Predictions on policy changes during conference?

mikbone

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

No they won't. Children never have to learn anything. Learning is unimportant. Children should remain spoiled and pampered their whole lives.

Is this what you believe I am saying or think?

No.  That's not what I believe you're saying.

I am saying gaining skills to live as a society starts at age 0, whereas you are saying gaining skills to live as a society is not inherent in a child's need for a nap.

19 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

So if what works best for everyone (family) is to put the baby down at a time where they wake at around 8:30 every day except for Sunday...we're back to what I originally asked? Do you expect me to alter the schedule for waking every day just to accommodate the church schedule -- and accordingly make the rest of the week's schedule not work well? Or do you believe that forcing my 1 year old out of bed at 6am that one day a week won't result in crankiness from said 1 year old?

You seem to be discussing two different things. I agree that a child should not rule the roost, so to speak, and must accommodate (as much as possible) the greater needs of the family. That is an entirely different issue than expecting said child to not be cranky from said accommodation. You keep implying that I believe in letting the child's nap needs take precedence over everything. I haven't said that. I haven't even implied that. So why do you keep implying it?

What I am suggesting is that having the child accommodate the needs of the family will, inevitably, at times, lead to the child being cranky. How anyone can think otherwise is beyond me.

Believe it or not, a child is not so inflexible that a change of schedule for one day of the week ruins the rest of the week.  If your child is that inflexible, then we go back to my response to... can't remember who now... you'll need to make changes to the rest of the week.

I have not implied what you say I implied.  I am telling you that what you're saying your child does is because of how you set up the environment of the child - not because that's just what children do.  It is a difference of perspective which I point to as child-focus versus family-focus.  It's perfectly illustrated in that little difference of calling Churchtime naptime... it's a difference in focus.

Inevitably, at times, the child gets cranky.  Of course.  But being cranky on Churchtime shouldn't be the norm when Churchtime is tradition.

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

whereas you are saying gaining skills to live as a society is not inherent in a child's need for a nap.

It's somewhat amazing to me that you are doing the exact thing you pointed out Overwatch was doing and yet are totally oblivious to the fact you're doing it. I'll quote you for context:

"You sure have a funny way of expanding things beyond what the writer intended."

Believe it or not, a child is not so inflexible that a change of schedule for one day of the week ruins the rest of the week. 

I didn't say what you say I'm saying. I am saying that changing a child's sleeping schedule on one day a week will likely cause crankiness on that day. The idea that if you do it every week they'll just handle it and not be cranky after a few weeks or something is wrong. They won't. If they did, our child would no longer be cranky half way through church every week. It doesn't matter if we, the parents, think of it as "nap time" instead of "church time". Our daughter isn't reading our minds or responding to our view in that regard. Her schedule gets changed. She get's cranky. We change her schedule once a week every week -- exactly like you suggest. We do not let her "nap time" get in the way of church. We go to church and stay. Every week. She gets cranky. Every week. If what you're saying is correct then the fact that we do this every week should mean that she's used to it and doesn't get cranky any more. Bologna.

Why am I even arguing this with you? Think what you want. I'll still take my child to church every week instead of giving her a nap and she'll still get cranky despite what you think. So...think what you think. I don't care.

But being cranky on Churchtime shouldn't be the norm when Churchtime is tradition.

This isn't even true of adults. I, for example, have to change my schedule one day a week for work, starting several hours earlier in the morning than the other days. Every week that day is harder. I struggle more with precision, problem solving, attitude, etc. Because...duh. Sure, I try and go to bed earlier. Doesn't work...my body isn't used to sleeping that early. I could change my schedule every day to accommodate that one...causing grief and difficulty every other day. But that would be silly. So I put up with being overly tired one day a week, and handle it the best I can. Being an adult, I can typically overcome the natural effects of my schedule getting thrown off once a week. Expecting the same of a one year old is nonsense.

I'm not going to argue the point any more because what good would it do if you convinced me? She'd still be just as cranky in the middle of church.

