What Is The Differance Between A Gift And A Talent?

MichaelH

A talent is a characteristic that harmonizes with all of our senses and physical abilities. Potential which is sometimes mistaken for talent is the possibility to achieve.

Gifts are accomplished through unselfish service. Just because someone made you do something and it uplifted you, does not make it a gift.

Gifts are large and small contributions to mankind. Most of our gifts will be acts of kindness from the heart.

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is composed of very talented people and I receive it as a gift.

I use lds.org alot. Here is just a tidbit of what I found about each of them.

If someone asked what talents we have, how would we answer? Some of us might think we have no talents. We may not be creative in artistic areas like singing, dancing, or writing. But we may have abilities we do not recognize as talents. We may have special skills in organizing, making friends, bringing peace, teaching others, or caring for children.

Spiritual gifts are blessings or abilities given by God to His children through the power of the Holy Ghost. Gifts of the Spirit are given to bless and benefit those who love the Lord and seek to keep His commandments. (See D&C 46:9.)

I have a theory....

Those that exhibit spiritual gifts plentifully and often, have paid a heavy price to know the Lord.

They show up every once in a while for most, but to have them plentifully, it is indeed a heavy price. (something i am trying to improve in myself)

I have concerns about "gifts of the spirit";

-Many think "gifts of the spirit" are the same as talents. (like was clarified above) They are not.

-Many think that "gifts of the spirit" are not as common because we have advances in medicine, etc, and they are not needed. No... if they are not common in our lives, as the scriptures say, it is because of unbelief.

-Satan has counterfeits. They are plentiful. If a person is using their gift to look good, gain notoriety, or make money, or get any other kind of gain, they run the risk of being deceived, and hurting others with their "gifts".

-BTW speaking with the tongue of angels does not have to mean speaking in a diverse language, it can simply mean, that the person is speaking as an angel would, by direct revelation.

-BTW speaking with the tongue of angels does not have to mean speaking in a diverse language, it can simply mean, that the person is speaking as an angel would, by direct revelation.

While I'm all for angelic behavior and speech, the gift of tongues must needs be accompanied by the gift of interpretation--so I'm not sure angel-like speech is a possible interpretation. Such might be covered under the gift of knowledge or the gift of wisdom, though. :sparklygrin:

I believe that "gift" and "talent" are spiritual representations and expressions of the same and similar things. They are abilities that are spiritually expressed. I believe it is a mistake to attempt to tie such things to physical understandings - you will only go in circles and confuse yourself or end up on some tangent that will lead you away from spiritual insights and awareness’s.

The Traveler

While I'm all for angelic behavior and speech, the gift of tongues must needs be accompanied by the gift of interpretation--so I'm not sure angel-like speech is a possible interpretation. Such might be covered under the gift of knowledge or the gift of wisdom, though. :sparklygrin:

Although, like A-train said, they are two different things, both need to be interpreted (so to speak) with the help of God. Otherwise, it would not be understood correctly. Any time a prophet speaks by revelation, it needs to be understood, and interpreted by that same spirit, or it fosters confusion. Sure knowledge, and wisdom is needed, but revelation can only be understood by someone who is aquainted with the language of the spirit.

PC,

The 'tongue of angels' tiancum is referring to is that referred to in 2 Nephi 32. This is something entirely different from the gift of tongues and the interpretation thereof mentioned in the New Testament.

Just clarifying.

-a-train

Thanks. I thought this was the reference: 1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not acharity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 1 Corinthians 13:1