'Book of Mormon' musical and co-worker

dahlia

Have any of you seen this? A co-worker told me she saw it over the weekend and then I think she realized who she was talking to and didn't say more about it.

I don't plan to ask about it, but I'm wondering, if any of you have seen it, what do you think people think of Mormons after seeing it? Does it show us as being really crazy? Is it like watching an Oliver Stone movie - the uninitiated can't tell what is real and what is artistic license (or 'lying about history' as I like to call it)? 

I've seen the musical. I loved it - it was entertaining, clever and funny. My favorite parts were the group song and dance numbers. It would be hard for me to speculate how a Mormon would react to it, since I don't think all Mormons would react the same way. The only way you'd know the story is if you saw it.

M.

1 hour ago, dahlia said:

Have any of you seen this? A co-worker told me she saw it over the weekend and then I think she realized who she was talking to and didn't say more about it.

I don't plan to ask about it, but I'm wondering, if any of you have seen it, what do you think people think of Mormons after seeing it? Does it show us as being really crazy? Is it like watching an Oliver Stone movie - the uninitiated can't tell what is real and what is artistic license (or 'lying about history' as I like to call it)? 

Read effectively the Sparknotes on it.

It's crude, vile, and makes jokes specifically mocking the LDS faith.  It's made by the same folks who made South Park, to address your artistic license question.  Yes, as Maureen said it's also been described as clever and hilarious.  Yes, it really does show LDS has been crazy and diluted, but kind of charming in a way.  

Now, am I going to get up in arms about it?  Nope.  I accept that other people like forms of entertainment that I couldn't be paid to partake in. It's their choice.

I've listened to a few songs from it, and know the general plot, and know of some of the more crass aspects.  I think the worst thing they say about doctrine is that we get our own planet, and Native Americans are Jews. At least the song about LDS beliefs does start with a belief in Jesus Christ, which is a nice surprise. But nothing particularly offensive (at least not more than the usual stuff).  The biggest issue I have is the vulgarity.   Lots of f-bombs and inappropriate sexual content.   I think if they had just done the same story in a PG way, it would have been fairly well received by Mormons.  But they tend to stoop to low brow humor which simply is not church appropriate.  Even Vid Angel would have a hard time making it watchable.

Edited by bytebear

It's what I would call a Rated-R play.  Miss Saigon is another one that I would call a Rated-R play but it's not as bad as Book of Mormon.

As far as concept goes... it's satirical with a dose of seriousness.  Where it is satirical we see the regular jokes when Mormons are the butts of it.  You know, like when we make jokes about blondes.  Where it is serious, it actually touches on deep spirituality putting Mormons on a good light in a secular setting.

So, after getting over the R rating, you'll have to get over the roasting so you can get to the meat of the play.  It's effect depends on one's ability to recognize the satire from the serious.

Edited by anatess2

I'm a big fan of South Park, and language doesn't bother me, unless they have the Elders using it, then I'd probably be bothered.

I just wondered if the co-worker, after seeing it, would think I am weird for being Mormon, as opposed to being weird for being me.

I guess I have to keep in mind that according to Matt and Trey, only Mormons go to heaven. So we've got that going for us...

'Mormons' is the correct answer.

Guest MormonGator
14 minutes ago, dahlia said:

I'm a big fan of South Park, and language doesn't bother me, unless they have the Elders using it, then I'd probably be bothered.

I just wondered if the co-worker, after seeing it, would think I am weird for being Mormon, as opposed to being weird for being me.

I guess I have to keep in mind that according to Matt and Trey, only Mormons go to heaven. So we've got that going for us...

'Mormons' is the correct answer.

South Park is hit or miss with me. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's just gross. 

I like the musical a great deal. Very funny. 

5 hours ago, MormonGator said:

South Park is hit or miss with me. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's just gross. 

I like the musical a great deal. Very funny. 

I'm not really a South Park fan but the one episode I really like is called "Royal Pudding". It's about tooth decay and a Canadian Royal Wedding, "as is tradition". ?

M.

Edited by Maureen

On 10/17/2016 at 9:44 PM, dahlia said:

I don't plan to ask about it,

I haven't and don't plan on it. No interest in sending my money to a group who openly mocks us. If they are going to mock, that is their choice, but I'm not actually going to pay them to do it. <_< There is nothing they can say that I already haven't heard and couldn't hear for free else where. I enjoy the following from 2 Nephi 9:51

"Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy." 

I have enjoyed seeing the Church take out ads inside of the playbill at various locations to offer others a different perspective to the play. Perhaps your friend saw one of these in her playbill and if it gets brought up again you could use it as a lead in to a better discussion?
PhotoGrid_1434934346261.jpg

Edited by NeedleinA

So, the BoM musical is playing at the new campus theater (the old one was flood ravaged in 2008. Can you believe it has taken them until this year to finish a new theater? Anyway...) 

Today there was a big university-wide email from the LDS student group (didn't know we had one)

" You've seen the musical, now you can read the book! " They offered to take people to church on Sunday and provided 2 links to learn about the Church and get their own BoM. Very upbeat and happy (well, they're Mormon, what else would they be?)  It was good to see. 

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, dahlia said:

" You've seen the musical, now you can read the book! " They offered to take people to church on Sunday and provided 2 links to learn about the Church and get their own BoM. Very upbeat and happy (well, they're Mormon, what else would they be?)  It was good to see. 

I think an actor who played in the OBC has actually converted 

13 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I think an actor who played in the OBC has actually converted 

Not an OBC member but a viewer convert of the BOM musical story that I found interesting: 

"From 'Book of Mormon' musical to Mormon convert"

While her story is nice to read and glad it worked out for her, it is interesting to note her original reaction about Mormons from watching the musical:
"“I laughed hysterically the entire show,” Morong said. “I thought, ‘Wow, these people are crazy. They must be brainwashed.’”

So for the select few people who leave and become converts, I wonder how many others leave "only" thinking we are brainwashed Fruitloops??

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Not an OBC member but a viewer convert of the BOM musical story that I found interesting: 

"From 'Book of Mormon' musical to Mormon convert"

While her story is nice to read and glad it worked out for her, it is interesting to note her original reaction about Mormons from watching the musical:
"“I laughed hysterically the entire show,” Morong said. “I thought, ‘Wow, these people are crazy. They must be brainwashed.’”

So for the select few people who leave and become converts, I wonder how many others leave "only" thinking we are brainwashed Fruitloops??

I have noticed that lifelong members usually know what the public thinks of them. I know I've said it before but the dichotomy between what the public thinks LDS are and what LDS actually are is huge, absolutely huge. Almost no one is more truly compassionate and tolerant than lifelong LDS. Thought that when I joined the church, still think it now.  

• 2 weeks later...
On October 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM, dahlia said:

I prefer not to watch something that has the phrase "F* you G*d" in it. It doesnt have any history in it beyond having references to the book of mormon and joseph smith and the xhurches missionary effort. It tends to portray mormons as an optimistic if naive group. It doesnt put the church in a bad light, at least compared to the grand majority of references you come across in entertainment.

It was created by the folks who brought southpark to the world. For what its worth.