11 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

It's somewhat amazing to me that you are doing the exact thing you pointed out Overwatch was doing and yet are totally oblivious to the fact you're doing it. I'll quote you for context:

"You sure have a funny way of expanding things beyond what the writer intended."

I didn't say what you say I'm saying. I am saying that changing a child's sleeping schedule on one day a week will likely cause crankiness on that day. The idea that if you do it every week they'll just handle it and not be cranky after a few weeks or something is wrong. They won't. If they did, our child would no longer be cranky half way through church every week. It doesn't matter if we, the parents, think of it as "nap time" instead of "church time". Our daughter isn't reading our minds or responding to our view in that regard. Her schedule gets changed. She get's cranky. We change her schedule once a week every week -- exactly like you suggest. We do not let her "nap time" get in the way of church. We go to church and stay. Every week. She gets cranky. Every week. If what you're saying is correct then the fact that we do this every week should mean that she's used to it and doesn't get cranky any more. Bologna.

Why am I even arguing this with you? Think what you want. I'll still take my child to church every week instead of giving her a nap and she'll still get cranky despite what you think. So...think what you think. I don't care.

This isn't even true of adults. I, for example, have to change my schedule one day a week for work, starting several hours earlier in the morning than the other days. Every week that day is harder. I struggle more with precision, problem solving, attitude, etc. Because...duh. Sure, I try and go to bed earlier. Doesn't work...my body isn't used to sleeping that early. I could change my schedule every day to accommodate that one...causing grief and difficulty every other day. But that would be silly. So I put up with being overly tired one day a week, and handle it the best I can. Being an adult, I can typically overcome the natural effects of my schedule getting thrown off once a week. Expecting the same of a one year old is nonsense.

I'm not going to argue the point any more because what good would it do if you convinced me? She'd still be just as cranky in the middle of church.

Okay, we're obviously speaking past each other.  Whatever else exaggeration you perceive I'm doing, the disagreement stems from the bolded above.  You believe it is wrong, I disagree.  I identified the source of the disagreement - child-focused versus family-focused perspective.  And, as I have an entire clan plus my  children that disproves your bolded line above, then I am not inclined to change my mind on the matter.

This is not about convincing you.  This is about... well - I have 2 kids that proves my point, so at least in those 2 instances (plus my family tradition) it's not wrong.  You don't have to believe me.

Edited by anatess2

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

And, as I have an entire clan plus my  children that disproves your bolded line above, then I am not inclined to change my mind on the matter.

Oh. Well then. I'll guess I'll just expect my child to never be cranky at church again. Because...clan.

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

Oh. Well then. I'll guess I'll just expect my child to never be cranky at church again. Because...clan.

No... because you already rejected my parenting style as can't be done.  So, of course, your child will not have the same experience as ours.

3 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

For the great majority of people, I expect, the declaration that they want one less hour of church so they can spend time with their families (or "rest") is garbage. For the random few who never watch TV, play video games, watch sports, hang out with friends, read, go for a drive/bike ride, exercise, meditate, or do any other type of leisure activity away from their families -- not even 1 hours a weeks worth -- and therefore have nothing else to trade off for family time -- then maybe. Unless one wants to make the argument than any of the above, including a thousand other things, are MORE important than church...the argument holds little water.

That is a really incredibly judgemental thing to say. How in the world do you know what other people are going to do with that hour or what their needs and intentions for the Sabbath are?? It is strictly between the Lord and the individual or the family. 

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

This is my take on the matter.  If you're exhausted on Sunday because you worked all week, then it might be that you need to make changes with "all week".  But that's just me.

Wow! Just wow!!  So this person should just snap their fingers and get a higher paying job for fewer hours worked? Or better yet become independently wealthy so they don't have to work. Then they wouldn't be so tired on Sundays. 🙄 

Yes " that's just you" and pretty uppity thing to say. 

