The Out-Word JAG Thread

zil

15 minutes ago, person0 said:

Oh.  I see you have auto-correct too!

My articulation of incertitude was motivated by personal and unequivocal juxtaposition with reality.  The ability of silico-sentient machinations is confined to the lexicon it is wherewith afforded.  The antecedent verbiage in question was utterly absent therefrom.

Therefore, the earlier pronouncement is proven false. Q.E.D.

Edited by Guest

17 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Discovering the aforementioned summons to contest, the resident sesquipedalian upholds said gauntlet with declaration of malice.  And lacking in judicial accreditation, the site chevalier offers his meager artistry in such endeavor as to render the deft adoption of prevailing electronic automation indispensable.

Such automation obtained and having utilized forthwith, the product of such industry is hereby granted to provide witness to the capacity of the hireling who dares such provocation.

I thought I should offer a translation.  Equally fun.

I just came across this really creative suggestion for a thread.  I think I could have fun with this.  But since I'm no lawyer, i'll use Thesaurus.com.  I'm adept like that.

So, this is what I came up with.  Is it any good?

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I thought I should offer a translation.  Equally fun.

I just came across this really creative suggestion for a thread.  I think I could have fun with this.  But since I'm no lawyer, i'll use Thesaurus.com.  I'm adept like that.

So, this is what I came up with.  Is it any good?

I found this perfect podcast to fall asleep to! It is a discussion of various legal proceedings in Washington DC! I can’t undestand a word! Brilliant! 

22 hours ago, zil said:

I think we should start a thread for the sole purpose of seeing if we can out-word @Just_A_Guy

Oh, you mean a @Just_A_Guy vs @Vort vs @Carborendum three-way wordsmithery battle!  Fun. :popcorn:

21 hours ago, zil said:

Nope, must be English. 

Well, @Just_A_Guy has a penchant for responding in Latin so...

2 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

O tempora!  O mores!

That reminds me.  What is that book that everyone uses to learn Latin?  I was under the impression it started with dividing Rome into four parts or something like that.

14 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

There's more ways to be wordy than just words.  There's also bureaucratic naming conventions.

I once held an R&D Budget Process Performance Improvement Project Meeting pre-meeting.   I am telling the truth.  I am not proud, but neither am I ashamed.  

I once worked for the Post Office, they insisted straight faced that mailboxes be called Street Furniture. Really!

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

I once worked for the Post Office, they insisted straight faced that mailboxes be called Street Furniture. Really!

In the fountain pen review world, there are a lot of people who call things like clips, cap bands, decorative rings, piston knobs, finials and the like "furniture".  Other people call them "hardware".  Somewhere (pretty sure it's in Guyland) they feel the need to do this.  Whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple months ago I got this bunch of fireworks from a friend who was tired of storing them from last year.  They've been sitting on my office shelf.  My son comes and asks what this long stick thing was.  I didn't know.

We looked at it more closely and found some peculiarities existed that set it apart from sparklers (which these bore a resemblance to).  Since there was a lighter just 6 inches away from me, we decided that A SCIENTIFIC INVESTIGATION was in order.  So I called forth my boys to go outside with me -- in the interests of scientific discovery, of course -- to light the dang thing.

We lit and I asked the boys what they thought.

"Yup it's a giant sparkler."

"A-HEM. This is a technical investigation.  That is a controlled combustible device which generates photonic energy in a largely linear path as opposed to a radial one."

We further observed that the combustibles were reacting in a controlled, but violent rate while the inflammable ligno-cellulosic fibers were undergoing exothermic inter-molecular reaction at a decidedly slower rate.  Meanwhile the products of incomplete combustion were being subject to lateral motion due to the presence of the ambient condition of atmospheric imbalance of temperature and pressure.  Soon equilibrium was achieved and an interruption in the exothermic process was evident.  This resulted in a slowing of the reaction which was then overcome as the ligno-cellulosic fibers burned at a rate to remove excess clinker from the burn path.  The original process continued until the fuel source was exhausted.

My son said,"This is exactly why politicians can get away with talking like that."

I responded,"I'd challenge most politicians to talk like that."

My son just texted this to me earlier today.

To the biological male parent of mine, I thy male offspring currently at the abode of the family W.... is now no longer working muscular organs professionally, and would greatly appreciate it if thou wouldst travel to the aforementioned work site to gather thy offspring and bring them to their residential abode.

Not bad for a 15 year old.