20 Best Mormon Movies of all time

pam

I found Brigham City to be exceptionally disturbing film that was not uplifting in the least.  I think it is telling that Richard Dutcher apostasized soon after releasing the film.

I would rank The Testaments at number one.  I saw that on my mission for the first time, and spent the next several years quoting the bad guy in it.

I would probably rank The Work and the Glory much, much higher.  And Mobsters and Mormons - the only Mormon comedy I actually felt was funny.

I've only seen a couple of the ones on the list.  But Mobsters and Mormons was one of my all-time favorite comedies even among mainstream movies.

ONE CORRECTION: Princess Diaries came out BEFORE Other Side of Heaven.

Edited by Guest

There were a few on the list that I really liked.  Freetown, The Saratov Approach, 17 Miracles, Ephraim's Rescue (probably cuz I know the man who played  Ephraim), The Cokeville Miracle, and Johnny Lingo.  

2 minutes ago, pam said:

There were a few on the list that I really liked.  Freetown, The Saratov Approach, 17 Miracles, Ephraim's Rescue (probably cuz I know the man who played  Ephraim), The Cokeville Miracle, and Johnny Lingo.  

Cool thread :) .

Charly was grand, for sure.

i'm surprised nobody has mentioned The Touch Of The Master's Hand.  Such beautiful music - and the end, where the Master wipes away the 'scars' of the violin.  So profound.  i'd say that was just a clip, but they included Johnny Lingo, so.....

In case anyone hasn't seen it.

https://vimeo.com/262160047

2 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

Cool thread :) .

Charly was grand, for sure.

i'm surprised nobody has mentioned The Touch Of The Master's Hand.  Such beautiful music - and the end, where the Master wipes away the 'scars' of the violin.  So profound.  i'd say that was just a clip, but they included Johnny Lingo, so.....

In case anyone hasn't seen it.

https://vimeo.com/262160047

The Touch of the Master's Hand is my absolute favorite poem.  EVER!!  I have a wall hanging that has a vintage looking parchment with the poem and a little violin next to it.  I also have a beautifully illustrated book made from the poem.  

I don't know if this is considered a Mormon Movie but Mr. Krueger's Christmas comes to mind.  I have always loved that movie.  I watch it every Christmas.

21 hours ago, pam said:

The Touch of the Master's Hand is my absolute favorite poem.  EVER!!  I have a wall hanging that has a vintage looking parchment with the poem and a little violin next to it.  I also have a beautifully illustrated book made from the poem.  

The first time I ever heard of it was when I heard the Afterglow version of it.  When I heard there was a poem it was modeled after, I read it.  From that route, the song seemed more efficient and the poem seemed too didactic.

A companion on my mission had the reverse experience.  And he ended up not liking the song because it didn't explain things well enough.

No accounting for taste.