Why Do You Watch?

On 6/13/2017 at 9:42 PM, Blackmarch said:

I love scott manly. I would really recommend curious droid and isaac arthur. Love their stuff. For those who dont know thats sciency stuff (usualky space related)... Altho scott manly also does a bunch with various games that feature some sort of space simulation aspect (mostly kerbal space program).

On a side note you should check out the largest online virtual war, which occurred in Eve, literally it involved thousands of players over a month, with engagements that had upwards of 4 thousand players battling simultaneously (just the scope of it and that the games server network was able to handle it, barely, is incredible)... It had politics, intrigue, conquering and losing territory etc... In fact there is a movement to get it literized as a novel. I think curious droid covered this, scott manly might have something on it as well.

THE FOUNTAIN WAR!  LOL!  My son was in that war.  I know, I know... he maxed out his video game time 100 times over, but I can see the political intrigue in it that caught his spirit, so I didn't lay down the law as hard.  He was in the losing side, I think.  Test Alliance or something?  Anyway, I think they were about to get crushed trying to capture planet J-something which is some control station or whatever to Fountain... okay, I'm really mangling up these names... when the Eve server went down.  That's when I put my foot down on the video game time which was good timing because the leader of Test Alliance told everybody not to go online when the server goes back up so that the... CFC?  CRC?... can't fire on their ships.  Anyway, CFC accused Eve developers of bringing down the system to prolong the war or something.  The Test guys said, dude... didn't you see how many people were on Eve all at the same time?  Of course the server goes down! 

Anyway, the book got cancelled for some reason.  But there's other books, not directly a recount of the war, but talking about parts of it, I think.  My son has some Eve books but they're fiction on the Eve universe, not a literal account of a "real" occurrence.

I've been spending a lot of time watching The Rubin Report on youtube.  Rubin has had some very, very, very interesting people on there.  His interview with Ayaan Hirsi Ali (I love her), Tommy Robinson, and Larry Elder are, so far, my favorites.  Each interview is about an hour or so long which is the length of one TV show.  I love Rubin more than Larry King, believe it or not.  And Larry King was my TV show growing up.

I watch Rubin because it gives me personal insights to every side of every spectrum so I can understand what they're trying to say in their own words and not through some narrative.  Joe Rogan Experience is another one that is the same format as Rubin Report but it is a lot less informal and too trash-talky that I can't really sit down and watch it regularly - I only watch clips of Joe's interviews.

Edited by anatess2

6 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

THE FOUNTAIN WAR!  LOL!  My son was in that war.  I know, I know... he maxed out his video game time 100 times over, but I can see the political intrigue in it that caught his spirit, so I didn't lay down the law as hard.  He was in the losing side, I think.  Test Alliance or something?  Anyway, I think they were about to get crushed trying to capture planet J-something which is some control station or whatever to Fountain... okay, I'm really mangling up these names... when the Eve server went down.  That's when I put my foot down on the video game time which was good timing because the leader of Test Alliance told everybody not to go online when the server goes back up so that the... CFC?  CRC?... can't fire on their ships.  Anyway, CFC accused Eve developers of bringing down the system to prolong the war or something.  The Test guys said, dude... didn't you see how many people were on Eve all at the same time?  Of course the server goes down! 

Anyway, the book got cancelled for some reason.  But there's other books, not directly a recount of the war, but talking about parts of it, I think.  My son has some Eve books but they're fiction on the Eve universe, not a literal account of a "real" occurrence.

thats a really good recall XD.  Yep the two major opposing forces were test alliance and cfc in the fountain sector or region. ya when i first heard about it from mannley i was extremely impressed that they were able to host that many players in the same instance (or mesh multiple instances so that all the players could directly interact with all the others)

Bummer to hear about the book getting cancelled.... The events, economy, and social environment souded much more interesting than most tv soaps 

2 minutes ago, Blackmarch said:

thats a really good recall XD.  Yep the two major opposing forces were test alliance and cfc in the fountain sector or region. ya when i first heard about it from mannley i was extremely impressed that they were able to host that many players in the same instance (or mesh multiple instances so that all the players could directly interact with all the others)

Bummer to hear about the book getting cancelled.... The events, economy, and social environment souded much more interesting than most tv soaps 

Yeah, I didn't know when my son was playing it that it was such a giant war.  I don't even think my son knew.  Or maybe he did.   I thought they were just trying to get kickstarters or some currency in planet J-something.  My son showed me snippets of Mannley's recount of the entire thing and that's when I realized, oh wow, that was some crazy stuff!  I didn't watch the whole video because... it was soooooo long!

On 6/10/2017 at 5:56 AM, Fether said:

I just finished 'Green Arrow' which I love

You mean Arrow? The one that regularly crosses over with The Flash?

On 6/9/2017 at 3:11 PM, NeuroTypical said:

I lost interest but kept watching as it was a family thing.  Season 5 brought a brief uncomfortable silence into our house when Red and Dorothy shared true love's kiss.  We stopped watching shortly after.  

