Feed your soul

Grunt

It's amazing how what you surround yourself with affects your mindset.  After much pondering, I've made some life changes that have had an immediate impact.  I don't have cable at home, but I was starting to watch more Netflix than I liked.  I was reading less.  I was listening to antagonizing political commentary on my ride to work.  The world is rough.  Lots of people are jerks.  Moving my politics to my afternoon ride is much better.  Listening to uplifting talks in the morning lifts me up for the day.  Reading in the evening after the kids go to bed instead of watching television challenges my thinking.  

There are so many things I can be doing that are just better for myself and my family.  I wonder how I got away from them to begin with.  What do you do to feed your soul?

Edited by Grunt

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

It's amazing how what you surround yourself with affects your mindset.  After much pondering, I've made some life changes that have had an immediate impact.  I don't have cable at home, but I was starting to watch more Netflix than I liked.  I was reading less.  I was listening to antagonizing political commentary on my ride to work.  The world is rough.  Lots of people are jerks.  Moving my politics to my afternoon ride is much better.  Listening to uplifting talks in the morning lifts me up for the day.  Reading in the evening after the kids go to bed instead of watching television challenges my thinking.  

There are so many things I can be doing that are just better for myself and my family.  I wonder how I got away from them to begin with.  What do you do to feed your soul?

I read a lot of scriptures. I set goals for myself in my studies. Like right now I’m working on memorizing the Book of Mormon events. I want to have someone read any verse in the Book of Mormon and be able to tell you what chapter it is in.

I also really enjoy writing fiction, reading self help books, playing board games with friends 

4 hours ago, Grunt said:

I don't know if all these are what you mean by feeding my soul, but I can list some of the things I do! One thing is to pray to God constantly, through, for instance, contemplation, awareness, and communication, though unfortunately I've let that fall to the wayside, and I need to try harder again to accomplish it. I try to say the Divine Mercy Chaplet at 3 every day. I used to listen to political radio a lot, but then I switched almost entirely to Catholic Answers, which I've again been slacking on. :( I read a section from the New Testament and a section of spiritual reading each night. I need to become more focused on my daily resolutions and examinations, however. So, the answer is, a few things, very sloppily. :)

On 5/28/2018 at 6:03 PM, Grunt said:

I'm generally working on a project at any given time.  Sometimes, it is a book to read. Sometimes, I'm trying to help someone through a difficult time.  

Recently, I've been going through this self-reliance program.  We're going onto week 9 of 12.  I've written a little about it before.  But it didn't generate much interest.  So... But I'm still finding it to be quite inspired.

I've also been working on my piano skills.  I've learned several musical instruments.  But the piano has several difficulties that make it more onerous than others.  I've never really been able to spend sufficient time on it to get past the same level that I was at as a child.  But the fact that I'm pursuing this as part of my ward calling, I believe I'm being given a divine boost.  I've noticed the same accelerated learning as I did when I learned Spanish on my mission as opposed to all the years before.

These may seem like they're not really "spiritual".  But I guess you'd have to experience this to know what I mean that I'm feeling inspired by these things.  The Lord is leading me to do these. So, they're inspirational.  And they are feeding my soul.

Edited by Guest

Playing the piano was my way of calming myself and feeding my soul for many many years. After my daughter died in a car accident fifteen years ago I could hardly touch the piano. She played beautifully and whenever I sat down to play it became too emotional for me. What used to be my solace now only brought pain. But, this past November, I dont know what changed within me. I had the burning desire to play again. I started with Christmas music. And it has become a great blessing to me to be able to play again. I'm trying to get my skills back. I play on average about two hours a day. Sometimes three. It is bringing me a lot of joy and peace to be able to sit at my piano and pour my feelings out in the music I play. Sometimes the tears stream down my face and I hope no one in the family notices.

Spending that much time at the keyboard keeps me away from watching television or other useless things. I manage my time more wisely in order to get my time in. And my skills are improving.

On 5/28/2018 at 5:03 PM, Grunt said:

What do you do to feed your soul?

For a long time, I neglected this stuff.   It was harder to learn than you might imagine.  These days I actually have a list (that was harder to create than you might imagine) that I follow (which is also occasionally harder to do than you might imagine.)

Take measured risks, choose vulnerability, to a point.
Give love.  Offer love to family members, individually and collectively.  Love through church service.  Love myself by nourishing my hobbies and talents and self.  Accept love when it comes my way.  
Find and admit acceptance from friends, peers, bosses, church.  Accept compliments politely.
Seek joy via music.  Cultivate creative hobbies.  Take the time to enjoy the world’s natural beauty.  Laugh.  Serve.  Slow is ok.
Seek opportunities for friendship, take risks, show up.  Other males only, IRL or online.   
Celebrate accomplishments.
Grow my career and hobbies.  Always have reading material.  Support my wife and be edified as she grows. 
Hug daughters & friends.  
Be trustworthy.  Be transparent when possible.  Earn/accept trust from others.

