Fountain pen frenzy thread

NeuroTypical

10 hours ago, Vort said:

Mormon_Hub.jpg

Meanwhile, there actually is an artist who did just this - drew the lines (and another I know who imitated it -- searching....).

Original artwork (graph paper): http://www.guggenheim-venice.it/inglese/collections/artisti/dettagli/pop_up_opera2.php?id_opera=668&page=

Artist's (Tas) homage to above (lined paper): http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/327764-week-39-24-sep-undiluted-love-2017-weekly-ink-project/#entry3924423

(I have one of Tas's sketches - he was kind enough to offer it to me and I couldn't say no.  Not this one though - which is good, cuz I'd have been tempted to write on it. :eek: )

37 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Wow - Vort does his "f"s wrong.  Everyone knows a cursive f has two loops - one at the top, and one at the bottom.  Vort's acupuncture-needle-like top part of his f, speaks to his passive-aggressive nature as a closet social justice warrior.

What did you expect?  The guy lives in Seattle!

53 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Wow - Vort does his "f"s wrong.  Everyone knows a cursive f has two loops - one at the top, and one at the bottom.  Vort's acupuncture-needle-like top part of his f, speaks to his passive-aggressive nature as a closet social justice warrior.

Why, whatever do you mean?

Mormon_Hub2.jpg

I am thoroughly confused by your accusations against my innocent self.

Halldora.png

48 minutes ago, Vort said:

Why, whatever do you mean?

I am thoroughly confused by your accusations against my innocent self.

It's the "starting f".  Basically, it means you think everyone starts out as a failure, and only through benevolent government intervention can people ever be empowered to reach equality and succeed.  

I am an expert handwriting analisyzer.  You can trust me, I'm on the internet. 

Edited by NeuroTypical

4 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

@anatess2 What lovely handwriting! ❤️ 

In all seriousness, that just may possibly be the first time anyone has ever complimented me on my penmanship. I'm touched.

No, no, don't worry, it's just some dust that got in my eye. Pardon the sniffles -- I'm getting over a bit of a cold. Sometimes my voice just gets a little rough like that. Seriously, I'm fine.

I do want to work on my penmanship now that I have a tool worthy of such a quest.

4 hours ago, zil said:

Actually, if you're talking about the most recent photo - it's @Vort's - and if that's the case, you'll need to change your assessment from "lovely" to "manly" (or at least "Icelandic"). ;)

No, it's okay, I'm good with "lovely". I might just frame @Sunday21's post and display it proudly in my living room.

33 minutes ago, zil said:

mirkwood.thumb.jpg.1cded3530dcadeef51cfb025691d7f14.jpg

Someone clearly needs a fountain pen for Christmas.  Maybe a Parker...

Stainless_Steel_Jotter_Fountain_1024x102

The skipping/hard starts/pressure comes from holding a small notebook cupped in the palm of my hand, in other words, not writing on a flat surface.

Edited by mirkwood

11 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

The skipping/hard starts/pressure comes from holding a small notebook cupped in the palm of my hand, in other words, not writing on a flat surface.

That's why ballpens are horrible.  Get a fountain pen.  Actually, zil is giving them away to very special people.  So if you make her feel special you'll be added to her list of special people...

9 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Yeah, fountain pens don't have this problem.  Ballpoint ink is paste.  Ballpoint (and gel, and rollerball1) pens operate by friction grabbing the ball and making it roll - thus, they need pressure.  A fountain pen is a controlled leak.  All it needs is a place for the ink to go and it will go there.  No pressing down to get a ball rolling - it will write under its own weight.  Therefore, you don't need to squeeze the life out of the poor little thing to operate it, just hold loosely (only enough to control it).

1Gel pen ink is thinner than ballpoint, but thicker than rollerball; rollerball ink is thinner than gel; dip pen ink (for arts / calligraphy) is thinner than rollerball; fountain pen ink is thinnest of all (that doesn't mean it leaks or has poor color or isn't permanent; leaking is caused either by abuse or damage; color and permanence depend on the ink).