Is exaltation and being a God work 24/7?

If you are exalted, you're creating planets, having spirit children and working a lot. Is it all work and no play, or is there plenty of ability to have fun and relax and enjoy yourself, because if it's all work all the time for the rest of eternity, that doesn't sound very appealing to me. Same thing with Spirit Paradise. I hear we'll be spending all our time doing missionary work. Don't we get a chance to rest and enjoy our surroundings in heaven?

I believe the desire to "rest and enjoy our surroundings" is a worldly pleasure we crave because of our human nature. I believe if we are God-like, our desires will be much different and will reflect the nature of charity and service. The desire or want to relax and enjoy our time won't exist, because our desire will be to bless the lives of others. 

I'm not sure exactly what we'll be doing, but here's a scripture related to the topic.

Genesis 2:2-3

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Having the right amount of work is enjoyable and rewarding.  I suspect we'll get to do some work no matter which kingdom we end up in, and we'll enjoy it.  The "right amount" might be different in the next life, but I don't know.    In any case, I don't think a celestial being will feel overworked and miserable.

We know very little about the life God lives, nor do I think we would understand it:

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Isaiah 55

However, my strong personal opinion is that it is a joyful life, full of things that bring true joy - so I imagine this will include hanging with friends, learning, exploring, recreation, etc.

If there's anything you enjoy and you can imagine never getting tired of, that's the kind of thing we'll mostly be doing there.

I imagine there is a lot of work too. Probably mostly working. And growing personally, such as learning to be better in areas such as teaching, planning, and leading. But all voluntary. And the work will be joyful too, none of this meaningless, gray-cubicle-drone or mindless-manual-labor stuff people have to do now in this ridiculous Telestial world. We will be doing things that are deeply meaningful and all about serving and loving other people - so even trivial tasks toward that end will feel meaningful.

This is all my imagining of partly of how it will be.

Remember also that we will not need sleep or get tired. We will have plenty of time and energy for every good activity. And forever to do it in :D.

Hey, this sounds like a life that would be worth working toward right now, doesn't it?

Edited by tesuji

17 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

If you are exalted, you're creating planets, having spirit children and working a lot. Is it all work and no play, or is there plenty of ability to have fun and relax and enjoy yourself, because if it's all work all the time for the rest of eternity, that doesn't sound very appealing to me. Same thing with Spirit Paradise. I hear we'll be spending all our time doing missionary work. Don't we get a chance to rest and enjoy our surroundings in heaven?

16 hours ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

I believe the desire to "rest and enjoy our surroundings" is a worldly pleasure we crave because of our human nature. I believe if we are God-like, our desires will be much different and will reflect the nature of charity and service. The desire or want to relax and enjoy our time won't exist, because our desire will be to bless the lives of others. 

I like to ponder on this piece of scripture:

"Wherefore, verily I say unto you that all things unto me are spiritual..." (D&C 29:34).

This makes me think about the type of life as gods. We will be spiritual beings with physical glorified bodies, without disease or fatigue. That means there won’t be need for sleep to recover our strength as we do now. As our perfected spirits will be what will sustain our lives, our bodies will function according to the commands of our spirits in this state.

Another piece of scripture I like a lot is this:

“When the Savior shall appear we shall see him as he is. We shall see that he is a man like ourselves. And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy” (D&C 130:1-2).

So, we can conclude we will be sociable there, talk to one another. Here on Earth we pretty much talk about sports, celebs’ lives and sometimes about the gospel. There, our need for conversation will probably be based on the eternal progression of men, the work and the glory of God, the business of our Father.

We need leisure time here because of the exhausting and stressing jobs we have. There, our work won’t be boring. With perfect, glorified and immortal bodies, exalted and gloried spirits and from eternity to eternity, we will perform the great work of the Gods and have plenty of joy with it. In this I believe.

Lectures on Faith, Lecture 4, Pg.43

...without the knowledge of all things, God would not be able to save any portion of His creatures; for it is by reason of the knowledge which He has of all things, form the beginning to the end, that enables Him to give that understanding to His creatures by which they are made partakers of eternal life; and if it were not for the idea existing in the minds of men that God had all knowledge it would be impossible for them to exercise faith in Him.

