Doves, Pigeons and Bumble Bees

Jamie123

Whenever I sit down to do some work, I always become curious about questions like "Are pigeons and doves the same kind of bird?" and "Do bumble bees make honey?" And the more urgent the work is, the greater the compulsion I feel to research these questions then and there.

Well these are my findings:

1. Doves and pigeons are the same family (columbidae) but are distinct groups within that family.

2. Bumble bees do produce a kind of honey, but only in small quantities since their colonies do not survive the winter - except for the new queen who hibernates and forms a new colony new colony the following spring. (The old queen dies along with the workers.)

But here are the amazing and unlooked-for facts uncovered during this research...

1. Pigeons (and doves), unlike other birds produce milk. Yes folks - it is possible to milk a pigeon!

2. There is such a thing as a "cuckoo bumble bee". It infiltrates the nest of another bumble bee species, kills the queen, and then masquerades as her by imitating her scent. It then lays its own eggs which are cared for by the workers.

Aren't you glad I told you all this?

3 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Yes folks - it is possible to milk a pigeon!

That is a gross simplification.  I don't know anyone who isn't trying to sensationalize it that would call it "milking a pigeon".

Here's the full story: Most birds have a craw / crop where the food is crushed in most and then regurgitated to feed their young.  Doves/pigeons as well as emperor penguins and flamingos excrete additional nutrients into the crop.  This excretion is called "crop milk".  This additive to the regurgitation product increases nutrient, immunity, and pro-biotic strength in the young.  But the ability to "milk it" is extremely limited.  It tends to come out in a consistency similar to cottage cheese or watery ricotta cheese.  And you'd have to reach inside its esophagus. EW!

It's bad enough that we're drinking the lacteal fluid of other mammalian species.  But to think we'd be drinking extract of bird regurgitation is something quite different.

Edited by Guest

Just now, Carborendum said:

Milk Nazi!!!

Hey!  You're the one who said it was bad, so unless you're having ice cream based on human milk (and if you are, please just don't respond at all!), you condemned yourself to this.  I think it's perfectly fine for us to be eating ice cream based on cow milk.

19 minutes ago, zil said:

No more ice cream for you!

Ice cream is my favorite desert in the world!  Interestingly though, some ice cream has a very interesting ingredient known as castoreum, which is extracted from beavers (from an unpleasant area).  Some people might rather eat pigeon 'milk'.   Don't tell too many people, or they may all stop eating ice cream! I will keep eating my ice cream though, come what may.  The Word of Wisdom says nothing about beaver extract! :D

Edited by person0

5 minutes ago, person0 said:

Ice cream is my favorite desert in the world!  Interestingly though, some ice cream has a very interesting ingredient known as castoreum, which is extracted from beavers (from an unpleasant area).  Some people might rather eat pigeon 'milk'.  I will keep eating my ice cream, come what may. :D

Blech.  Haagen Dazs all the way!  You can keep your icky ingredients.

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Are you one of these guys Jamie123?

First guy who ever shaved? There's an interesting one. Did everyone above a certain age run around tripping over their beards before he came along?

Turning into an ant. Actually no - at least not a regular-sized ant. But I did once have a vague worry about waking up as a giant cockroach, like Gregor Samsa.

Edited by Jamie123

8 minutes ago, zil said:

Bryers Homemade vanilla ingredients:

Haagen Dazs vanilla ingredients:

I rest my case.

I was going to correct myself (Natural Vanilla vs. Homemade).  To be sure, I looked up the Natural Vanilla ingredients

MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, TARA GUM, VANILLA BEANS, NATURAL FLAVOR, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR. 

Yeah, that's ok.

At least it's REAL milk instead of that skim stuff.  And egg yolks are NOT for ice cream.  I don't know who thought that up.  Egg yolks are NOT for dessert. :P

Edited by Guest

Better, but...

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

At least it's REAL milk instead of that skim stuff.  And egg yolks are NOT for ice cream.  I don't know who thought that up.  Egg yolks are NOT for dessert

You do know that skim milk + cream = milk, right?  As for "not for dessert", I refer you to "tara gum".  Yum?

38 minutes ago, zil said:

Better, but...

You do know that skim milk + cream = milk, right?  As for "not for dessert", I refer you to "tara gum".  Yum?

Hey, tara gum is also known as Peruvian Carob. Good stuff.

And skim milk + cream =/= milk.  It's like saying rehydrated food that has been dehydrated is the same as the original food.  NYET!!  I can smell the skim milk no matter how much cream you put back into it.  That's why I don't like Blue Bell.  And you're saying Haagen daz has the same stuff.  YUCK!!!

Edited by Guest

IngredientsList.png

It only has 5% Alanine?  How good can it be?  If I didn't know better, I'd say this is like some kind of animal protein or fatty protein.

Or, rather, I don't know it isn't, do I?

Wait.  Is this eggs and milk?

Edited by Guest