the money".  I don't understand who is making the money... the first rule of conspiracies is to contain the information.  There are way too many people working in these space programs and too many people getting sent up to space and too many people building rockets and satellites that require mathematical calculations based on a spherical earth... a lot more than the people believing in a flat earth...

And what are they saying about the 14 year old circumnavigator?  That she was just floating around in a disk headed west that somehow "tricked" her into thinking she was going around the globe when all she did was circle the edges of the disk?

This is just too crazy.

A thought:

How much of this stuff can you watch, how often can you try to take such people seriously and examine their claims without prejudice, before you mentally throw out the whole lot of them and simply paint anyone with claims sounding like that as a crank?

Perhaps many have investigated religion and come to the same sort of conclusion, classifying any religious person as a nut. Their prejudice blinds them to what we have to offer, but on the other hand, it's a little hard to blame them totally for their blindness.

A thought:

How much of this stuff can you watch, how often can you try to take such people seriously and examine their claims without prejudice, before you mentally throw out the whole lot of them and simply paint anyone with claims sounding like that as a crank?

Perhaps many have investigated religion and come to the same sort of conclusion, classifying any religious person as a nut. Their prejudice blinds them to what we have to offer, but on the other hand, it's a little hard to blame them totally for their blindness.

Yes, I agree with this for abstract or Faith concepts where you rely completely on the Holy Spirit to manifest truth.  But a spherical earth is completely material and completely observable with or without the manifestation of the Holy Spirit.

Pretty much any group of people you can think of, really do exist. And you can find them much more easily now with teh interwebs.

The hollow-earth folks are also fun.  They went so far as to charter a Russian boat to take a trip to the opening to the underworld, but the main guy died before it could happen. 

Folks who share personal experiences with reptilian shapeshifters are interesting, in sort of a tragic sort of way.  It's obvious these folks are mentally ill and have suffered some sorts of major sexual traumas.

And of course, the callout-preaching vision-having mormons, and folks giving tours to Zarahemla, need to be on this list too.

On a related note, there are reputable physics theories that say the world can actually be better explained as a 2D holographic than 3D.

I think, therefore I am, but I and the world around me could all be but an illusion.

Holographics cards always seem to be more rare and valuable anyways :P

• 2 weeks later...

The hollow-earth folks are also fun.  They went so far as to charter a Russian boat to take a trip to the opening to the underworld, but the main guy died before it could happen. 

What do you mean the hollow earth is a myth.  I've been there.  I saw those shapeshifters.  Well, they looked human because they had changed their shape to appear human.  But I knew who they were.

And in the center of their altars they had a casket where they laid Elvis' body because he was one of them too. Their cultural symbol was that of a moon with a face and a bunch of stars that formed a "666" if you saw it blown up enough.

On the other side they had the moon-like terrain they used to fake the moon landing.  With the light coming from Atlantis it was pretty clear that the moon landing film was made there.

But one of the three Nephites helped me escape.  So I stole one of the shapeshifters' flying saucers to make it back to the surface.

Whew!  And that is my heroic story.

Edited by Guest

Carb, you need to get with Vort to come up with a really good plot-line and write that book.  Both of you will then produce 7 books in this series, get a movie deal with the first one (I insist on Fassbender on the lead role) and become instant billionaires.  Then you can share the profits with me - the brains of the operation.

Edited by anatess

What do you mean the hollow earth is a myth.  I've been there.  I saw those shapeshifters.  Well, they looked human because they had changed their shape to appear human.  But I knew who they were.

And in the center of their altars they had a casket where they laid Elvis' body because he was one of them too. Their cultural symbol was that of a moon with a face and a bunch of stars that formed a "666" if you saw it blown up enough.

On the other side they had the moon-like terrain they used to fake the moon landing.  With the light coming from Atlantis it was pretty clear that the moon landing film was made there.

But one of the three Nephites helped me escape.  So I stole one of the shapeshifters' flying saucers to make it back to the surface.

Whew!  And that is my heroic story.

Carborendum, none escape our clutches for long. We knew you would eventually show up on this forum and now we know where you are. We've got you now. It's only a matter of time before we pick you up and bring you back and stretch you out on the altar next to Elvis, where you will then be significantly altered in a lasting way. 

And you better hope that that flying saucer is still in a usable condition! 

And you better hope that that flying saucer is still in a usable condition! 

Unfortunately, I picked up a hitchhiker who warned me about getting my food storage in order and then kicked me out of the saucer and stole it. 

You'd better take it up with him.