Background Check

Talon

Hi there,

So I have a question; I've recently applied to a full time summer position at a camp, but I have a misdemeanor for theft on my record. It happened two years ago, and I wasn't arrested. It's my first and only offense, and have done everything to turn my life aroud. Is there a chance I'll still get hired? Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

5 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Uh Talon, if you have a misdemeanor theft charge that you were convicted of...you were arrested.  Maybe you did not go to jail or serve any time, but you were arrested.

That's not what the judge said when I asked him how it would show up on my record. Or one of the agents from the Department of Human Services. They both said I was given a fine to pay, like a "speeding ticket" only a harsher offense. 

7 hours ago, Talon said:

That's not what the judge said when I asked him how it would show up on my record. Or one of the agents from the Department of Human Services. They both said I was given a fine to pay, like a "speeding ticket" only a harsher offense. 

There is what happened and there is what is on your record.

Perhaps you're saying that you were arrested, but it will not show up on your record?  That doesn't really sound right.  Perhaps you mean that no "conviction" appears on your record? 

Whatever the details, if it is not on your record, then it won't show up on a background search.  If it is on your record (as ANYthing) then it will show up on a background search.  Then it's up to the hiring manager.  Is this bad enough to disqualify you for the position or not.  If it is some "middle" thing, then he might just call you in to ask you about it.  But if this is a common position that he has dozens of applicants for, he might just put your application to the side and go down the list.  If it is a position where you'll be in charge of the care of children (summer camp) they will likely set the bar pretty high.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Talon said:

Hi there,

So I have a question; I've recently applied to a full time summer position at a camp, but I have a misdemeanor for theft on my record. It happened two years ago, and I wasn't arrested. It's my first and only offense, and have done everything to turn my life aroud. Is there a chance I'll still get hired? Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

I think you mean you weren't convicted. You have to have been arrested for theft in order to have been charged a misdemeanor. I saw elsewhere that you paid a fine instead of serving time or other type of incapacitation, so that means you were brought to a judge. Which means you had to have been arrested for a crime.

Edited by BeccaKirstyn

Guest MormonGator

I'm not sure what's really going on here @Talon. You are saying things that don't make sense. 

Most employers would disregard it as a youthful indiscretion, depending on the amount of time that has passed. 

21 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I'm not sure what's really going on here @Talon. You are saying things that don't make sense. 

Most employers would disregard it as a youthful indiscretion, depending on the amount of time that has passed. 

He had mentioned that this is for summer camp.  I can only guess that means working with children.  That means a background check.  Depending on the company/organization, any felony may be grounds for not hiring.  But like Pam said, we don't know the policies of the camp in question.  Without that, we wouldn't know what their standard is.

But I doubt any misdemeanor will bar one from employment anywhere.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Carborendum said:

He had mentioned that this is for summer camp.  I can only guess that means working with children.  That means a background check.  Depending on the company/organization, any felony may be grounds for not hiring.  But like Pam said, we don't know the policies of the camp in question.  Without that, we wouldn't know what their standard is.

Still though, I think a conviction for theft could be overlooked, even if he is working with children. 

Hi @Talon,  Welcome to the Forum.

Regardless of what happened during the event 2 years ago, only one person can answer your question - the hiring manager.

So, my advice is, don't let the opportunity pass you by.  As a matter of fact, make this a part of your life's motto - grab every opportunity for success.  Go and interview for the job and be the best that you can be.  Be honest about everything.  It would help if you fully understand what is and what is not on your record and exactly what it says on there, so you might want to go check with the court house before you go to the interview.  Be prepared to answer questions about it.  Prepare answers that will convince the hiring manager that this incident is behind you and how it will not affect your job performance and then put your best foot forward and convince the hiring manager why he should hire you.  This usually starts by convincing yourself why they should hire you.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, Talon said:

Theft is a misdemeanor, speeding is an infraction.  If they let you plead the charge down to an infraction, that is what would show.  There are custodial and non custodial arrests.  If you have a misdemeanor charge you were arrested.

All that said, the employer will decide whether or not a theft prevents you from getting the job. 

10 hours ago, Talon said:

I guess the only advice I can legitimately give is, "they'll tell you if you get the job or not".  

I know some folks that prove it: Having a mark on your record doesn't mean the end.  It doesn't necessarily mean everyone will look at you through the lens of your record.  It might make it harder in some circumstances, but don't let it get you to stop trying to have a good life.

Guest MormonGator
3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I guess the only advice I can legitimately give is, "they'll tell you if you get the job or not".  

I know some folks that prove it: Having a mark on your record doesn't mean the end.  It doesn't necessarily mean everyone will look at you through the lens of your record.  It might make it harder in some circumstances, but don't let it get you to stop trying to have a good life.

Well said @NeuroTypical. I know of some people in the same boat as well. Unless it's a serious felony a lot of times youthful indiscretions are looked at as...youthful indiscretions.