Celebrating our questionable musical tastes

Vort

5 hours ago, Eowyn said:

True guilty pleasure (though in my defense, I didn't know who it was before I started liking it on the radio, and in further defense, I think it's the engineering/mixing I like more than anything):

I remember something online about JB and a testimony he did about Jesus/Christianity? Some atheist was upset with him.

Al Yankovic is a genius. Call it questionable musical-ish taste if you want, but I find no guilt at all in taking pleasure in Weird Al's music.

(Hey, what happened to the "musical-ish" thread title? Now it's just all normal and boring, as I originally intended it.  I liked Eowyn's title better.)

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Vort said:

Al Yankovic is a genius. Call it questionable musical-ish taste if you want, but I find no guilt at all in taking pleasure in Weird Al's music.

Talented, yes. Genius, no. His "original" music is terrible and in the end, he just does cover songs. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

Talented, yes. Genius, no. His "original" music is terrible and in the end, he just does cover songs. 

I love his original songs, "syle parodies" and otherwise. Absolutely genius.

2 hours ago, Vort said:

(Hey, what happened to the "musical-ish" thread title? Now it's just all normal and boring, as I originally intended it.  I liked Eowyn's title better.)

What not many people realize is that Al is, in fact, what society would consider to be a genius.

Al graduated valedictorian... at the age of 16. His math scores were so high that his counselors recommended he major in a field related to math, and so he chose architecture. He went to a very reputable college, and paid his way through in part by working at the campus radio station. It was here that he earned the "Weird" nickname for his on-air antics, and he recorded his first official single - "My Bologna" - in the men's room because he liked the acoustics the tile gave off. 

This is on top of the fact that Al's first song, "Belvedere Cruising", was actually being played on the radio before he even got to high school. Dr. Demento received a copy of the song and loved it so much he put it into the rotation. This gave Al vital exposure he was able to capitalize on during the first part of his recording career (he did get his bachelor's degree, but chose music instead), and in exchange Al would allow Dr. Demento to cameo in most of his early music videos and other media ventures. 

Guest MormonGator
18 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

What not many people realize is that Al is, in fact, what society would consider to be a genius.

He might be incredibly bright, a nice guy, a wonderful son and husband-but that doesn't mean that his music is good. 

I have nothing personal against the guy. For some reason I've never liked the popular comedians like him, that dude with the puppets, Adam Sandler. Just my personal tastes. 

Edited by MormonGator

On 4/19/2016 at 11:24 AM, MormonGator said:

too late! Boo!!! 

(Actually you blew it kid with your admission to liking Hanson) 

I never heard of Hanson. Or more likely, I heard of them, but never heard their music or knew anything about them, so I forgot. I just did a quick YouTube search. Those were some amazingly talented young men. Their music is a bit more pop-ish that I normally listen to, but they had real talent, not some prescripted autotuned awfulness.

Guest MormonGator
7 hours ago, Vort said:

I never heard of Hanson. Or more likely, I heard of them, but never heard their music or knew anything about them, so I forgot. I just did a quick YouTube search. Those were some amazingly talented young men. Their music is a bit more pop-ish that I normally listen to, but they had real talent, not some prescripted autotuned awfulness.

How is is talented to make up a word like "MMbop" then repeat it dozens of times? 

I'm being semi-serious. They do have talent, I agree. 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

How is is talented to make up a word like "MMbop" then repeat it dozens of times?

Their harmonies were beautiful, and they played well. They had a good ear for musical hooks. Don't know what they're up to now, but yes, very talented boys.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Vort said:

Their harmonies were beautiful, and they played well. They had a good ear for musical hooks. Don't know what they're up to now, but yes, very talented boys.

Keep Mmmbopping around Vort. ;)