classylady

Passed the Technician Class test for Ham Radio today

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Jedi_Nephite said:

True, in fact, I heard a lady on the 20m band sending QSOs last week.  As for me, I made my first HF contact with someone from South Dakota responding to my CQ.   

By the way, has anyone ever attended a hamfest, or ham radio convention?  My brother and I were thinking of going to one, but not really sure what goes on there.

Sort of.  When we were doing scouts the scouts on occasion had done something called a Jamboree on the Air.  They contacted other scouts in other areas of the nation and world if they could.

I was not the operator, merely one of the adults ensuring 2 deep leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Sort of.  When we were doing scouts the scouts on occasion had done something called a Jamboree on the Air.  They contacted other scouts in other areas of the nation and world if they could.

I was not the operator, merely one of the adults ensuring 2 deep leadership.

Actually, what I’m referring to is not something that takes place on the radio, but, rather, a convention where ham radio enthusiasts gather together to talk about ham radio, have contests, give presentations, sell equipment, et cetera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2022 at 4:19 AM, JohnsonJones said:

You know guys, if I was the Stake President, I might be looking for radio operators for the Stake's Emergency team (or ward, some wards also had them in the past and a need for radio operators...just in case).

Not a Stake President or (probably) in your Stakes though, so...has no effect.

My husband’s calling is the Stake Communication Specialist. He inherited a bunch of equipment, radio/internet stuff from the previous man with this calling. My husband hasn’t found any guidelines and very little direction on this calling. If anyone else has this calling, what have you done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jedi_Nephite said:

True, in fact, I heard a lady on the 20m band sending QSOs last week.  As for me, I made my first HF contact with someone from South Dakota responding to my CQ.   

By the way, has anyone ever attended a hamfest, or ham radio convention?  My brother and I were thinking of going to one, but not really sure what goes on there.

I haven’t attended a ham fest or convention, but I have gone to several ham swap meets. I belong to several ham organizations, the ARRL (American Radio Relay League), and a local amateur radio club, which is one of the largest radio clubs in the US. Our local club has a monthly meeting where we have lectures, door prizes, and several activities throughout the year. It also does winter and summer field days. I also participate weekly on the radio with a Ladies Net and a non-denominational Family History Net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, estradling75 said:

I just passed the test for all three levels last night.  The FCC just issued my call sign.  Woo Hoo

Awesome.  Now throw a wire in your backyard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2022 at 1:36 PM, estradling75 said:

I just passed the test for all three levels last night.  The FCC just issued my call sign.  Woo Hoo

Wow!  You passed all three in one night?  That’s impressive, especially for passing the Extra exam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother drove down with his wife and son yesterday.  Since he also passed his General, but doesn’t have an HF radio yet, I invited him to try and make some contacts on my Icom IC-718.  I made four contacts.  He made six.  All of my contacts were stateside, but he was able to make one in Canada.  We could hear a couple of QSOs in Rome and Germany very clearly, but, unfortunately, were not able to get through the pileup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

@classylady @Jedi_Nephite @Grunt @estradling75

This is a video on the missing plane, MH370. Briefly they talk about Ham Radio at about 3:02 and how it could help find the plane! 

I'd never heard about this before.  I'll have to do more research.   Here's more data on WSPRnet and the GDTA project

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I'd never heard about this before.  I'll have to do more research.   Here's more data on WSPRnet and the GDTA project

People such as myself who haven’t done much international travel forget just how big the oceans are. I’m fascinated with the technology they are using to try and find the plane. Now they are using radio waves I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2022 at 4:06 AM, estradling75 said:

I just passed the test for all three levels last night.  The FCC just issued my call sign.  Woo Hoo

Is Woo Hoo a common kind of call name? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now