9 minutes ago, carlimac said:

That is a really incredibly judgemental thing to say. How in the world do you know what other people are going to do with that hour or what their needs and intentions for the Sabbath are?? It is strictly between the Lord and the individual or the family. 

If someone needs more time with their family shouldn't sports go before church?

Shouldn't that be obvious?

If someone is spending an hour a week watching sports instead of being with their families and then they want an hour off church to be with their families then they're really trading church for sports. The family doesn't really come into the equation until someone has put down all other lesser distractions.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

12 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

No... because you already rejected my parenting style as can't be done.  So, of course, your child will not have the same experience as ours.

No I didn't. I already do what you're suggesting...and my child is still cranky during church.

16 hours ago, bytebear said:

When Grunt mentioned "Linger Longers" I was reminded of my mission (same general geographical area) and we had them too.  Members lived somewhat far from the building, so we did a potluck after church.  I never heard of it before that, and we don't have them here.  But even here in California, I have a several chapels within a 15 minute drive. 

I love linger longer!

21 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Anatess...every person on this earth has a different temperament. Some adapt to change. Some don't. There are some kids who get cranky at church Every. Week!! and it is disruptive to the rest of the ward and exhausting for the parents. For those families, it's probably better to take the sacrament and then go home with said cranky child. I've don'e this on occasion and encouraged my children to do the same with their kids if need be. 

Life is not so black and white as you call it. Perhaps there's something genetic in your clan that makes them easier going and more adaptable. But it doesn't make someone else a bad parent or have an ineffective parenting style if their kids don't adjust. I know that's not what you said but it certainly reads that way. 

Edited by carlimac

8 minutes ago, carlimac said:

Wow! Just wow!!  So this person should just snap their fingers and get a higher paying job for fewer hours worked? Or better yet become independently wealthy so they don't have to work. Then they wouldn't be so tired on Sundays. 🙄 

You're making all kinds of unwarranted assumptions there.  You might want to go back and look at exactly what was said and what wasn't, and which things you assumed.

14 minutes ago, carlimac said:

Well, that was disingenuous.

So, your answer to too tired for Sunday is to get a higher paying job?  Not... oh I don't know... the quadzillion other things you can change of the other hours that you're not working?

10 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

If someone needs more time with their family shouldn't sports go before church?

Shouldn't that be obvious?

If someone is spending an hour a week watching sports instead of being with their families and then they want an hour off church to be with their families then they're really trading church for sports. The family doesn't really come into the equation until someone has put down all other lesser distractions.

Ok here is our schedule: Husband gets up at 5:45 AM on Sundays. Bishopric meetings from 6:30  til church starts. I get kids to church by 9:00 They are teenagers who have been getting up at 4:45 ALL WEEK for early morning seminary and 6:00 or earlier on Sat. to catch a bus for their cross country meets. 9 AM on Sunday is still rough because they are so flipping tired!! 3 hours of church- two of those hours in which they have the same lesson repeated twice because SS and the youth are on the same lesson schedules. (Yawn!!) Then since our ward is so spread out, at least 2-3 Sundays a month there are extra meetings after church- BYC, YW Presidency meetings or YW class presidency meetings.  YOu get some energetic talkers in those meetings and they go on till 1:30 some weeks. My husband doesn't usually get home till 2:00 most Sundays after interviews, working out kinks and driving 20 min away to deposit tithing money in the bank. 

We are all EXHAUSTED on Sundays and need a nap. Sometimes we get it, sometimes not depending on who is coming for dinner or how many of our kids we skype Sun afternoon. Or who in the wards needs us. 

That extra hour isn't about sports or even family time. It's about SANITY!!

Throw a couple anxiety disorders in the mix and Sunday is not a day of rest. It's a day of angst and family separation and just wishing for a one hour church meeting where we can really worship and reconnect with peace and quiet. Instead, the "Church" has made our Sundays long, drawn out and full of busywork that frankly has nothing to do with our ultimate goal of meeting our Heavenly Father again and reaching the Celestial Kingdom. 

