We were Christian when Christian wasn't Cool...

AnnieCarvalho

I often have people either ask me, "Are Mormons Christian?" or tell me, "Mormons are NOT Christian!"

According to Alma Chapter 46: 13-15 Moroni calls us Christians.

We took upon ourselves and called ourselves Christians +/- 73 years before Christ was born, and therefore about a century before others began using the term.

How do the rest of you respond to this question or challenge, if at all?

Guest MormonGator

I say "Our name is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". Jesus Christ. We close prayers in the name of...Jesus Christ. 

If we aren't Christians, then why do we seem to worship Jesus Christ?  

Than I say "The reason you think we aren't is a false belief in the trinity, We do not believe in a trinitarian Godhead" 

Edited by MormonGator

I was walking into a store and there was a guy just outside his car, doing some sort of minor maintenance.  I noticed and wondered what he was doing.  So I kinda stared at him as I was walking in.  He waved me over. (odd)

I walked over to him.

He asked me, "Are you a Christian?" (Do you always begin conversations like this?).

"Yes" -- I did NOT say, "Yes, but since I'm a Mormon you probably don't consider me a Christian."  I simply said "yes".

We had a wonderful time talking about the Bible and Christ.  He began quoting apocalyptic signs and saying it won't be too long now (it was over 15 years ago).

I told him I'm not too concerned because I still see the rainbow in the sky.

He was really puzzled and asked where that came from.

I said, "Oh, it is a prophecy about the last days.  We still have some time.  But it doesn't hurt to be prepared anyway, right?"

We shook hands and we departed as brothers in Christ.

The telling thing is that even though we had different opinions and interpretations on many scriptures that we both seemed to have memorized, we chalked it up to differences in personal interpretation.  He was willing to accept that as within the realm of a Christian's interpretation.  But when I say the EXACT same things to someone who knows I'm a Mormon -- It's all of the devil.  Of course you would think that, you're a Mormon.  But without those "you're a Mormon" glasses on, we just had a difference of opinion.

You have to understand that this is the son who reads faster than he can see a movie.   He learned to read by 5 years old.  He now reads as fast as a speed reader, with the added advantage of almost total recall of what he reads.  He prefers to be told about movies rather than viewing them because they take too long.  

Edited by Guest

Labels.  Ugh.

Are Mormons Christian?  Depends on what the asker defines Christian as.

My Catholic mother, for example, insists I am not Christian because I believe in a different God.  For her, Christian means those who uphold the Nicene Creed.  So, I tell my mother, if that's what you mean by Christian, then yes, I am not Christian.  There's really not much point in arguing that.

Edited by anatess

I often have people either ask me, "Are Mormons Christian?" or tell me, "Mormons are NOT Christian!"

We took upon ourselves and called ourselves Christians +/- 73 years before Christ was born, and therefore about a century before others began using the term.

How do the rest of you respond to this question or challenge, if at all?

Usually something along the lines of "well whatever floats your boat, but I believe in christ and have accepted him as my savior"

I have never heard this claim before.  Does anyone care to explain the background on how LDS were known as Christians over ;70 years before his advent?  Was he said to be in America before Israel?  I'd always assumed it was afterward...

PC,

Basically, many BoM prophets were given visions and revelations about the birth, life, and mission of Jesus Christ and were told that His followers/believers would be known as "Christians".

Later there was contention in the Nephite nation and people had to pick sides whether they would follow those who rejected Christ or those who accepted Christ.  Those who were accepted were called "Christians" or the equivalent in the Nephite tongue.  Joseph Smith translated that to Christian in the English language.

The first/second BoM prophet, Nephi, was given such a vision around 550 BC.  He's the one who introduced that vocabulary into the Nephite  culture.

BTW, I'm surprised you didn't know that.  You seemed to know a lot about our faith.  I assumed you had read the BoM.  If you missed all the mentions of Christ, the term Christian, and the "take upon us His name" type statements, you missed the primary theme of the book.

---The OP was essentially the same as calling those Jews in the Old World who knew that the "Messiah" was more than a warrior king, but was come to save them from their sins.  There may have been very few among the Biblical record.  But those Jews in the BoM (in the New World) knew.

Those followers of Christ in the New World could be figuratively also considered Mormons.  But you're right, I've never heard it put this way before.

Edited by Guest

I have never heard this claim before.  Does anyone care to explain the background on how LDS were known as Christians over ;70 years before his advent?  Was he said to be in America before Israel?  I'd always assumed it was afterward...

it seems to be a more a tongue in cheek thing... but since we believe and identify with both the people of God found in the Bible as well as the book of mormon I suppose there is some truth to it.

or do you mean as directly tied to the language rather than concept? in which case yes the greek name  would not have been used on the american continent. but using the name-title of the savior (instead of Abraham, Israel or any of the 12 patriarchs of the houses that followed) to denote a certain demographic of people was present in the book of mormon before Christ was born. How much that was adopted by the populace at large isn't really known.

Alma 46: 13-15 says,

13: "... so long as there should be a band of Christians remain to possess the land --

14: For thus were all the true believers of Christ, who belonged to the church of God, called by those who did not belong to the church.

15: And those who did belong to the church were faithful; yeah, all those who were true believers in Christ took upon them, gladly, the name of Christ, or Christians as they were called, because of their belief in Christ who should come.

This was written in 73-72 BC according to the BOM

Have you not read the BOM, PrisonChaplain?

Which leads me to another question...

How does a person who is a member of the Assemblies of God come to be a Moderator in a LDS forum?

Just curious, don't really mind, just curious?

PC,

BTW, I'm surprised you didn't know that.  You seemed to know a lot about our faith.  I assumed you had read the BoM.  If you missed all the mentions of Christ, the term Christian, and the "take upon us His name" type statements, you missed the primary theme of the book.

I have the same problem with my knowledge about Korea.  In certain aspects, I know more about some of their culture (especially circa 1987-93) then many of them do--but only in those few select areas.  Then, there may be something that nearly all Koreans know, that I don't.  It can be bad, because many will assume that I did know, and chose to ignore it (a social etiquette matter, for example). 

Likewise, having been here for quite some time, having asked questions and read through string, and having once read the BoM, I know things many non-LDS don't.  Nevertheless, my knowledge can be quite spotty--especially on LDS matters that would not come up in interfaith discussions.