On 6/10/2017 at 8:12 AM, Backroads said:

Regarding Once, I changed my avatar over there on the left recently because I lost interest like over a year ago and felt weird having a character up when I had no idea what was going on.Well, the first few seasons were fun.

I can't remember when I stopped really caring about the characters and story. The Red and Dorothy kiss annoyed me and made me uncomfortable. But what really got me mad at the writers was when they had Rumple get completely pure of heart - and we know it worked because he was able to remove the sword from the stone or something like that - and then about two episodes later he became the Dark One again through a plan that would have taken some time to arrange.

Um, no. You do not go from being completely pure of heart to scheming to become the Dark One, knowing full well what that means, in a matter of a couple days or weeks.

And to answer the question in the title, I think I mainly watch because I like the characters, though some shows I watch to keep up with what is going on elsewhere in the multiverse (I watch all of Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl because I don't want to miss out on anything that's going on, even though I don't think I ever really liked Arrow). It's actually driving me crazy a bit because I've been madly binging on four shows to get up to date on what happened during the last season, and I don't really want to be binge watching right now, but I feel sort of compelled to get it finished ASAP.

Other stuff I watch or have watched because that's what my family or friends are doing and I want to spend time with them, or to be able to discuss the show when in comes up in conversation, or so I can recognize and understand the pop cultural references. And I watched Remington Steele during a particularly bad time because the silliness made me smile and there wasn't much that did then.

Edited by SilentOne

12 hours ago, anatess2 said:

"Are you Chinese or Japanese?"

"I'm Laotian.  From Laos."

"Is that Chinese or Japanese?"

Tell me that's never happened to you.  I had it happen a LOT as a kid.  But as MASH became more popular, it happened less and less.

31 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Tell me that's never happened to you.  I had it happen a LOT as a kid.  But as MASH became more popular, it happened less and less.

I get called Vietnamese or Hispanic.  I was working at this family-owned grocery store in Ohio and there was this old guy who wears an Army hat and Army jacket who is always the first guy in the store in the morning buying his daily newspaper and coffee.  I was always assigned opening hours and is the only cashier until 10.  But that guy refused to go through my cash register.  He says he doesn't want to be served by Vietnamese.  So the store owner comes to my cash register and rings his stuff every single day.  I also get mistaken for one of the nail salon people instead of a customer.  Hah hah.

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I get called Vietnamese or Hispanic.  I was working at this family-owned grocery store in Ohio and there was this old guy who wears an Army hat and Army jacket who is always the first guy in the store in the morning buying his daily newspaper and coffee.  I was always assigned opening hours and is the only cashier until 10.  But that guy refused to go through my cash register.  He says he doesn't want to be served by Vietnamese.  So the store owner comes to my cash register and rings his stuff every single day.  I also get mistaken for one of the nail salon people instead of a customer.  Hah hah.

Yep.  Your mention of "Vietnamese or Hispanic" reminds me that when I was first speaking Spanish on my mission, I spoke it with a French accent (I had been fluent in French before my mission).  So, some more educated Spanish speakers thought I must be Vietnamese because of the French influence in the region.

Later, as I got more proficient in Spanish, I had a pretty good accent.  But it was still a bit off.  At that point people thought I was Filipino.  An El Salvadoran companion told me that it was because my accent wasn't English/American.  It sounded weird.  He said he thought it must be a Korean accent, but he couldn't be sure because he'd never heard a Korean accent before.  But it had to be.  It sounded Asian.

Very interesting that muscle memory can last that long without use.

14 hours ago, anatess2 said:

"Are you Chinese or Japanese?"

"I'm Laotian.  From Laos."

"Is that Chinese or Japanese?"

Heh - and then Col. Cotton Hill, Hank's dad, was in one of those scenes.  Hank mentions Chinese and Japanese, Cotton takes a close look at the neighbor and says "Nope, he's Laotian.  [squinting closely] Aren't 'cha, Mr. Khan...."

Perfect portrayal of the all-too common stuff we saw from so many of the WWII generation.

Edited by NeuroTypical

On 6/15/2017 at 11:26 PM, SilentOne said:

And to answer the question in the title, I think I mainly watch because I like the characters, though some shows I watch to keep up with what is going on elsewhere in the multiverse (I watch all of Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl because I don't want to miss out on anything that's going on, even though I don't think I ever really liked Arrow). It's actually driving me crazy a bit because I've been madly binging on four shows to get up to date on what happened during the last season, and I don't really want to be binge watching right now, but I feel sort of compelled to get it finished ASAP.

I finally got all caught up and now feel more that my time is my own.

• 2 years later...
On 6/9/2017 at 1:12 PM, Vort said:

I have taken to watching some YouTube people. I'm a big fan of Grant Thompson ("King of Random"), despite -- or maybe because of -- his hokie "experiments" and casual disregard for any but the most obvious elements of safety. Seriously, he's going to blow his hand off one day

Grant Thompson was killed two days ago in a paragliding accident. I only just found out about it. Makes me sad.