Rules on baptism for the dead

Sunday21

Guest MormonGator
Just now, zil said:

If they'd left it on the original schedule - Saturday morning at 9am - it would have been baptizing the dead.  Instead, they made a special exception and held it in the afternoon.

(Just teasing, MG.)

:: nervous laughter :: 

@mirkwood- if you don't hear from me for a few days, please arrest @zil. She might have spiked my coffee. Um, I mean, spiked my tea-er, beer. Um...oh never mind. Just throw @zil in prison! 

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

@MormonGator Well you know my heathen ways too well. That's what you get when you hang out with a convert from the mission field?

You have to watch those converts. They are a tricky bunch. 

I can understand some of the distress.  I have raised this issue previously, and as the thread has moved on I won't bring it up in great detail again here, but I understand why people would be upset.  I have experienced some of this personally.

In regards to Carrie Fisher's grandparents, it is possible it is the same excuse I found out in regards to mine?  If they are over 90 years since their birth (I used to think it was 110, but apparently it's more like 90, which means almost everyone who is of my parent's generation, much less my grandparents generation at this point) they are free game.  We have no say on whether they are baptized or not, I suppose.  Doesn't make me feel any better about some of the choices made in regards to my own genealogy by others, but there's that.

9 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

I can understand some of the distress.  I have raised this issue previously, and as the thread has moved on I won't bring it up in great detail again here, but I understand why people would be upset.  I have experienced some of this personally.

In regards to Carrie Fisher's grandparents, it is possible it is the same excuse I found out in regards to mine?  If they are over 90 years since their birth (I used to think it was 110, but apparently it's more like 90, which means almost everyone who is of my parent's generation, much less my grandparents generation at this point) they are free game.  We have no say on whether they are baptized or not, I suppose.  Doesn't make me feel any better about some of the choices made in regards to my own genealogy by others, but there's that.

But the person doing the work needs to a direct ancestor. Is this not the case in your situation?

27 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

But the person doing the work needs to a direct ancestor. Is this not the case in your situation?

I've explained it previously.  I'll be brief here, though.  I am the first individual in the LDS church in my family.  There are no other direct descendants but me.  Despite that, others have done my family geneology without me or my families permission (I should note, it is a line of royalty/nobility, so some of the line is already public knowledge...but my particular branch is a little more obscure as it is not directly to the throne, just a title, I am the son of the youngest though, so I'm not in that line really to inherit.  In addition, the nobility was done away with many years/decades ago overall, but it is still a line of nobility if that matters, which it might to some).  Some of it was expressely stuff even I wouldn't approve regarding one of my relatives (family knows about baptisms for the dead).  There were express conditions that were never to be done (individual never sealed to a particular husband under any condition).  They were sealed anyways by those who are not part of our family (me and my children basically being the only ones who were direct descendants and could do the work).  However, these individuals were born over 90 years ago (and even 110 years ago).  My grandmother's work has been done over 4 times now as per what I pulled up, and was actively being done a fifth time recently.  It is NOT I who is doing this stuff.

So, yes, I can understand at least some consternation when others do work for your direct relatives and do things you do not approve of.  that's what I was expressing.

Edited by JohnsonJones