All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience, Chapter 2 "The Omniscience of an Omnipotent and Omniloving God", Neal A. Maxwell.

Those who try to qualify God's omniscience fail to understand that He has no need to avoid ennui by learning new things. Because God's love is also perfect, there is, in fact, divine delight in that "one eternal round" which, to us, seems to be all routine and repetition. God derives His great and continuing joy and glory by increasing and advancing His creations, and not from new intellectual experiences.

There is a vast difference, therefore, between an omniscient God and the false notion that God is on some sort of post-doctoral fellowship, still searching for additional key truths and vital data. Were the latter so, God might, at any moment, discover some new truth not previously known to Him that would restructure, diminish, or undercut certain truths previously known by Him. Prophecy would be mere prediction. Planning assumptions pertaining to our redemption would need to be revised. Fortunately for us, however, His plan of salvation is constantly underway -- not constantly under revision.

http://www.mormoninterpreter.com/understanding-genesis-and-the-temple/

Walton here likens functional creation and the Sabbath to “getting a new computer and spending focused time setting it up (placing the equipment, connecting the wires, installing the software). After all of those tasks were done, you would disengage from the process, mostly so you could now engage in the new tasks of actually using the computer. That is what it had been set up for.

IMO, exaltation, for those who obtain it, will come after they have learned all things (prior to completion, it will be the path to exaltation).  Thereafter, they will engage in the same work God is engaged in now, and their rest will be much like that described by Walton in the quote immediately above - using their creations for their intended purpose.  That, of course, is all speculation on my part, as I agree with Paul, that we cannot imagine what it will be like - this is just as close as I can come given what I know.

A small child may complain that they don't want to grow up because grown-ups don't get to do certain childish things that kids love. Of course that's not true. Adults could do such things. They just don't care to.

Why can't we trust God when he tells us that exaltation will bring a fulness of joy? Why would we presume that our mortal views of what we enjoy and do not will apply? A child may not be able to understand that when they're a grown up they probably won't be interested in childish things any longer. Despite the fact that our mortal maturity compared to God is significantly greater (away from) than a child's compared to ours, I would still hope that we could be reasonable and mature enough about things to understand that our views as gods will not be the same as our views as limited, childish, weak mortals.

God has said what His glory is. He has proclaimed we will have a fulness of joy. Let's believe him.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

On 7/9/2016 at 11:42 PM, Zarahemla said:

The purpose of the Sabbath is to learn by experience what it is like living a holy exalted existence.  This gift is given that our day of "rest" becomes an exercise in discipline and the evolutionary choice of agency between spiritual enlightenment and worldly pleasures.  Thus through agency we exercise our individual desires towards the Sabbath that through our efforts become either the act of discipline and engineering of one's destiny or the pleasure and rewards of the moment - let us not pretend surprise when we become and achieve what we have been becoming and striving to be.

The Traveler

On July 9, 2016 at 11:42 PM, Zarahemla said:

God rested the seventh day and made it holy.

On July 9, 2016 at 6:36 AM, Rhoades said:

I'm not sure exactly what we'll be doing, but here's a scripture related to the topic.

Genesis 2:2-3

Having the right amount of work is enjoyable and rewarding.  I suspect we'll get to do some work no matter which kingdom we end up in, and we'll enjoy it.  The "right amount" might be different in the next life, but I don't know.    In any case, I don't think a celestial being will feel overworked and miserable.

Also if youre the head of a family thats in the kajillions to the nth degree.... Id wager you could get a few things done by giving directions to those who are under you.

22 hours ago, Traveler said:

The purpose of the Sabbath is to learn by experience what it is like living a holy exalted existence.  This gift is given that our day of "rest" becomes an exercise in discipline and the evolutionary choice of agency between spiritual enlightenment and worldly pleasures.  Thus through agency we exercise our individual desires towards the Sabbath that through our efforts become either the act of discipline and engineering of one's destiny or the pleasure and rewards of the moment - let us not pretend surprise when we become and achieve what we have been becoming and striving to be.

The Traveler

I really liked this. Mind opening!

Thanx a lot.