9 minutes ago, carlimac said:

Anatess...every person on this earth has a different temperament. Some adapt to change. Some don't. There are some kids who get cranky at church Every. Week!! and it is disruptive to the rest of the ward and exhausting for the parents. For those families, it's probably better to take the sacrament and then go home with said cranky child. I've don'e this on occasion and encouraged my children to do the same with their kids if need be. 

Life is not so black and white as you call it. Perhaps there's something genetic in your clan that makes them easier going and more adaptable. But it doesn't make someone else a bad parent or have an ineffective parenting style if their kids don't adjust. I know that's not what you said but it certainly reads that way. 

I'm not talking about one Sunday.  I'm talking about parenting approaches.  Just like if your kid have allergies you can change their diet.  Or pick any talk on any Sunday addressing whatever is the issue of the day.  It's a general parenting advice not a - your kid should be the exact same thing as my kid.

There's nothing genetic about my family.  It's simply different parenting approach.  Like I mentioned about "Church falls on naptime" - that's not how we look at things.  There's no naptime on Churchtime.  That's just the way it is.  So everybody, including the toddler adapts.  Of course, some kids have a harder time adapting than others.  But it doesn't change the fact that Churchtime is not naptime.  Schooltime is not naptime.  Your kid is cranky at school because you established it as his naptime, it's a problem that needs to be addressed - what I learned from how my family does it is one way to address it.

5 minutes ago, carlimac said:

Ok here is our schedule: Husband gets up at 5:45 AM on Sundays. Bishopric meetings from 6:30  til church starts. I get kids to church by 9:00 They are teenagers who have been getting up at 4:45 ALL WEEK for early morning seminary and 6:00 or earlier on Sat. to catch a bus for their cross country meets. 9 AM on Sunday is still rough because they are so flipping tired!! 3 hours of church- two of those hours in which they have the same lesson repeated twice because SS and the youth are on the same lesson schedules. (Yawn!!) Then since our ward is so spread out, at least 2-3 Sundays a month there are extra meetings after church- BYC, YW Presidency meetings or YW class presidency meetings.  YOu get some energetic talkers in those meetings and they go on till 1:30 some weeks. My husband doesn't usually get home till 2:00 most Sundays after interviews, working out kinks and driving 20 min away to deposit tithing money in the bank. 

We are all EXHAUSTED on Sundays and need a nap. Sometimes we get it, sometimes not depending on who is coming for dinner or how many of our kids we skype Sun afternoon. Or who in the wards needs us. 

Throw a couple anxiety disorders in the mix and Sunday is not a day of rest. It's a day of angst and family separation and just wishing for a one hour church meeting where we can really worship and reconnect with peace and quiet. Instead, the "Church" has made our Sundays long, drawn out and full of busywork that frankly has nothing to do with our ultimate goal of meeting our Heavenly Father again and reaching the Celestial Kingdom. 

I'm not following how your sanity level has anything to do with my point. 

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, carlimac said:

I'm sorry you are struggling with this @carlimac. I admire your dedication to your faith with such a crazy schedule! 

16 minutes ago, carlimac said:

The bolded is the issue, I think.

Church should not be busywork.  So that needs to change in your ward.

We spend most of the afternoon on Sunday at Church - we're on the 1pm schedule.  Both my husband and I are in scouts so our callings happen during the week.  Our lessons and everything else are a joy, not busywork.  So I and the kids are in choir - choir practice after Church - it's not busywork, it's stuff we love doing as a family.  My son is the choir pianist, so he spends a lot of time during the week practicing in addition to working on his eagle - he finally finished!  just waiting on board of review - and seminary and his schoolwork and jiujitsu  - where he is preparing for a tournament in a couple weeks - and concert performances... but he likes doing all of those - including 5:45AM Seminary - so he's not stressed - his stress is his school that gives excessive homework or he doesn't like the teacher, etc. because he doesn't want to do it but he has to.  And we can't change that - he just has to learn to push through things he doesn't like to do so he can get a good grade in class.  So, like this 5th Sunday is linger longer, we're super excited about it - we get to stay longer at Church.  That's because linger longer (or any of our lessons) is not busywork.  They're pretty fun for us.

