Please help: I found out today that my 13-year-old son has been sexually abusing his 7-year-old sister

TIM0THY

7 hours ago, FunkyTown said:

So he joined 2 years ago, made no posts, then came back to post this single post?

Hold on a sec while I reevaluate my assessment.

IMO, this is the sort of situation where the "quick, hide" impulse is strongly felt, so, it's not like he's going to want to ask someone he knows (aka who knows him) for advice, therefore, he turned to somewhere that he knew there were active Church members, and asked them.  (At least, this would explain the matter to me.)

On 8/20/2018 at 5:21 AM, TIM0THY said:

This came to light when my wife asked him if he had been able to renew his temple recommend after church and he told her that he hadn't. She then asked him why he hadn't and he explained to he that he had confessed to our bishop that he had been molesting our 7-year-old daughter.  My wife revealed this information to me later this evening. 

The Bishop should have told you your son confession. That isnt right at all if he didnt. 

6 minutes ago, JayKi said:

The Bishop should have told you your son confession. That isnt right at all if he didnt. 

There's a lot of big details here we don't know -- like if the Bishop had just talked to the son that afternoon, then he simply could have not yet had the time to tell the parents.  He probably would have also wanted to call the Bishop's-hotline to seek counsel on how to best handle the situation (something that would have token a little time to do).  

Re: the bishop not saying anything - Maybe the bishop encouraged the son to tell his parents himself and gave him a chance to do that. For all we know, the bishop would have followed up with mom and dad within a certain amount of time to make sure they knew.

I myself was sexually abused by a brother and an old family friend. For your daughter and your son please please please get them counseling. And please report it. I am so very thankful that my parents did. Sexual abuse of any kind is abuse and way too many people just get a slap on the wrist and don't change, just get better at hiding it. The bishop himself should of reported it and could actually get in trouble for knowing something like this and not reporting it.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:21 PM, TIM0THY said:

This came to light when my wife asked him if he had been able to renew his temple recommend after church and he told her that he hadn't. She then asked him why he hadn't and he explained to he that he had confessed to our bishop that he had been molesting our 7-year-old daughter.  My wife revealed this information to me later this evening. 

I cannot agree or disagree with anything said so far.  I would do things a lot differently.

Namely, the bishop.  IF this did happen, the Bishop is obligated to report it.  That is the way it is in every single state in the US., inclusing the territories.  Why hasn't he reported it yet?

It is possible this could be made up.  Is that stupid?  Well, yes it is, but then kids are kids and kids have/can/always will manage to do stupid crap every chance they get.

And THAT is why I think the Bishop may not have reported it.  It's possible he may not believe your kid, and you need to find out.

Other than that you and your family are in my prayers.  I pray that the truth, whatever it is, comes out, and it is handled the best interests of your family.

5 hours ago, aruth5000 said:

I myself was sexually abused by a brother and an old family friend. For your daughter and your son please please please get them counseling. And please report it. I am so very thankful that my parents did. Sexual abuse of any kind is abuse and way too many people just get a slap on the wrist and don't change, just get better at hiding it. The bishop himself should of reported it and could actually get in trouble for knowing something like this and not reporting it.

I am so terribly sorry to hear this! Thinking of you!