Will polygamy be re-instituted after plagues of the last days wipe out a lot of the earth's population?

On 7/25/2016 at 5:10 AM, Traveler said:

Let me provide some context.  My great grandfather was very much in love with his wife and her with him.  There are many touching stories about their tenderness and devotions towards each other.  Those that have looked at pictures of their ancestors that lived in the 1800’s are often amused by their stoic and plain poses.  My great grandfather was no stunningly hansom fellow but from photos my great grandmother was an exceptional beauty.  Not just in her time but even by today’s standards.   Not only was she a stunning beauty but she was well educated, musically talented and an exceptional thinker for her time and circumstance.   Great grandfather was a lot like Lehi of old – a very successful business man and served as the executive secretary (equal to CEO) of one of the Churches most successful United Orders.

Great grandfather and his wife received commandment from the prophet Brigham Young to include another wife in their marriage.  The two privately met to discuss this commandment but great grandmother would have nothing of it.  To say she was furious would be a gross understatement.   She left the meeting with great grandfather and started walking from her home in Brigham City, Utah to Salt Lake City to meet personally with Brigham Young.  It is said that several passed by great grandmother on her way and offered to take her and save her walking.  She refused any help and snarled in return, “No thank you – I am in a hurry and cannot be bothered”. 

She reached Salt Lake City and went directly to the Church’s administration building east of the Salt Lake Temple.  She went straight to Brigham Young’s office ignoring those that said she could not enter Brigham’s private office with permission.  The story is that Brigham was busy and dismissed his guests to see great grandmother.  It was said her voice of anger could be heard though out the admin building and that Brigham quietly closed his office door.  Twenty minutes or so great grandmother left Brigham’s office a very changed lady.  There is no record what happened or what or who said anything.  But a definite change in great grandmother.  She was taken home by carriage and soon afterwards great grandfather took a second wife by his first wife’s demand.

However, great grandfather did record that there is a divine order to plural wives.  That it is the primary responsibility of the first wife preside over the consideration and the courtship of all additional wives.  That the first wife does not merely provide input but is the one to determine what women are considered and eventually allowed and that all other wives must sustain and support the first wife – or an additional wife should not be allowed.  Also that if there is divorce from a wife – it is initiated by the first wife.  But even then the choice to consider an additional wife is not a choice of either the husband or wife but can only come by commandment from the prophet that holds the designated keys.  And that the keys cannot be delegated but must remain exclusively by the Prophet and President of the first Quorum of the President.  In short the Prophet must give a command for a marriage to take and additional wife and then the first wife has the responsibility to determine who it will be.  Perhaps considering the wishes of her husband of who to consider but that she determine who and how the new wife is invited. 

It was the opinion of great grandfather that a husband seeking an additional wife without the knowledge and willing consent of the first wife was an act of adultery.  I am sure there is more to all this than what I have highlighted but that this is the essence of at least part of the law and commandment of plural marriage.

The Traveler

Traveler, thanks to the faithfulness and obedience of your great grandparents, 150 years later, on the other side of the world, I, and presumably others, gain the benefit of your posts. Its interesting to reflect on how things come about, and how decisions, both good and bad, can have such long lasting effects on so many people. 

5 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Traveler, thanks to the faithfulness and obedience of your great grandparents, 150 years later, on the other side of the world, I, and presumably others, gain the benefit of your posts. Its interesting to reflect on how things come about, and how decisions, both good and bad, can have such long lasting effects on so many people. 

The sad thing about this is that there are several examples in my family tree of exactly the abuses my great grandfather referenced.  That our generation receives both the good and the bad that gets passed down through the family tree.  The best friend of Boyd K. Packer from childhood and through out their lives was the brother of my father.  Both served during WWII.  Boyd used his experiences to prepare him to be an Apostle of G-d and my uncle to become an avid atheists.   Some of my uncle's grandchildren are currently active members.  As much good as there is passed down from our fathers there are those that go astray and as much apostasy as there once was there are strong children of the covenant.  I marvel both with joy and weep with sorrow how things change from generation to generation.

The Traveler

5 hours ago, askandanswer said:

The sad thing about this is that there are several examples in my family tree of exactly the abuses my great grandfather referenced.  That our generation receives both the good and the bad that gets passed down through the family tree.  The best friend of Boyd K. Packer from childhood and through out their lives was the brother of my father.  Both served during WWII.  Boyd used his experiences to prepare him to be an Apostle of G-d and my uncle to become an avid atheists.   Some of my uncle's grandchildren are currently active members.  As much good as there is passed down from our fathers there are those that go astray and as much apostasy as there once was there are strong children of the covenant.  I marvel both with joy and weep with sorrow how things change from generation to generation.

The Traveler

18 hours ago, Traveler said:

I marvel both with joy and weep with sorrow how things change from generation to generation.

Isn't that just the truth?

I marvel both with joy and weep with sorrow how things change from generation to generation.

I know some guys that want polygamy to be apart of their eternities. Personally, if it's of God I wouldn't mind living it as long as there's no jealousy and everyone feels loved.

10 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I know some guys that want polygamy to be apart of their eternities. Personally, if it's of God I wouldn't mind living it as long as there's no jealousy and everyone feels loved.

How, if it's "apart [sic] of their eternities" would it be anything but "of God"? How, prithee, would there be jealousy, and how would anyone not feel loved?

Your premise seems confusing.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

10 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Zarahemla -  May I ask what specific / exact religion are you? 

