Baptism for same sex couples?

askandanswer

2 hours ago, eddified said:

I find posts made merely to express disagreement with someone pretty unhelpful and basically, contentious. <Ahem>. I would suggest giving reasons for the disagreement, thus making the post worth reading. As it is, it's not worth reading.

I disagree.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, eddified said:

I find posts made merely to express disagreement with someone pretty unhelpful and basically, contentious. <Ahem>. I would suggest giving reasons for the disagreement, thus making the post worth reading. As it is, it's not worth reading.

The perception among some portion of the members is that food storage counsel has softened. I would say it has been clarified in such a way as to make it seem, to those not making a careful study of the teachings, as if they had been softened (that's why I used the word "supposedly" in my other comment). See:

https://askgramps.org/how-much-emergency-preparedness-is-enough/

I didn't care enough to explain to you why not.  I suspected you already knew that.  Clearly you did know this as you changed your post to:

The perception 

Who wants to be contentious now?

On 8/30/2017 at 5:29 PM, eddified said:

But, you can tell everyone "I'm an alcoholic", and still remain a valid temple recommend holder. And the ward members should still keep you in fellowship. But yes, I do acknowledge that if you are sinful, you should normally be ashamed of the sin. Wanting to shout from the rooftops that you are an alcoholic (or homosexual) indicates a problem on your part, not the church's.

I think the best way I've heard of putting it is, "no matter who you like to get jiggy with, if it's such a defining part of your personality that you feel the need to tell everyone about it in inappropriate situations, you're a pervert."

I do believe the church has always had to change it's methods to suit the audience. "Build up a year's supply of food storage" has supposedly changed to just a few months. They teach what we're willing to hear. The tone of the messages of the church says something about the audience - it doesn't indicate a waffling on eternal truths

More likely, leadership looked around at the overfilled seats during GC, and figured out that if a lot of members had to stretch ~3 months of their 4500+ calorie per day diet to last a year, they'd be a heck of a lot better off by the end of the disaster.

On 9/1/2017 at 6:16 PM, mirkwood said:

I didn't care enough to explain to you why not.  I suspected you already knew that.  Clearly you did know this as you changed your post to:

Who wants to be contentious now?

I apologize, I did come out swinging, so to speak. It was petty of me to take such issue with a simple disagreement, and I'm sorry.

That said, it really seems you misunderstood me. My original post (the one you disagreed with) was left unchanged (I never once edited it after you posted your disagreement), and in it, I said, "supposedly". In other words, there is wiggle room there. So, I could be wrong, but it sure seemed you were disagreeing with something I didn't actually say. But without you saying anything on the matter, it's pretty hard to actually tell where you stand. If you don't want to hash it out, I understand... we all usually have better things to do than argue with strangers.

For the record, I did not surreptitiously change my opinion on the matter, I merely didn't want to go into all of that when I was only using it to make a point (point was, the church's message on food storage has changed [or clarified, you might say] -- changed slightly, while many perceiving the change as being larger than it actually is - but still, the message changed a little bit). So I'm unsure what your point is by saying I edited my post. Oh well, have a good Sunday evening.

Edited by eddified