Temple worker got after me

mormondad

I realize some questions just don't matter, but at the same time, it is good to ask questions! Thank you Sheri Dew for reminding me of this. "The incident" was a few years ago during my first years of attending the temple. I'll keep as many specifics out as I can given the subject matter. Nowhere in the presentation does it mention the string/ribbon that hangs from the male cap. Yet everyone ties it down. Just because everyone else was doing it didn't mean I was going to. Since there was no verbal instruction, I just tucked it up under my cap. On one occasion, one delightful temple worker brother did not appreciate this and instructed me to tie it down. Is it really necessary? My theory is that it's so we don't forget to position the cap correctly and that it's more for convenience than doctrinal. Any thoughts? Was I in the wrong?

15 minutes ago, mormondad said:

I realize some questions just don't matter, but at the same time, it is good to ask questions! Thank you Sheri Dew for reminding me of this. "The incident" was a few years ago during my first years of attending the temple. I'll keep as many specifics out as I can given the subject matter. Nowhere in the presentation does it mention the string/ribbon that hangs from the male cap. Yet everyone ties it down. Just because everyone else was doing it didn't mean I was going to. Since there was no verbal instruction, I just tucked it up under my cap. On one occasion, one delightful temple worker brother did not appreciate this and instructed me to tie it down. Is it really necessary? My theory is that it's so we don't forget to position the cap correctly and that it's more for convenience than doctrinal. Any thoughts? Was I in the wrong?

I have thought that too x) I never went against the grain to avoid strange looks and being approached by Old men... cause we all know old people get cranky about things that areboutbofbplace (like taking the sacrament with your left hand).

But ya! I always rationalized that it had something to do with keeping the whole temple robe connected as one... but beyond that I can't make sense of it.

Maybe I'll do it now and when someone whispers "fix it", I'll ask "why?" And see what happens.

It's a minor thing. I don't see how it matters one way or another, but if a temple worker says to tie it down, then by all means tie it down. Perhaps it's a part of "the unwritten order of things", and in any case, the temple workers are there to see to the smooth operation of the temple, so they should be heeded unless they are obviously and blatantly wrong.

9 minutes ago, Vort said:

It's a minor thing. I don't see how it matters one way or another, but if a temple worker says to tie it down, then by all means tie it down. Perhaps it's a part of "the unwritten order of things", and in any case, the temple workers are there to see to the smooth operation of the temple, so they should be heeded unless they are obviously and blatantly wrong.

Respectfully Vort, "doesn't matter, just do what they say" is not a helpful response. I agree that it does not matter. Most of the lingering questions I have are trivial, but that doesn't mean they can't be explored. Some temple workers make you sit every other seat while others give you free reign. I'm just curious if this is another instance of that sort of discretion or something more.

51 minutes ago, mormondad said:

If I am understanding you correctly, the hat string needs to be tied to the robe, it is part of putting the temple clothes on correctly. Some hat strings now have velcro, and you don't need to tie anything, just loop and press together. Everyone ties it down because this is how we are instructed when first going through and receiving endowment. If the string means nothing, and we can put it under our cap, why have it in the first place?

In light of this, does the string need to be tied in a bow, in a knot, etc... This is the mundane that doesn't really matter.

EDIT: Temple presidencies and patrons/matrons are able to answer these questions more thoroughly in the temple and they might be able to provide further insight in the proper place.

Edited by Anddenex

7 hours ago, mormondad said:

Respectfully Vort, "doesn't matter, just do what they say" is not a helpful response.

Give yourself two or three more decades and your opinion on this will likely change.  (Yes, I know, you find that as unhelpful as @Vort's answer, and I'm perfectly OK with your finding.)

7 hours ago, mormondad said:

Most of the lingering questions I have are trivial, but that doesn't mean they can't be explored.

Vort shining a light into a corner you don't want to explore, isn't the same as not exploring.  I'm assuming you like better the corner @Anddenex lit up, and so recommend exploring that one for now.

PS: Welcome to the forums! :)

8 hours ago, mormondad said:

It also helps keep the robe from dropping off the shoulder, which is not only distracting but could create a safety issue. Such guidelines are typically adopted because they address such real problems. These guidelines may not always be doctrinally based, but common consent and united purpose keep them in place.

Edited by CV75

9 hours ago, mormondad said:

Respectfully Vort, "doesn't matter, just do what they say" is not a helpful response. 

Actually, if you take a breath for a moment, I believe you may find that it is a very helpful response.

How is this any different than Naaman?

These types of questions and even irritations come from some sense of urgency.  Where is that sense coming from?  If it truly doesn't matter, why so urgent?

Curiosity is one thing.  Desire to know is another.  But irritation?  Concern?  Have you considered that your judging the temple worker here is hypocrisy?  If it really is so trivial that he shouldn't be worrying about it, then why are you?

Now, I don't know what happened with everyone else since it wasn't part of the official ceremony.  But when I took out my endowments about 100 years ago, I was given specific instruction on how to place everything, including that piece of string.  If that's the way we do it, that's the way we do it.  I believe it really is the "unwritten order of things".  As such, unless there is some reason to object, why object?

It's usually a bad idea to ignore a fence unless you know why it was put up in the first place.  And insisting on your rights, sometimes just doesn't make sense.

A DEA officer stopped at a ranch in Texas, and talked with an old rancher.  He told the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs."

The rancher said, pointing to a fence, "Okay, but don't go in that field over there."

The DEA officer verbally exploded saying,"Mister, I have the authority of the Federal Government with me!" Reaching into his rear pants pocket, he removed his badge and proudly displayed it to the rancher. "See this badge?! This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish.... On any land! No questions asked! Do you understand?!"

The rancher nodded politely, apologized, and went about his chores. A short time later, the old rancher heard loud screams, looked up, and saw the DEA officer running for his life, being chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis bull...... With every step the bull was gaining ground on the officer, and it seemed likely that he'd sure enough get gored before he reached safety. The officer was clearly terrified. The rancher threw down his tools, ran to the fence and yelled at the top of his lungs... "Your badge, show him your BADGE!!"

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

This is something if I ever see you in the temple, we could discuss.  There is a valid and good reason for it, but it's not something I can (or at least will) discuss outside the temple.

Sorry.

OH!  Now that you mention it, it really is pretty obvious, isn't it.

I didn't know that.  Thanks.

:thumbsup: