Is it them or me?

cemfitzie

So, I have a really hard time asking for help but while I was on my mission I was taught to allow those holding the Priesthood the chance to use that Priesthood to help me.  That being said, I still have a hard time asking for Priesthood blessings and usually wait until I cannot handle whatever the situation is anymore to ask for a blessing.  Normally when that happens I pray and ask Heavenly Father who He would have me ask.  I would go to my father but is a convert and has never given a blessing before and has no desire to give one (if I ask, he'll call the missionaries).  First, I felt like I was supposed to ask a close friend who had just received the Priesthood.  I knew that he might not be comfortable giving it right away so when I asked I told him it was alright if he wasn't ready and that I could ask another person.  He wasn't comfortable and since everyone else had already left I decided to wait to get a blessing.  A while later I asked him again when I was struggling with my testimony and he said no.  I asked another close friend and they said no as well.  I lost it and felt like I was being denied blessings because I was not worthy to receive them.  It took me a long time to gain a testimony back and learn to trust Heavenly Father again.  Today, I was having a really hard time at church and cried through most of Sacrament, went to my car and cried during Sunday School, and after praying I felt like I needed to ask for a blessing.  I felt like I should ask one of my new friends in the ward and actually felt mostly comfortable asking.  He said no also and that he wasn't in the right mind to do it.  It took everything I had not to burst out crying right there.  I literally felt my heart sink as I felt like I was being denied again.  He offered to go find someone else to do it but I couldn't take getting rejected again and I could already feel the doubt that I had tried to fight off come into my heart and mind again.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is is it me or them?  Am I suddenly unworthy to receive Priesthood blessings?  Or am I just having rotten luck getting someone to agree to give me one?  And how can I not feel like I'm being shunned away from Heavenly Father when I am denied a blessing?

I don't ask for blessings often, I normally just have maybe 1 every 6 months and they've all been done by missionaries.  I would ask the missionaries again but I keep getting a prompting to let the members do it and I keep getting denied when I do.  I'm in a very small YSA ward and soon, I won't have anymore members to turn to and ask for one.

16 minutes ago, cemfitzie said:

I would go to my father but is a convert and has never given a blessing before and has no desire to give one (if I ask, he'll call the missionaries).

Would your father consent to give a blessing with one of the missionaries acting as "mouth"? He'd be there, use his Priesthood, and not have the pressure of doing something new. As he gets used to the process, he just might surprise you the next time you ask.

Lehi

You're not alone.

I have been refused by the missionaries also, and the Bishop was out of town and the others were all busy or something, and I was leaving town the next day, but I was only suffering from stage 4 cancer, so the missionaries finally got permission from the Mission President and did give me a blessing.

But that's just the way it is sometimes. 

Other times they go out of their way to get me, even if I'm not interested or in need of it at the time.

I guess it's like hunting and fishing, and major activity periods.  Sometimes the spirit is active or not amongst the people.

Just go back to the basics and wait til the time is right.

dc

It's not you.  Rather, it's a streak of bad luck.  Such as the one guy who felt he wasn't in the right place to give a blessing--  which if he's not in the place he was correct to be honest with you.  Don't let his honesty result in you some how thinking you're unworthy.  Please, get the blessing you need.

I've declined to give a blessing before when I didn't feel I was the right person to do it, but at the same time, the reason I allowed myself that decision was partly that I knew the missionaries were on a fool's errand (contacting an inactive family that never answers the door for members) a few blocks away and could be there within five minutes.  Had I been the only Priesthood holder readily available, had I been more closely connected to the person asking, or had she been in immediate pain or distress, (it was regarding a situation that wasn't going to happen until the following week) I would have simply assumed I was called to the task and the Lord would qualify the called.  As it was, He had given me a rather unusual and convenient out.  (I don't normally have any clue where the missionaries are, but they had mentioned that appointment earlier in the day.)

3 hours ago, cemfitzie said:

I guess what I'm trying to ask is is it me or them?  Am I suddenly unworthy to receive Priesthood blessings?  Or am I just having rotten luck getting someone to agree to give me one?  And how can I not feel like I'm being shunned away from Heavenly Father when I am denied a blessing?

So do you feel unworthy to receive a blessing because you have been denied by those you have asked? If so, that is Satan trying to dissuade you from finding the spiritual guidance you need. Priesthood holders have a large responsibility to hold that power, and may not always be worthy to use it. I can only imagine how hard it is, especially for YSA men, to be dealing with their own battles and be approached to use their priesthood authority to give a blessing and have to say no because they themselves are not worthy to give it or are mentally incapable of doing so. 

I understand being in a small YSA ward, I myself am in that same situation. Please reach out to your Bishop for a blessing. That is what he is there for. If your feelings of unworthiness have a deeper root than the feeling of inadequacy as a result of being denied by priesthood holders for a blessing, then you can discuss that with him as well. Nothing will ever keep you from being able to receive a priesthood blessing. Those who are not of our faith receive them all the time. 

Where I am at asking for a blessing gets a response that is usually faster than 911.

I don't know if it's possible to be unworthy to receive a blessing.  Certainly a person could be unworthy to give one.

YSA wards have unique challenges, but receiving a priesthood blessing should never be one of them. 

It's not you.  It sounds like you're trying to do things right and follow the Spirit as you make your requests.  I think it's great that you are a thoughtful enough person to pray about who to ask.  God will certainly bless you for this.

Your experience reminds me of scriptures that teach that sometimes even when we pursue a good thing there might be some unexpected obstacles in the way (e.g. Lehi's sons trying to get the brass plates)  Try not to be discouraged.  Let the Bishop and possibly Elder's quorum president know about your experience when asking for blessings and request they assign you a home teacher who is willing and able to give blessings should you ever need one.

One good thing that likely came out of this already was that those who didn't feel up to the task were reminded that they have some work to do.  Hopefully they'll respond and become prepared to exercise the priesthood.  But even if they don't, it was good that God gave them the chance.

3 hours ago, Rhoades said:

It's not you.  It sounds like you're trying to do things right and follow the Spirit as you make your requests.  I think it's great that you are a thoughtful enough person to pray about who to ask.  God will certainly bless you for this.

Your experience reminds me of scriptures that teach that sometimes even when we pursue a good thing there might be some unexpected obstacles in the way (e.g. Lehi's sons trying to get the brass plates)  Try not to be discouraged.  Let the Bishop and possibly Elder's quorum president know about your experience when asking for blessings and request they assign you a home teacher who is willing and able to give blessings should you ever need one.

One good thing that likely came out of this already was that those who didn't feel up to the task were reminded that they have some work to do.  Hopefully they'll respond and become prepared to exercise the priesthood.  But even if they don't, it was good that God gave them the chance.

I love this answer.

It might possibly be that you asking these people is simply God's way of using you as an angel to prompt these struggling priesthood holders to work towards being worthy to hold the authority...

You are an ANGEL.

3 hours ago, Rhoades said:

I love this answer.

It might possibly be that you asking these people is simply God's way of using you as an angel to prompt these struggling priesthood holders to work towards being worthy to hold the authority...

You are an ANGEL.