Spectrum of Adherence to the Letter of the Law

On 10/31/2018 at 7:18 AM, Carborendum said:

There is also the other extreme where people are all about supporting gay marriage to the point that they declare the Brethren are "on the wrong side of history". 

Are there actually members who are saying this? When Christ comes again homosexuality won't be able to stand and will be thrust down. You can't get any more wrong than that. Those poor deluded people.

8 hours ago, LePeel said:

Are there actually members who are saying this? When Christ comes again homosexuality won't be able to stand and will be thrust down. You can't get any more wrong than that. Those poor deluded people.

Well, they believe that gay marriage will be eventually allowed in the same manner that blacks eventually received the priesthood.

Guest MormonGator
13 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

I used to be pretty judgmental until I really looked at me in the mirror and saw someone that needed a lot of improvement.

Amen bud. Same here. As a younger man I loved pointing out the flaws and failures of others, especially what I perceived as moral ones. As I matured I began to realize that doing that made me ignore my own.   

13 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Why do you always think movies are rated R that aren't?

I'm not certain about Forest Gump, but in the 80s (and maybe sometimes in the 90s, unsure) movies had different ratings on different coasts.  I'm not sure why.

This meant that sometimes a movie that was rated PG in the East was rated R in the West or vice versa.  I believe this also extended somewhat to the 90s but normally it was a PG-13 and an R rating that was switched.

If I recall there were a few Teen movies that were rated R in one location and I was surprised to find that it was rated PG in another. 

Today, most of those movies that were rated R but were PG in another go by the lower rating they were given rather than the higher rating.

13 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

I'm not certain about Forest Gump, but in the 80s (and maybe sometimes in the 90s, unsure) movies had different ratings on different coasts.  I'm not sure why.

This meant that sometimes a movie that was rated PG in the East was rated R in the West or vice versa.  I believe this also extended somewhat to the 90s but normally it was a PG-13 and an R rating that was switched.

If I recall there were a few Teen movies that were rated R in one location and I was surprised to find that it was rated PG in another. 

Today, most of those movies that were rated R but were PG in another go by the lower rating they were given rather than the higher rating.

The MPAA rating got changed in 1984 to add the PG-13 rating.  Movies had PG ratings when they would have been PG13 (e.g. Sixteen Candles, Indiana Jones Temple of Doom, etc.).   If you get one of them old copies of this movie, it will have PG.  Copies printed after 1984 would reflect the PG13 rating.  Rated R changed from 16+ to 17+ back in the early 70's so there might be some movies (none that I know of) that were Rated R in the 70's that became Rated PG prior to 1984 and then became PG13 after 1984.

Forrest Gump was 1994 and was PG13.  There are intense war scenes and sexual sounds (action is inside the house with the camera focused on Gump on the front porch who heard all the sounds) and then there's tons of drug use.

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I don't see how that could be since it a NATIONAL rating system.  The MPAA has been the arbiter of ratings since 1968.  No other organization offers these same ratings letters because they are specifically MPAA ratings.  Notice that the TV ratings and video game ratings are a completely different set of letters.  I suspect it is a copyright or trademark or something along those lines.  No one else is allowed to use the same letters for this purpose because of the confusion that would result.

I suspect that you may have experienced the phenomenon with copy cat movies.  Some movies are remade (sometimes in the same year) with a low budget version with a different rating.  That may have been what you saw.

Edited by Guest

It's my age showing perhaps.  I recall that there used to be movies that I'd see were rated R on one coast, but then flying into the West those same movies would be rated PG.  All of them now days go by the lower rating, but there were some that had higher ratings depending on the coast you were on.  The same thing occurs today to a similar degree between ratings (though theirs are PG12, PG15, and PG18) in the US and the UK today.

No idea why, just remember seeing it and thinking it was a tad odd.  Maybe it's the Utah effect (or maybe California effect??) movies that Mormons would not be allowed to watch in the East were being watched in droves by Mormons in the West.  I believe at least one that came to mind had to be in the 80s as I believe it was a Matthew Broderick Movies (who I think was distinctly an 80s actor at that time).

1 minute ago, JohnsonJones said:

It's my age showing perhaps.  I recall that there used to be movies that I'd see were rated R on one coast, but then flying into the West those same movies would be rated PG.  All of them now days go by the lower rating, but there were some that had higher ratings depending on the coast you were on.  The same thing occurs today to a similar degree between ratings (though theirs are PG12, PG15, and PG18) in the US and the UK today.

No idea why, just remember seeing it and thinking it was a tad odd.  Maybe it's the Utah effect (or maybe California effect??) movies that Mormons would not be allowed to watch in the East were being watched in droves by Mormons in the West.  I believe at least one that came to mind had to be in the 80s as I believe it was a Matthew Broderick Movies (who I think was distinctly an 80s actor at that time).

PG12? PG15? PG18?  Are you just making stuff up for effect?  What are you talking about.  There never was such a thing.  There's G, PG, PG-13, R, & NC-17.  Then there are the unrated movies for various reasons.

