Amusing? Scriptures

zil

Possibly the first documented instance of the standard teenage answers to questions:

2 Kings 5:25 But he went in, and stood before his master. And Elisha said unto him, Whence comest thou, Gehazi? And he said, Thy servant went no whither.

Elisha: Where have you been, Gehazi? ::foot-tapping::

Gehazi: Nowhere. :itwasntme:

:lol:

(OK, the story itself isn't really funny, poor Gehazi paid a high price for his greed, but still...)

Anybody else have a favorite scripture with an amusing angle to it?  (All the usuals are assumed: Satan is a woman, there are no women in heaven, blah blah.)

30 minutes ago, zil said:

Possibly the first documented instance of the standard teenage answers to questions:

Elisha: Where have you been, Gehazi? ::foot-tapping::

Gehazi: Nowhere. :itwasntme:

:lol:

(OK, the story itself isn't really funny, poor Gehazi paid a high price for his greed, but still...)

Anybody else have a favorite scripture with an amusing angle to it?  (All the usuals are assumed: Satan is a woman, there are no women in heaven, blah blah.)

There is the good ole account when Laman and Lemuel complained about going to get the plates, but didn’t complain when they went to get wives

I tend to find it amusing that L&L murmured about everything they were told to do EXCEPT go to Ishmael's family so you can find a wife.

"Hey, Nephi, Sam, let's get a move on!  You heard father.  We don't have all day!"

21 hours ago, seashmore said:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but whenever I read Alma 29:1 "O that I were an angel," this symphonic metal song starts playing in my head. It takes great effort to read the rest of that chapter.

"I wish I had an angel for one moment of love.
I wish I had your angel; your Virgin Mary undone.
I'm in love with my lust, burning angel wings to dust.
I wish I had your angel tonight."

There's just something about Scandanavian metal...

Edited by Vort

Ezekiel 4:12; the reason I don't go to the Bible for cooking advice.

II Kings 2:23-24; really?  Mass death penalty for making fun of a bald guy?

Proverbs 31:6-7; anguish and a hangover is not better than anguish alone.

John 21:25; I'm bored with this, so you'll just have to do without the rest of the story.

Edited by NightSG

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Zechariah 5:1–world’s first recorded food fight.  

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/ot/zech/5?lang=eng

:crackup:

1 hour ago, NightSG said:

Ezekiel 4:12; the reason I don't go to the Bible for cooking advice.

II Kings 2:23-24; really?  Mass death penalty for making fun of a bald guy?

Proverbs 31:6-7; anguish and a hangover is not better than anguish alone.

John 21:25; I'm bored with this, so you'll just have to do without the rest of the story.

Nope, sorry, not amusing.

22 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Ehud in Judges 3. The left-handed assassin abandons his dagger when it gets stuck in the fatty folds of his target.

I'm pretty sure this is why Luke didn't attack Jabba with a light saber.

One of the most graphically violent scriptural stories, definitely R-rated. Also proof that morbid obesity is not solely a modern problem.

4 minutes ago, zil said:

One can start reading here, if so inclined: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/ot/judg/3.16?lang=eng#p15

Just reread @zil's link, and it occurs to me that this is a great example of what the euphemism "to cover one's feet" means. We normally encounter this euphemism when talking about David being hunted by King Saul. When Saul went into a cave to "cover his feet", David cut off part of his robe to show he could have killed Saul. Various Biblical commentators have said that Saul went into the cave to take a nap; "cover one's feet" was said to be the practice of those sleeping. I'm pretty sure this is bogus -- and not merely because I, who don't live in a hot desert area, insist that my feet be uncovered or I can't sleep. "To cover one's feet" means to relieve oneself through defecation. This euphemism came about because the robes one wore typically came no closer to the ground than six inches, to keep from soiling and destroying the material of the hem. But if one squatted down -- as, say, to relieve oneself -- one's feet would be covered by the robe.

The Ehud account specifies that when Eglon (the morbidly obese king) was killed, "the dirt came out" (v. 22). This would have provided the, um, aroma of defecation, adding to the idea that the king was "covering his feet". Anyway, I'm no authority on ancient euphemisms, so I might be wrong. But I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong in this case.