With a bit of luck, most of this comes naturally to y'all.  It doesn't to me.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
On 5/28/2018 at 7:03 PM, Grunt said:

What do you do to feed your soul?

Solo road trips. There is something so peaceful and spiritual about the open road. 

This is a great thread idea @Grunt.  Thank-you!

Music.  Words (poetry excepted) are no good.  You can see what a word means in your mind, but you can't really feel it.  They can't carry meaning very deep.  A good piece of music is different.  i'll listen to one dozens of times in a day until i wear it out - unless it's truly divine, in which case i am (occasionally) ever so slightly better at slowing my extraction of the beauty and meaning that it is willing to release to me.  It is always very sad when a song at last loses it's ability to release you for a few minutes from the heavy vest that we all carry.

Photography i really enjoy.  i go back, and see pictures i took.  It's odd how what you see in the picture is different from what you remember.  Often, it's more beautiful - and you can appreciate what it was - outside the context it was experienced in.

(Audio)books.  i inhale them.  Scarf them down.  Often without truly tasting them.  But i know they shape me - destroy hate and indignation and anger with understanding.  Each one is almost like a person you knew from long ago.  You cannot remember the details of their face - but you never forget their essence - the way in which their energy (lacking a better term) affected you.  Very few things that an excess of does not corrupt - that are also in infinite supply.  But the reading of good books i think comes close.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, lostinwater said:

This is a great thread idea @Grunt.  Thank-you!

Music.  Words (poetry excepted) are no good.  You can see what a word means in your mind, but you can't really feel it.  They can't carry meaning very deep.  A good piece of music is different.  i'll listen to one dozens of times in a day until i wear it out - unless it's truly divine, in which case i am (occasionally) ever so slightly better at slowing my extraction of the beauty and meaning that it is willing to release to me.  It is always very sad when a song at last loses it's ability to release you for a few minutes from the heavy vest that we all carry.

Photography i really enjoy.  i go back, and see pictures i took.  It's odd how what you see in the picture is different from what you remember.  Often, it's more beautiful - and you can appreciate what it was - outside the context it was experienced in.

(Audio)books.  i inhale them.  Scarf them down.  Often without truly tasting them.  But i know they shape me - destroy hate and indignation and anger with understanding.  Each one is almost like a person you knew from long ago.  You cannot remember the details of their face - but you never forget their essence - the way in which their energy (lacking a better term) affected you.  Very few things that an excess of does not corrupt - that are also in infinite supply.  But the reading of good books i think comes close.

Music and audiobooks?! Preach on sister! Right there with you! 

On 6/2/2018 at 7:05 PM, classylady said:

But, this past November, I dont know what changed within me. I had the burning desire to play again. I started with Christmas music. And it has become a great blessing to me to be able to play again. I'm trying to get my skills back. I play on average about two hours a day. Sometimes three. It is bringing me a lot of joy and peace to be able to sit at my piano and pour my feelings out in the music I play. Sometimes the tears stream down my face and I hope no one in the family notices.

I have difficulty singing I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day because when I get to the part "Then peeled the bells more loud and deep, God is not dead, nor doth he sleep."  I can't really sing it with any feeling because I find I can no longer control my voice if I actually feel the song for that verse.

Music truly is a powerful thing.

As a fix, I have to hold back my feelings and sing that verse rather blase'.  It's the only way I can get through it.

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I have difficulty singing I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day because when I get to the part "Then peeled the bells more loud and deep, God is not dead, nor doth he sleep."  I can't really sing it with any feeling because I find I can no longer control my voice if I actually feel the song for that verse.

Music truly is a powerful thing.

As a fix, I have to hold back my feelings and sing that verse rather blase'.  It's the only way I can get through it.

That's me with half the hymns I know.

I like opening my house to new ward members (move-ins or investigators).  I don't know but there's something about building friendships that feed my soul.  And a karaoke party after my frenzied Filipino dinners (most of the time, people come in and I'm still busy fixing dinner in the kitchen - because if left to my own devices I'd be late to my own funeral - so they tend to drop all awkwardness and start helping out) are instant relationship builders.

Edited by anatess2

6 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I like opening my house to new ward members (move-ins or investigators).  I don't know but there's something about building friendships that feed my soul.  And a karaoke party after my frenzied Filipino dinners (most of the time, people come in and I'm still busy fixing dinner in the kitchen - because if left to my own devices I'd be late to my own funeral - so they tend to drop all awkwardness and start helping out) are instant relationship builders.

That's funny.  I've been with my wife for a long time.  I've always been a hermit.  I hated guests, hated holidays, and never visited when invited.  Since finding the church our house is a revolving door of visitors, I host all holidays, and visit others frequently.  I can't really explain it.