Baptism hymns?

newmember

Hi, everyone! I am an almost-member (my baptism is just over a week away- I had my interview yesterday!). I'm the polar opposite of musically inclined, but promised the missionaries teaching me that I'd pick out a hymn to be played at my baptism. I'm curious to hear about your favorites, or the hymns you'd think would be most appropriate for a baptism. Thank you!

Why not just go a favorite hymn?  Since baptism is you coming unto Christ and taking His name upon you, almost* any hymn will do.  Heck, even "Angel's we have heard on high" works because it's celebrating Christ :)

* An example of hymn which won't quite work: "God save the Queen".  

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Shockingly, the Bishop turned down my request to play the Pistols version of that song at my baptism. What a killjoy jerk. 

22 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Why not just go a favorite hymn?  Since baptism is you coming unto Christ and taking His name upon you, almost* any hymn will do.  Heck, even "Angel's we have heard on high" works because it's celebrating Christ :)

I'm not super familiar with the hymn etiquette, but that makes sense! Thank you both for the information (and the laugh)!

1 hour ago, newmember said:

Hi, everyone! I am an almost-member (my baptism is just over a week away- I had my interview yesterday!). I'm the polar opposite of musically inclined, but promised the missionaries teaching me that I'd pick out a hymn to be played at my baptism. I'm curious to hear about your favorites, or the hymns you'd think would be most appropriate for a baptism. Thank you!

Congratulations!  I'm very happy for you.  Regarding hymns, I would recommend you choose a hymn with lyrics which appeal to you.  I know it might be hard to go through them when you're not familiar, but you can listen to / read them here: https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns?lang=eng  And to the right on that page, there are links to various indexes - you might want to look through the "Topic" index to see if there's a topic which appeals to you.  There are also links to the Children's Hymnal, which has one of my favorites: Beautiful Savior.

I looked at the list under the topic of Baptism and only Come, Follow Me appealed to me.  If I went through the list and picked out my favorites, you'd have about 50 to choose from... ;) So I'll stick with my go-to favorite: How Firm a Foundation, #85 - of course, IMO, one must sing all 7 verses every time...

If you want help narrowing it down, maybe you could give us some guidance, like an idea/topic you'd like it to emphasize; whether it should be up-beat, soothing, or some other thing; short or long; celebrating, teaching doctrine, or a good, old-fashioned call to repentance (a couple of Eliza R. Snow hymns fit that description, though most have been removed from the hymnal - her hymns are often blunt, in a poetic kinda way :D ).

For my baptism I picked my favorite hymn - Spirit of God - for my opening song.  My sister-in-law and her friend sang a duet of I Am A Child of God while I was getting changed.  Then we sang How Great Thou Art for closing.  All songs are from the hymnbook.

Last Sunday, we had a baptism and they picked The Fourth Article of Faith for the opening song.  Then I sang Baptism while the baptized was getting changed.  Then I Am A Child of God for closing.  All songs are from the Children's Songbook.

The song Baptism is my favorite of all favorite Baptism songs.  It has awesome lyrics and awesomely sweet tune.  Love love love it.

18 hours ago, zil said:

Congratulations!  I'm very happy for you.  Regarding hymns, I would recommend you choose a hymn with lyrics which appeal to you.  I know it might be hard to go through them when you're not familiar, but you can listen to / read them here: https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns?lang=eng  And to the right on that page, there are links to various indexes - you might want to look through the "Topic" index to see if there's a topic which appeals to you.  There are also links to the Children's Hymnal, which has one of my favorites: Beautiful Savior.

I looked at the list under the topic of Baptism and only Come, Follow Me appealed to me.  If I went through the list and picked out my favorites, you'd have about 50 to choose from... ;) So I'll stick with my go-to favorite: How Firm a Foundation, #85 - of course, IMO, one must sing all 7 verses every time...

If you want help narrowing it down, maybe you could give us some guidance, like an idea/topic you'd like it to emphasize; whether it should be up-beat, soothing, or some other thing; short or long; celebrating, teaching doctrine, or a good, old-fashioned call to repentance (a couple of Eliza R. Snow hymns fit that description, though most have been removed from the hymnal - her hymns are often blunt, in a poetic kinda way :D ).

Thank you, this was so helpful! I have been going through the hymn list over the past few days but had no idea one could search by topic! I think I'm leaning toward "I Know That My Redeemer Lives". Thank you all for your great thoughts!

1 hour ago, newmember said:

Thank you, this was so helpful! I have been going through the hymn list over the past few days but had no idea one could search by topic! I think I'm leaning toward "I Know That My Redeemer Lives". Thank you all for your great thoughts!

Fabulous hymn - one of my favorites! :)

On 9/29/2016 at 8:14 PM, MormonGator said:

Shockingly, the Bishop turned down my request to play the Pistols version of that song at my baptism. What a killjoy jerk. 

Dude - I was just thinking today of my dream of having 'I did it my way' by Sid Vicious at my funeral.  Right before, 'Come, Come Ye Saints,' one of my favs.  Do you think there's a chance the bishop would say yes?

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, dahlia said:

Dude - I was just thinking today of my dream of having 'I did it my way' by Sid Vicious at my funeral.  Right before, 'Come, Come Ye Saints,' one of my favs.  Do you think there's a chance the bishop would say yes?

lol. I'll have a private ceremony for my funeral and I want that song and "Close my Eyes Forever" by Ozzy and Lita Ford 

On 10/7/2016 at 8:07 PM, dahlia said:

Concerns like this is why I intend to have my funeral while I'm still living.

Have you ever done one of those "Your Life according to Your Music" things where you put your music on shuffle and use whatever songs come up to answer a question or describe a life event? Well, once when I played, one of the questions was "What will they play at your funeral?"

Answer: The Point of No Return from Phantom of the Opera

19 hours ago, SilentOne said:

Have you ever done one of those "Your Life according to Your Music" things where you put your music on shuffle and use whatever songs come up to answer a question or describe a life event? Well, once when I played, one of the questions was "What will they play at your funeral?"

Answer: The Point of No Return from Phantom of the Opera

This so amused me that I made my own question and then shuffled...

My question was:  What should I have for lunch?

The song was:  Zombie (Cranberries)

I almost fell out of my chair laughing...

1 hour ago, pam said:

Come on you guys.  Here is a non member asking for help and the thread has been hi-jacked with nonsense.  Let's help the person out.

Well, if I was doing it again...and if I thought there was a pianist in the ward who could do it like this, this really would be my first choice.