Dungeons & Dragons - discussion, et cetra

Ironhold

So as not to derail a certain other thread, I'm starting this new thread here. 

The purpose of this thread will be to discuss all things relating to Dungeons & Dragons and all other tabletop role-playing games so far as allowed by the rules of conduct. I'm starting this thread both for convenience of others *and* so that the general public can see what actual games are like. 

That being said, let's have a go. 

House rules for this campaign:

Note that all rules presume either 3.0 or 3.5; I'll be using 3.0 for this one, but 3.5 is close enough. 

#1 - Stat pool

Here's how the stats will work. You role 3d6 six times to create a pool of numbers that you can assign to your attributes. You can then split a total of 10 points between these numbers. Under this method, for example, a numbers pool of 18, 15, 3, 3, 18, 18 could become 18, 15, 10, 6, 18, 18. 

If you want to use that stat pool, then fine. 

If you don't want to use that stat pool, then you have to set it aside so that your followers (if you get the "leadership" trait) can have them. 

#2 - Multi-Classing

IMHO, the biggest weakness of 3.0 and 3.5 is that if you wish to cross-class you have to decide which class to level up at each level-up. I prefer the old-school solution from Advanced. 

When you create the character, you can select as many character classes as you want so long as they are not in conflict; for example, you cannot be a paladin / thief because the classes have alignment conflicts. 

At each level, you gain the hit points, skill points, and feats of all classes simultaneously. You also get the starting equipment packages of all the classes, allowing you to make out like a bandit at first. 

For example, if you were a cleric / sorcerer, you'd gain the HP, SP, and feats of both at character creation and each time you leveled up. 

In exchange, however, the experience points you get from each event are divided by the number of classes you have. For example, our hypothetical cleric / sorcerer would have their XP award divided in half. 

#3 - Gear

Once you're done with your character, flip a coin. If you get heads, then your character gets a free 10-foot pole. If you get tails, then your character gets a free boat oar. 

It's been too long since I played D&D (15-20 years I'd imagine). I played by the rules as found in an old red manual that almost looked like a magazine in size. I think it might have been before AD&D, but I don't know for sure. I can dig around the attic some time and see if I can find it....

easier method perhaps - the book looks like this.

110274.jpg

Anyway, I found I was much more fascinated by the GURPS system of leveling up individual skills and attributes based on usage rather than the hack and slash grind to level up and mysteriously become better at everything - especially things you're character's never done. I also like the added realism of not increasing HP. I mean when your character gets stabbed through heart while sleeping he should die, not laugh it off as the dagger only did 12 HP damage against the Level X character with 73 HP. But that's just me, I did enjoy D&D as well, just once I experienced GURPS there was no going back really. I haven't played GURPS in a decade either though, so there you have it.

You want to play D&D on a forum?  Wouldn't that be a little clunky?  Not that I'm against D&D (I last played an hour ago), I'm just questioning the venue.

Games have been played via e-mail, so it can be done. 

As it is, the purpose of having everything in public is so that there's a public archive of what took place in an actual game run by actual people. This way, people can compare the example left here to the allegations raised by people opposed to gaming. 

Games have been played via e-mail, so it can be done. 

As it is, the purpose of having everything in public is so that there's a public archive of what took place in an actual game run by actual people. This way, people can compare the example left here to the allegations raised by people opposed to gaming. 

It's a shame that some people are so paranoid about role-playing games.

My husband and I play ~4 times a week, just the two of us.  It's a great date-night activity: we practice our creativity, narration skills, different perspectives, and puzzle solving skills.  It's also good because it's cheap (just paper and dice).

But yeah, I'll be game for this.  I take it you want to DM Ironhold?

I mean when your character gets stabbed through heart while sleeping he should die, not laugh it off as the dagger only did 12 HP damage against the Level X character with 73 HP. 

Version 3.5 had the condition called coup-de-grace which meant that if this situation happened, you just needed to make sure that you could be quiet enough as to not wake them up.  Then it was an automatic death.

There were also conditions of ultra-critical hits.  If you hit the right spot, you only had to do X HP of damage to kill -- no matter how many hit points a player had.  The X value changed for a type / size of creature.

Yup, the Basic version hasn't been around since the early 80s.  AD&D has gone on to 4.0, which I like a lot. Admittedly it isn't really the same game.  It doesn't mean I can't like it.  While I liked 3.5 (and thus, Pathfinder) I found the playability to be poor.

As for the house rules Ironhold stated:

I don't like the stat pool idea.  I've always gone for point values.  It helps ensure a balanced party and you can tailor it to the class you want, rather than trying to find a class that fits your stats.

Multiclass: I really prefer the new rules on multi-classing.  That way, I can have all the basic skills of a thief with only one or two levels.  Then change to a ranger or sorcerer in as many levels as I want.

Gear: What's wrong with giving everyone a certain amount of money to begin with?  You also need certain rules about mastercraft gear and magic items.  I frequently only allow magic items beginning at level 3, for example.

Edited by Guest

So, Ironhold,

Since I don't know the "other thread" you're talking about... are you proposing we play an online game?  Or are you just wanting to have a forum discussion about our likes and dislikes of various house rules for D&D?

Holy Paladin here,  

Order of the Rolling Stone, not to be confused with the band "Rolling Stones". But if I were in the band I'd still be a Paladin and play bass..

"Let's get our freak on!" --favorite saying when engaging in battle

I don't have a pet hamster or any other pets as I find them a distraction when it comes to stomping evil.

I have not idea what the standard attributes are. Can anyone list them?

Hmm... I know nothing about D&D except a knock-knock joke:

Knock, knock

Who's there

Dungeon and Dragons

Dungeon and Dragons who?

Don Johnson Dragons Miami Vice

I'll play the character of Troll.  Game Disruptor.

Guest MormonGator

I'll play the character of Troll.  Game Disruptor.

Zen like layers of meaning on this one Anatess! 

(kidding, kidding) 

I still mourn character deaths from my college years. 

Guest MormonGator

Yeah - I was offering to DM.

If this does get off the ground, I'd trust you guys to roll your own dice so long as you posted the results. 

I recently moved and my collection of dice is on a POD somewhere. I'd have to rely on you to roll for me, but I'd love to play. Haven't done so in too darn long. 

I can't bring myself to hit the like button.  I'm too busy groaning and rolling my eyes.  Can't focus. ;)

You sir, are disqualified from the game for carborendum conundrum.  No dice for you.

:P

I am in awe that this is happening :lol:

I've actually participated in a forum based D&D campaign on the ccgr.org site.  It was great, but the DM had to bow out because life got in the way.  We tried running it as a roll20 (gaming video chat software) and I DMmed and that was pretty cool.

I'm all up in 5th Edition in my tabletop game these days.  Soooo good.....