Are you good staying humble?

Many years ago I took my family to the Nauvoo pageant.  While waiting for things to begin we were sitting in very good seats and missionaries were coming around to talk to the early guests.  In front of me and my family was a pair of elderly ladies that were not LDS.  The sister missionaries talked to them and then left with their testimonies that the “church was true”.  One of the elderly ladies turned to the other after the missionaries left and said that she knew that the Mormon Church was true because she had been to Salt Lake City and seen it.

Many have different ideas about what a true Church is.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only Church (or organization) on earth that G-d has authorized to perform “Saving” ordinances through his order of the priesthood that can stand valid for eternity.   But it does not mean that we “Mormons” are the only ones that have access to truth (true doctrine).  I am convinced that many outside the LDS Church are more knowledgeable of principles of truth than many members are.

Another thought comes from a quote for “Spider Man” – “With great power comes great responsibility.”  There is no other organization on earth with more responsibility to be an example of “Peace” than the LDS Church.  I do not believe we are holding up to our greater responsibility – certainly not enough to brag much about.  It is my impression that the powers of G-d that will bring salvation is not about individuals doing things to enable their individual salvation.  As I understand – becoming one with G-d is not about how great one is about collecting blessings for themselves but how much one is willing to sacrifice for and give service to others.

If someone thinks that knowing and understanding truth in any way makes humility more difficult – they, not only have not really found the truth – but they are headed, totally, in the wrong direction in their pursuit of truth.

The Traveler

On August 31, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Zarahemla said:

Being a member of the one true church and having ordinances been done, it can be tempting to think of yourself in high esteem and headed to the Celestial Kingdom while you may see others you interact with in life or see in life as not on the same path towards Celestial glory. This can be especially hard when you're a rare Mormon in an area with majority non Mormons. So are you good at staying hunble and not being prideful in your heart thinking "I'm special because I'm in the one true church and are at liberty to better spiritual blessings than non Mormons." The scripture that comes to mind is "He who exalteth himself shall be abased, and he who humbleth himself shall be exalted." But is it hard to be really humble enough when you know you have the chance of godhood?

I am bad at it...... But this thread title reminded me of the character Wormwood from one of CS Lewis books, where as a devil heis trying to instruct his nephew devil how to turn his patient away from God; (paraphrased) "I notice that your subject has suffering a greater case of humility lately... have you brought his attention to it?"

Edited by Blackmarch

2 hours ago, Blackmarch said:

I am bad at it...... But this thread title reminded me of the character Wormwood from one of CS Lewis books, where as a devil he is trying to instruct his nephew devil how to turn his patient away from God; (paraphrased) "I notice that your subject has suffering a greater case of humility lately... have you brought his attention to it?"

The Screwtape Letters, and I believe Screwtape is the uncle and Wormwood the nephew.

48 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I think it's important to dress like you're humble and not clothe yourself decked out in bling and expensive shirts or jewelry.

Good point, and I was just on my way to buy this ring. 

Image result for bling

I'm joking, but I agree that humility can be shown through how we dress

1 hour ago, Zarahemla said:

I think it's important to dress like you're humble and not clothe yourself decked out in bling and expensive shirts or jewelry.

How do you dress like your humble?

I wear nice tailored clothing to church and work.  have nice man jewelry, I am not embarrassed about it. I don't flaunt it but the casual observer cannot say that I dress humbly. 

29 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

How do you dress like your humble?

I wear nice tailored clothing to church and work.  have nice man jewelry, I am not embarrassed about it. I don't flaunt it but the casual observer cannot say that I dress humbly. 

Don't dress like rappers or pimps and you'll be fine.

Guest MormonGator
3 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

Not really. If I can afford nice things than there is nothing wrong with buying them. 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Not really. If I can afford nice things than there is nothing wrong with buying them. 

Didn't you read the Book of Mormon? A big sign of pride is wearing fine apparel.

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Didn't you read the Book of Mormon? A big sign of pride is wearing fine apparel.

No, never read it. Never even heard of it. 

Envy is as sinful as pride. 

15 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I have a big problem with this thought process that some people seem to have. It seems to be a sort of reverse guilt type of thing that we should have for being successful. I don't and won't buy into it.  Being successful in worldly ways allows you to contribute more to the building of the kingdom of God here on the earth, it is nothing to be ashamed of. The more successful I am the more I am able to help out my fellow man. Part of being successful means walking in certain circles where there are expectations of dress, and other "worldly" exhibitions of success. So what? who doesn't like nice things? would you rather wear a Rolex or a Casio? Yeah they both tell time and you can make the argument that the Casio keeps better time for a small fraction of the money, but you will only make that argument if you have never worn a Rolex.

We have had similar discussions on this board before, look at our church leadership and the individuals who have the free time to dedicate their lives to the Lord they share one common trait aside from being good people.....they are successful in business, almost without exception they drive nice cars, wear fancy watches, and live in nice homes. (there is always the exception).

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I have a big problem with this thought process that some people seem to have. It seems to be a sort of reverse guilt type of thing that we should have for being successful.

It's worse than that. Some people are born/adopted into more well off circumstances than you were. It's how life works. If you dislike them because of things they have no control over, that shows very poorly on you. Obviously I do not mean "you" as in Omega. 

This confirms what I have suspected for years... Abercrombie is of the devil... (joking)

Chekov: "I was making a little joke, sir."  Spock: "Extremely little, Ensign."

Edited by DoctorLemon

42 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

but you will only make that argument if you have never worn a Rolex.

While I agree with your overall position, I have to say this statement is wrong.  I've worn a Rolex.  Yes, a real one.  A very wealthy friend of mine loaned it to me for a formal dinner.  I tried to tell him no.  But he insisted.  I wore it.  I gave it back to him when it was over.  Deal was done.  I still don't get it.

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

While I agree with your overall position, I have to say this statement is wrong.  I've worn a Rolex.  Yes, a real one.  A very wealthy friend of mine loaned it to me for a formal dinner.  I tried to tell him no.  But he insisted.  I wore it.  I gave it back to him when it was over.  Deal was done.  I still don't get it.

That's ok it was just a poor example. 

Guest MormonGator

Pre 2008 many of us took consumerism to an extreme. Since then most people have toned it down a notch but there is nothing wrong with enjoying nice things. 

Edited by MormonGator