Sunday21

Hey Hommies! Whatzzup with Zil's avatar? There's a bunch of trees and a pile of stuff in front of it. Now I see no clear tubes extruding from the trees so he is not tapping sap for maple syrup so what gives? Quite a relief that he is not into the shady maple syrup business. This biz has been infiltrated by the mob in the great white north. Also, we have a maple syrup marketing board which buys up all the syrup and hoards it to drive up the price, well a bunch of cutthroats broke into the storage unit and replaced the barrels of syrup with barrels of water,. Took people a long time to notice the switch! Reminds me of my mother's liquor cabinet. I had an exBIL who would drink the whiskey and replace it with tea. As my family rarely ever drinks, we did not notice but we suspect that we actually served this tea to guest for years before anyone had the heart to tell us. Sometimes the local culture can be too polite! 

The number of times people I know have gotten into trouble because they are too polite to say something. Me actually! For years, my us colleagues would ask me about moving to Canada and I would say, 'you would be most welcome' and the trump was elected and ... oh dear! 

We have some interesting corruption issues here. In Montreal the construction industry is riddled with government corruption and we just had some hysterical trials and firings because of it. One case where the cops came to call and completely failed to notice the bags of cash sitting around because all $$$$ would not fit in the safe. Officials during the trial reported saying that they felt it would have been rude to say no to the bribes. Yeah just too polite. That's our problem!

i was watching a video on Canada and it was saying, that one of the great things about the country is the lack of corruption! The shot they showed was downtown Montreal, ground zero for generations of the most blatant system of government corruption in the country!

:lol:

Zil is a she.

The "trees" are 'shroom-houses.  In front of them are stone walkways.  Some of them have multiple "branches" (though those are mostly off-screen) - for the rich folk who can afford it, you know.  Don't think you're getting sap from a 'shroom.  No mob in Shroomville.  No corruption either.  The construction industry is about as natural as you can get.  So it's mildly disturbing that my drawing makes you think of Canadian corruption...

Meanwhile, apparently it's a good thing I make my own maple syrup (with imitation flavoring, cuz the real stuff is too expensive, and apparently supports the mob).

16 hours ago, zil said:

Meanwhile, apparently it's a good thing I make my own maple syrup (with imitation flavoring, cuz the real stuff is too expensive, and apparently supports the mob).

Oh, that's not good. I think I may refuse to believe you. In our house, we don't gossip about our neighbors or family or friends. We make a concerted effort not to talk badly about groups of people. But we draw the line at fake maple syrup -- that's a sure point of razzing in the Vort household. We don't use much syrup, but when we do use syrup, it's real, authentic maple syrup. We keep something like Mrs. Butterworth's around to offer to the unwashed guest who requests such tripe, but we serve it with a healthy amount of heckling about the lameness of their syrup choice.

Now you tell me it profits the mob -- no, that's just too much. I shall refuse to believe it. And if you continue, I may be forced to put my fingers in my ears and chant "NYAH NYAH NYAH I CAN'T HEEEEEEEEAR YOUUUUUUU!"

@VortMob and maple syrup, well the mob is involved but so is the government so ...we have a maple syrup marketing board, the government, buys up all the syrup to raise the price. The mob illegally buys from small producers and sells. YOUR maple syrup is probably sold through the marketing board so tainted by government interference in the market place and not the mob. Feel better?

Edited by Sunday21

7 hours ago, Vort said:

Oh, that's not good. I think I may refuse to believe you. In our house, we don't gossip about our neighbors or family or friends. We make a concerted effort not to talk badly about groups of people. But we draw the line at fake maple syrup -- that's a sure point of razzing in the Vort household. We don't use much syrup, but when we do use syrup, it's real, authentic maple syrup. We keep something like Mrs. Butterworth's around to offer to the unwashed guest who requests such tripe, but we serve it with a healthy amount of heckling about the lameness of their syrup choice.

Now you tell me it profits the mob -- no, that's just too much. I shall refuse to believe it. And if you continue, I may be forced to put my fingers in my ears and chant "NYAH NYAH NYAH I CAN'T HEEEEEEEEAR YOUUUUUUU!"

My husband (presumably not long after we were married) once bought a big thing of syrup like that.  Trust me, he learned better fast.  It took like 10 years for that syrup to get used.  I make syrup with 2 cups of sugar, one cup of water, and some amount of McCormick maple flavoring (other brands will not do).  This is what I grew up with, so you could blame my mom, but I think that would be unhealthy for you.

I also make waffles and pancakes from scratch - no store-bought mixes.  (Again, mom's fault.)  Interesting story, though...I figured mom had always made them this way - I remember nothing else.  When I was a teenager, we had a sleep-over in a distant city for some church thing, and the woman whose house it was made us Bisquick pancakes with store-bought syrup.  I took one bite and it was all I could do not to spit it back out - I truly thought I was going to be sick right there (everyone else loved it).  One day I mentioned this to my mom and she said, "Actually, one Sunday your dad wanted pancakes for breakfast and I was out of Bisquick, so I got out the recipe book and made them from scratch.  None of you would let me go back to Bisquick.) :wub: Never let it be said mothers don't sacrifice for their families.

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

@VortMob and maple syrup, well the mob is involved but so is the government so ...we have a maple syrup marketing board, the government, buys up all the syrup to raise the price. The mob illegally buys from small producers and sells. YOUR maple syrup is probably sold through the marketing board so tainted by government interference in the market place and not the mob. Feel better?

Sigh.  What's a poor person to do with their waffles, pancakes, and french toast?  Of course, in this case, I think I might want to side with the mob (were it not for all the nasty other stuff they do) since it sounds like your government are running a racket.

45 minutes ago, zil said:

What's with all you weirdos who eat waffles, pancakes, and french toast for breakfast?  Those are dinner foods.

One Saturday night, my dad was left to cook.dinner. He only knew how to cook breakfast food. So he scrambles eggs, made pancakes, so on and so forth.

It became a Saturday dinner tradition for the better part of a decade.