Pretend It's 1995

I am a optical illusion ......Lol !!!

Well, your avatar shows you riding a horse and you don't own a horse, so... It's all an illusion.  

I'm not really a rough rolling stone.  I'm really a softy, so...

Edited by Guest

Well, it's kind of like when you're looking all over for something and you're worried you've lost it forever, only to find that you've been holding it in your hand the whole time.

Ever happen to anyone else?  Anyone?  (No, Carb, just you.) <Drops his head and slunks away>

Edited by Guest

I'm going to put on my bar manager hat for a second and address this. The bar I manage has public WiFi available on the same connection we use for our business services (credit card transactions, web-based beer menu, Pandora, etc). Internet service can get pretty slow during peak hours, and there is potential for security issues as well. One of our other locations solved this by creating a separate connection for customers with its own unique password. Unfortunately, my ISP and router are different and we were unable to replicate that setup.

Long story short, there are practical advantages for a bar or cafe to not offer public wifi even if they have the capability to. But demand for it is so high that it is prudent for such a business to fabricate a cutesy excuse for their lack of wifi.

Yeah I'd be careful very careful about having credit card processing equipment on the same physical network as the public access wifi, even if the traffic is logically separated, although from your post I'm guessing that it isn't? There are some extremely strict rules that networks with credit card data passing through have to adhere to the point that many companies find it easier to simply use an analog phone line to send this data instead, with an air gap between this and their LAN.

Well, it's kind of like when you're looking all over for something and you're worried you've lost it forever, only to find that you've been holding it in your hand the whole time.

Ever happen to anyone else?  Anyone?  (No, Carb, just you.) <Drops his head and slunks away>

I've done that more often than I would like to admit. :(

I enjoy chatting online once in a great while.  I talk a lot with my family and some colleagues and friends.  My mom likes the telephone, so I'll call her sometimes.  However, LDS.net, artificial though it may be, is a very cool forum to talk with LDS folk.  I get to think carefully before i pose (even though my prolific typos seem to deny that).  I also get reasoned responses to real questions that are on my mind.  Before coming here, my main sources for LDS information, quite honestly were Evangelical critics of your faith.  I just did not know any LDS folk in the live world.

I'll go all NRA on you with this:  Technology doesn't kill live conversation -- people choose not to engage in it.

This may be a little sad, but I have noticed that since I've become involved with the internet, whether doing searches for information, Facebook, and then the past few years, lds.net, I do not read as many books.  I still read books, but not nearly the same amount as I used to.  And, reading used to be one of my favorite past times.  I could spend all day in a good book.  Now, I'm having a hard time staying focused with a book.

Guest LiterateParakeet

This may be a little sad, but I have noticed that since I've become involved with the internet, whether doing searches for information, Facebook, and then the past few years, lds.net, I do not read as many books.  I still read books, but not nearly the same amount as I used to.  And, reading used to be one of my favorite past times.  I could spend all day in a good book.  Now, I'm having a hard time staying focused with a book.

That has been my experience as well.  I don't know if (in my case) the Internet is the sole culprit.  There are other mitigating factors to my lack of concentration.  

But then again, I still average 2 or 3 books a month, so I'm not worried yet.  I've simply switched from reading to listening for some books.  :)  I l-o-o-o-o-v-e Audible.  

Guest MormonGator

That has been my experience as well.  I don't know if (in my case) the Internet is the sole culprit.  There are other mitigating factors to my lack of concentration.  

But then again, I still average 2 or 3 books a month, so I'm not worried yet.  I've simply switched from reading to listening for some books.   :)  I l-o-o-o-o-v-e Audible.  

I read about two hours a day. I make time before I go to bed, and when I wake up. I also love Audible.