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Zarahemla said:

LDS my whole life, why?

I'd like to know why too. With a name like "Zarahelma" it's fairly obvious the dude has been LDS for a prolonged period of time. 

(You know I got nothing but love for you @NeedleinA so I apologize if that comes out more snarky than I meant it to be. Seriously, I don't mean anything rude by it at all.) 

Edited by MormonGator

2 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

LDS my whole life, why?

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

I'd like to know why too. With a name like "Zarahelma" it's fairly obvious the dude has been LDS for a prolonged period of time. 

(You know I got nothing but love for you @NeedleinA so I apologize if that comes out more snarky than I meant it to be. Seriously, I don't mean anything rude by it at all.) 

I ask simply so that moving forward I can better try to understand the posts and questions that Zarahemla leaves. Since it is not stated in his/her profile, I didn't want to assume incorrectly. To the best of my understanding, there are over 100 different strands/sects/divisions of "Mormons". We have had other users here which identify as "Mormon" or "Latter-Day Saints", however do not identify as being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Even saying one is "LDS" is not enough to identify with an exact religion. Even my own profile uses LDS*, which could be left up to interpretation. 

*I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Some break offs of the church believe part of what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints teaches but not all of it, so simply using a BOM name or an image of an early dispensation temple does not always mean what one might think it means. Several of the break-offs believe heavily in polygamy still, some disregard D&C 132 as begin of dubious origins, etc. So solely for the purposes of clarification.

p.s. Everything is happy going @MormonGator;), no worries!

Edited by NeedleinA

Guest MormonGator
26 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

I ask simply so that moving forward I can better try to understand the posts and questions that Zarahemla leaves. Since it is not stated in his/her profile, I didn't want to assume incorrectly. To the best of my understanding, there are over 100 different strands/sects/divisions of "Mormons". We have had other users here which identify as as "Mormon" or "Latter-Day Saints", however do not identify as being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Even saying one is "LDS" is not enough to identify with an exact religion. Even my own profile uses LDS*, which could be left up to interpretation. 

*I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Some break offs of the church believe part of what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints teaches but not all of it, so simply using a BOM name or an image of an early dispensation temple does not always mean what one might think it means. Several of the break-offs believe heavily in polygamy still, some disregard D&C 132 as begin of dubious origins, etc. So solely for the purposes of clarification.

All great reasons.

9 minutes ago, zil said:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  (Capitalization of that one little "d" actually changes everything.)

I just changed mine, especial, just for you.

Gracis Zil - just fixed mine too! Hah!;)

I follow the church that's led by Thomas S Monson. But D&C 132 is part of our scriptures and 10 of our 16 prophets have plural temple sealings. Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, Lorenzo Snow, Joseph F Smith, Heber J Grant, Joseph Fielding Smith, Harold B Lee, and Howard W Hunter all have plural sealings in the temple and expect all their wives in heaven. Also the next 2 in line to be prophet Russell M Nelson and Dallin H Oaks are sealed to multiple women. That's a high percentage of prophets who are expecting polygamy in the eternities and if they have that blessing why cant others have the same blessings? That creates jealousy in some people.

49 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I follow the church that's led by Thomas S Monson. But D&C 132 is part of our scriptures and 10 of our 16 prophets have plural temple sealings. Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, Lorenzo Snow, Joseph F Smith, Heber J Grant, Joseph Fielding Smith, Harold B Lee, and Howard W Hunter all have plural sealings in the temple and expect all their wives in heaven. Also the next 2 in line to be prophet Russell M Nelson and Dallin H Oaks are sealed to multiple women. That's a high percentage of prophets who are expecting polygamy in the eternities and if they have that blessing why cant others have the same blessings? That creates jealousy in some people.

Quite a few members of the church have plural sealings. There are a lot of widowers that have plural sealings. Even women who have been married to more than one man, once they are all deceased can be sealed to all her husbands.

8 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

That's a high percentage of prophets who are expecting polygamy in the eternities and if they have that blessing why cant others have the same blessings? That creates jealousy in some people.

:rofl::rofl:

Whether you're talking about yourself or some hypothetical someone, I don't see how one person is blessed more or less because of the number of wives one has or how many earthly children for that matter.  Do you honestly believe that a family with two or three kids is jealous of me because I have seven or vice-versa?  Why is it any different with the number of wives?

I fear you're placing earthly values and judgment onto Eternal Life.  And I don't agree with this interpretation.  Why you seem to be fixated on polygamy is beyond me.

YES!  It is an inspired practice.  But by basic math alone, no man is commanded to practice it for the sake of practicing it.  It is commanded when the conditions are right.  Right now, the conditions aren't right.

This has been said a dozen times in this thread and you keep asking the same question as if it hasn't been answered.  It has, but because it isn't the answer you like, you keep bringing up the same things you've already brought up as if we haven't read the D&C or don't know Church history.  

Do you honestly WANT a second wife?  Why? Pray, tell.

10 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I am inclined to think that many brethren looking forward to polygamy – do so in error – perhaps thinking that it would help difficulties they are currently experiencing (causing) in their marriage.  I personally find marriage sufficiently challenging and difficult enough that I must rely more upon the goodness and understanding of my wife than I ought.  The sacrifices necessary for one wife is enough for me; all this despite the fact that I have calculated the if only physical was taken into account I and my current spouse would likely be happier with about 20 sister wives – but PLEASE do not ever mention this to her.

The Traveler

• pam locked this topic