Is St. George, Utah a nice place to raise a family?

Overwatch

St. George is pretty popular as a retirement community, but it has plenty of families as well. Many of my co-workers are raising their families there, and they really like it. It’s a nice area. Let me know if you have any other questions.

23 minutes ago, Connie said:

St. George is pretty popular as a retirement community, but it has plenty of families as well. Many of my co-workers are raising their families there, and they really like it. It’s a nice area. Let me know if you have any other questions.

That actually sounds perfect.Thank you so much. Whatever else you feel like sharing like: ward sizes, nearby attractions, daily life in St. George, local customes I'll need to watch for.

It all is appreciated. I am already happy about it being a retirement area.

It's a commonly told tale that if someone had a house in St. George and a house in Hell, they'd rent the St. George house and live in hell where it's not as hot. 

But if you like the heat, go for it.  Back in the day my Grandma had a condo there, and we'd go hang out in the pool.  Air conditioning and pools make all that doable. 

image.png.e0c66658790a7faf2dea417b3ae7d4f0.png

19 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

It's a commonly told tale that if someone had a house in St. George and a house in Hell, they'd rent the St. George house and live in hell where it's not as hot. 

But if you like the heat, go for it.  Back in the day my Grandma had a condo there, and we'd go hang out in the pool.  Air conditioning and pools make all that doable. 

image.png.e0c66658790a7faf2dea417b3ae7d4f0.png

I grew up in 125°F dry weather. The humidity in Texas is kicking my butt though and my wife doesn't like it here.

Seems like nice weather.

I never lived in Saint George... I used to live in Phoenix and visit my parents in Saint George...  On my few visits the difference was that Saint George cooled down at night.

I can not speak to much else about the place.

3 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

I never lived in Saint George... I used to live in Phoenix and visit my parents in Saint George...  On my few visits the difference was that Saint George cooled down at night.

I can not speak to much else about the place.

I am familiar with some Stradlings. Are you part of the Joseph O  line?

I grew up in St. George. I have two sisters and a son who lives there so I go there on a regular basis. For me, it’s the heat that I can’t handle. I suppose if I stayed in a nice air conditioned house all day I would be able to survive. But, it’s only really hot about three months out of the year. The rest of the year the weather is great so outdoor activities are easily done.

It’s not the same little town I grew up in. Traffic can be bad. If you learn how to bypass certain roads then getting around isn’t so bad. The hospital is top-notch and shopping is good.  Hope this helps.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, Overwatch said:

Hello,

I am thinking about moving to Utah and thought St. George might be nice. If you have any input on the area or personal experience living there, maybe passing through, let me know your thoughts on it.

Thanks

Since I love skiing and cycling – Sandy, Utah (15 minutes from skiing in some of the world’s best resorts) for me is perfect.  My wife is not a cyclist and would prefer St George.   I often cycle in St George in the late fall and early spring but winter and summer I personally prefer not to spend in St. George.  If you would like to raise your family in an outdoor desert environment with several highly rated international hiking trails within a day’s travel by car – St George would be ideal.  If you are looking for world class art and entertainment – you will likely be greatly disappointed.    

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

Since I love skiing and cycling – Sandy, Utah (15 minutes from skiing in some of the world’s best resorts) for me is perfect.  My wife is not a cyclist and would prefer St George.   I often cycle in St George in the late fall and early spring but winter and summer I personally prefer not to spend in St. George.  If you would like to raise your family in an outdoor desert environment with several highly rated international hiking trails within a day’s travel by car – St George would be ideal.  If you are looking for world class art and entertainment – you will likely be greatly disappointed.    

The Traveler

Thanks. That is what I am looking at right now, some place calm. My kids are home schooled but very friendly with people. I really want them to be raised in a calm environment. The ward we are in has a lot of Seniors as regulars and all the young families come and go. I really enjoy the older members as I feel like I learn a lot from them. They were there when my mentors were (in the church) and I really like to know how they managed to stay faithful to the changes of the church while my mentors did not.

At times I feel like I was "raised" by Sith Lords but the Force (Ashla) keeps pulling me back in. I really appreciate the sites and outdoor activities you mentioned. Right now I am recovering spiritually and physically so the slow area might be just what I need to get going again. There is also a University in St. George and I have been eyeing that a bit. 

14 hours ago, Overwatch said:

Thanks. That is what I am looking at right now, some place calm. My kids are home schooled but very friendly with people. I really want them to be raised in a calm environment. The ward we are in has a lot of Seniors as regulars and all the young families come and go. I really enjoy the older members as I feel like I learn a lot from them. They were there when my mentors were (in the church) and I really like to know how they managed to stay faithful to the changes of the church while my mentors did not.

At times I feel like I was "raised" by Sith Lords but the Force (Ashla) keeps pulling me back in. I really appreciate the sites and outdoor activities you mentioned. Right now I am recovering spiritually and physically so the slow area might be just what I need to get going again. There is also a University in St. George and I have been eyeing that a bit. 

Cedar City is also not far away so there are more options for college allowing someone to be away but not far from home.  Both universities are adequate – but then Las Vegas is not so far away either.    There is also a saying that great sailors are not made in calm waters.  I am a believer that life is not just about making the best choices – sometimes it is about making the best of whatever choice we are able to make.  May the "Holy Spirit" be with you.

The Traveler

Just now, Traveler said:

Cedar City is also not far away so there are more options for college allowing someone to be away but not far from home.  Both universities are adequate – but then Las Vegas is not so far away either.    There is also a saying that great sailors are not made in calm waters.  I am a believer that life is not just about making the best choices – sometimes it is about making the best of whatever choice we are able to make.  May the "Holy Spirit" be with you.

The Traveler