Son Arrested

Spiderjohn

This morning I got a call that my son was arrested. He was charged with a misdemeanor. He was out after curfew and for prowling. Also he tried to resist arrest. This is the first time something like this has happened that I'm aware of. One of his concerns is that he can not go on a mission now. I'm not really sure. Is this something that could prevent him from going on a mission?

Thanks

This morning I got a call that my son was arrested. He was charged with a misdemeanor. He was out after curfew and for prowling. Also he tried to resist arrest. This is the first time something like this has happened that I'm aware of. One of his concerns is that he can not go on a mission now. I'm not really sure. Is this something that could prevent him from going on a mission?

Thanks

sounds like you need to ask your stake pres that question ... :hmmm:

Most likely it will not keep him from a mission. Curfew is a very minor infraction, prowling now that is anohter thing and resisting arrest could become a felony. Depends on how the officer writes it up. In most cases the first two are citations and probation. Most likely the same for the third.

I would say time for a very heart to heart parent to child.

Ben Raines

The whole thing about some being found worthy by one bishop/ stake president can be so different from another with the same infraction.

I have been surprised in some of the boys who have gone on missions while others have not been allowed to go. Are there any clear cut policies on what is considered worthy and what is not? I know repentance comes into the equation but where does the line get drawn?

There is no law in the United States called prowling. Your son was not arrested in the process of committing a crime and was not arrested attempting to commit a crime. Your son was most likely stopped on a suspicious person investigation. Curfew laws are set in place to keep young people safe and it helps to stop teenage gang activity.

Resisting Arrest is a Class A Felony. Resisting Arrest may be a verbal resist or a physical resist. It can carry a sentence of up to two years in the county jail. If the Resisting Arrest was made with a Felony Arrest it can be punishable to a 20 year sentence in the penitentiary.

The resisting arrest would probably be the concern of the Missionary Program since he would be responsible for his behavior and respect the guidance of his Missionary Supervisors.

The whole thing about some being found worthy by one bishop/ stake president can be so different from another with the same infraction.

I have been surprised in some of the boys who have gone on missions while others have not been allowed to go. Are there any clear cut policies on what is considered worthy and what is not? I know repentance comes into the equation but where does the line get drawn?

SF there are some guidelines that will prevent some from going.....and then other issues such as the one mentioned here and alot of other things is up to their leaders...the Stake Pres has alot of input.

There is no law in the United States called prowling. Your son was not arrested in the process of committing a crime and was not arrested attempting to commit a crime. Your son was most likely stopped on a suspicious person investigation. Curfew laws are set in place to keep young people safe and it helps to stop teenage gang activity.

Resisting Arrest is a Class A Felony. Resisting Arrest may be a verbal resist or a physical resist. It can carry a sentence of up to two years in the county jail. If the Resisting Arrest was made with a Felony Arrest it can be punishable to a 20 year sentence in the penitentiary.

The resisting arrest would probably be the concern of the Missionary Program since he would be responsible for his behavior and respect the guidance of his Missionary Supervisors.

Probably prowling was used as a term for loitering. I looked up Utah laws and it is listed under the same category.

In this case it was probably just a good person being in the wrong place at the wrong time. As for the resisting arrest, he was probably a kid who was scared and didn't understand why he was stopped in the first place.

It's just Satan's way of trying to stop a Missionary from taking the gospel to someone who is waiting/praying.

I will keep this young man in my prayers.

I really feel for the boy and his parents. I had to deal with the teen-aged stupidity of my own sons (my daughter too). The biggest fear is that they will do something that will ruin their lives at so young an age.

I was especially stupid in my youth and my choices unalterably changed how my life is. I have tried to tell my kids to make their choices pay them instead of paying for them, but often they are impetuous or spontaneously and then do something that gets them into trouble. My boys got caught TPing a teacher's house and the teacher's husband was so upset, he pressed charges. The kids had to go to classes and paint graffiti for about a month. The youthful crime is now off their records (well, my oldest's, my youngest still has to wait until he is eighteen), but this kind of behavior and worse is what leads to a life of disappointments and possible bitterness.

Thanks Iggy

Your Welcome :hi:

When I was working in a grocery store in Oregon, I had a young couple on food stamps trying to figure out how they were going to purchase tp. Food stamps will not pay for bath soap, toothpaste, tp, laundry detergent, personal hygiene, etc. Only food. A bunch of teen aged boys came in and bought nearly a case of the cheapest toliet paper - they were going to tp someones home.

This young couple looked at each other and then the husband went outside. After the teenages paid for the tp, the young wife and baby came through and paid for their purchases. I asked if that was all - she smiled and said, well it will be after her husband follows the boys to the house they are going to tp and wait for them to get done, then he is going to remove some for us to use until he gets paid on the following monday!

Another added bonus for her was in their haste to get into their car and get to the house to tp it, they lost a package of tp in the parking lot. The box boy who was helping the young mother, saw it - picked it up - looked at her and grinned like a Cheshire Cat and tossed it into her cart. Yes the husband took their car, but they only lived across the street - so the box boy walked her and the baby home!

When I was working in a grocery store in Oregon, I had a young couple on food stamps trying to figure out how they were going to purchase tp. Food stamps will not pay for bath soap, toothpaste, tp, laundry detergent, personal hygiene, etc. Only food. A bunch of teen aged boys came in and bought nearly a case of the cheapest toliet paper - they were going to tp someones home.

. . . <snipped>

Another added bonus for her was in their haste to get into their car and get to the house to tp it, they lost a package of tp in the parking lot. The box boy who was helping the young mother, saw it - picked it up - looked at her and grinned like a Cheshire Cat and tossed it into her cart. Yes the husband took their car, but they only lived across the street - so the box boy walked her and the baby home!

So these YM were up to no good, but even in their "badness", the result was something good for somebody else. Amazing how things work.

• 2 years later...

I'm uncertain what prowling even entails.

Out after curfew? 'Prowling'? It doesn't sound like he did anything wrong.

Unless he was peeking in to people's windows, I remember when I would break curfew. I'd sneak around through parks and such. Occasionally, we might cut through someone's yard. This doesn't seem that serious to me.

i know its an old thread but I was brought up in a family of policemen going back to Sir Robert Peel (founder of my countries modern police service), my Uncle was a senior police officer here and in Hong Kong.

I was brought up with you never speak to a police officer when accused of something with a solicitor /lawyer present. Fortunatly my husband had an incident and now agrees with this, and he now does not go out without the name and number of a really good solicitor in his wallet. When my kids start leaving the house alone will make sure they carry one too

He was out after curfew and for prowling. Also he tried to resist arrest.

The resisting arrest thing is a bit worrisome, but the other two don't necessarily mean anything at all.

This is the first time something like this has happened that I'm aware of.

Well, it would be wise to understand that your kid goes off and does this stuff - this is the first you're hearing about it. But again, the 'stuff' sure could be a lot worse. No drugs, sex, gang violence, vandalism, assault, vehicular theft? And he's talking about missions? Yeah, time for a heart to heart, but in the big scheme of things, maybe not so bad (depending on the resisting arrest details).

LM

The clear cut stuff is with specific sins and behaviours (IE such as adultery). I think the major influence on whether or not a missionaryis sent, is the missionary wanting to go, and why he wants to go (supposing he doesn't have to repent of something that would keep him from going)... as well as what the bishop and stake president feel inspired to do.