So... this is the thing - if it's not something you like doing (like my son and his schoolwork) then it becomes busywork and it stresses you out.  So, my suggestion (you've been biting my head off lately, so I hope you don't take this as - there she goes again being superior and stuff), get rid of the busywork or find a way to convert them to work you enjoy doing.

Edited by anatess2

6 minutes ago, carlimac said:

I'm pretty confused by this post.  Here are just a few thoughts that came to mind.  Please don't take this as accusatory because I honestly don't mean it that way.  I'm trying to put myself in your position.

My family runs something like yours.  I'm up at 0400 every day to read the scriptures.  I don't have time at night.  I'm off to work before my family rises.  My wife gets up, gets the kids off to school, and goes to work.  In the evening we reverse the process adding in sports practices, evening meetings, member dinner visits, ministering, etc.  Saturdays are sports games, farm work, and more of the above.  

Like you, we needed to find some sanity time.  It's interesting that to note that you said: "Instead, the "Church" has made our Sundays long, drawn out and full of busywork that frankly has nothing to do with our ultimate goal of meeting our Heavenly Father again and reaching the Celestial Kingdom."  I find that an odd thought that your work at Church is viewed as having nothing to do with meeting Heavenly Father.  That work has EVERYTHING to do with it.  That's why, when we need sanity time, we find that time in other activities, not those that involve doing His work.

14 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Well, that was disingenuous.

So, your answer to too tired for Sunday is to get a higher paying job?  Not... oh I don't know... the quadzillion other things you can change of the other hours that you're not working?

But why is it your business to even comment on that? How do you know what that person's life is like? There might be quadzillion responsibilities that person has and they are doing the best they can.  

I'm not trying to goad you into an argument or anything, I just feel like this thread has become about judging each other and how they parent, or use their time or run their personal lives. If you're satisfied with the way you are running your own life, that's great. But there are many perfectly good ways to parent and  seriously, some babies need definite nap times, some people are tired on Sundays because they have to work their fannies off all week just to survive. Some people have to make a huge ginormous effort to even get out of bed, let alone dress in "Sunday best" and get themselves to church where they are super uncomfortable for a variety of reasons. It's an offering of love and dedication to the Lord of their hearts to make it for the Sacrament and that's all. 

I'm sure whatever amount of time they can spend at the church on Sundays will be noted and appreciated by the Lord. It's between them and Him.

4 minutes ago, carlimac said:

But why is it your business to even comment on that? How do you know what that person's life is like? There might be quadzillion responsibilities that person has and they are doing the best they can.  

I'm not trying to goad you into an argument or anything, I just feel like this thread has become about judging each other and how they parent, or use their time or run their personal lives. If you're satisfied with the way you are running your own life, that's great. But there are many perfectly good ways to parent and  seriously, some babies need definite nap times, some people are tired on Sundays because they have to work their fannies off all week just to survive. Some people have to make a huge ginormous effort to even get out of bed, let alone dress in "Sunday best" and get themselves to church where they are super uncomfortable for a variety of reasons. It's an offering of love and dedication to the Lord of their hearts to make it for the Sacrament and that's all. 

I'm sure whatever amount of time they can spend at the church on Sundays will be noted and appreciated by the Lord. It's between them and Him.

I am simply stating a simple concept - if 3 hours of Sunday worship gets you too tired that you wish it was only 2 hours - then something needs to change.  And it's not gonna be Sunday because the prophets make that call.  So, the way I handle it is.... I find something to change in the rest of the week so I'm not too tired by Sunday.

If giving my opinion makes me judgmental then I don't know what we're doing in this forum.

Edited by anatess2

4 minutes ago, carlimac said:

Explain your point again then because I'm not getting it. 

It's not super complicated. Make a list of everything you do during the week. Then consider which of those things are less important than church and family, and do less of those things instead.