I do know that there have been some movies which were labelled incorrectly in some theaters.  That may be another explanation for what you witnessed (if you actually saw it or just heard about it).  And sometimes, some Canadians compared with folks south of their border and found how the rating systems didn't quite line up with their supposed equivalent.

I'm really trying to figure out alternative explanations for you.  But apart from mistakes being made in labeling, it simply couldn't have happened as you're describing.

I know different countries have different rating systems.  

I also know if you let Hollywood tell you which movies you should watch and which you should avoid, you'll end up, well, you'll end up letting Hollywood tell you which movies to watch and which to avoid.  If you think that's a good thing, more power to ya.

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

PG12? PG15? PG18?  Are you just making stuff up for effect?  What are you talking about.  There never was such a thing.  There's G, PG, PG-13, R, & NC-17.  Then there are the unrated movies for various reasons.

I do know that there have been some movies which were labelled incorrectly in some theaters.  That may be another explanation for what you witnessed (if you actually saw it or just heard about it).  And sometimes, some Canadians compared with folks south of their border and found how the rating systems didn't quite line up with their supposed equivalent.

I'm really trying to figure out alternative explanations for you.  But apart from mistakes being made in labeling, it simply couldn't have happened as you're describing.

It was a comparison of rating differences today between the UK and the US.  The UK has the ratings of PG12, PG15, and PG18.  Typically US PG movies will be either PG or PG12 in the UK and PG-13 movies will be PG12 or PG15 in the UK.  Occasionally you'll have a PG movie in the US be a PG15 in the UK and vice versa.

Wargames I think (it's been a long time, I think that was one of those that had two ratings...can't recall which ones exactly) was rated R at one time in one location in the US, but it was PG many others.  Now days, if you look it up it is only PG I think.  There were other movies that were similar to that at times.  NO idea why, except the West typically had lower ratings than the East in most movies, though there were a few that had differences.

There was an explanation though I cannot find an online link now.  It was not uncommon at the time.  I think it boiled down to the idea that though there was a standard ratings overview, there were actually two agencies that handled them, each covering two separate geographic areas of the US.  The only thing I could find was that there were two or three agencies that implemented the MPAA motion picture ratings early on but indicates that it dealt more with who specifically was distributing in the area or the movie distributers (with one refusing to use the rating system, probably because they had some of the first movies that would have been rated X at the time).  It could be that prior to the consolidation of the movie distribution in the US that this accounts for why I saw different ratings for the same movie depending on where they were showing.

I imagine those that didn't travel as much or were children at the time probably remember this though. 

Edited by JohnsonJones

11 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Well, they believe that gay marriage will be eventually allowed in the same manner that blacks eventually received the priesthood.

Homosexual marriage is like trying to make a car drive while idle. If the church were to ever allow homosexual sealings, it would lose its authority like the primitive church.

Edited by LePeel

11 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

It was a comparison of rating differences today between the UK and the US.  The UK has the ratings of PG12, PG15, and PG18.  Typically US PG movies will be either PG or PG12 in the UK and PG-13 movies will be PG12 or PG15 in the UK.  Occasionally you'll have a PG movie in the US be a PG15 in the UK and vice versa.

Wargames I think (it's been a long time, I think that was one of those that had two ratings...can't recall which ones exactly) was rated R at one time in one location in the US, but it was PG many others.  Now days, if you look it up it is only PG I think.  There were other movies that were similar to that at times.  NO idea why, except the West typically had lower ratings than the East in most movies, though there were a few that had differences.

There was an explanation though I cannot find an online link now.  It was not uncommon at the time.  I think it boiled down to the idea that though there was a standard ratings overview, there were actually two agencies that handled them, each covering two separate geographic areas of the US.  The only thing I could find was that there were two or three agencies that implemented the MPAA motion picture ratings early on but indicates that it dealt more with who specifically was distributing in the area or the movie distributers (with one refusing to use the rating system, probably because they had some of the first movies that would have been rated X at the time).  It could be that prior to the consolidation of the movie distribution in the US that this accounts for why I saw different ratings for the same movie depending on where they were showing.

I imagine those that didn't travel as much or were children at the time probably remember this though. 

And what was this supposed second rating agency called?

10 hours ago, Carborendum said:

And what was this supposed second rating agency called?

I'm not sure what either of their names were.  The MPAA is simply the Motion Picture Association of America.  When it came out the rating system was entirely voluntary.  You had different distributors and groups that were in control and were the ones to actually implement the ideas.  If I recall one group refused to cooperate with the ratings ideas and refused to rate their movies.  Others who distributed those same movies though had different ideas.  Several of the movies which came from that group that refused were some of the rated X movies at the time.  I'm not sure what eventually got them to start accepting ratings on the movies they were distributing.

There was some leeway or something in regards to how the movies were allowed to be rated by these groups.  The MPAA had specific guidelines (still does, just like the BBFC does in the UK). 

I'm not a film expert and I don't know WHY exactly these things happened or occurred.  Just an observation from back then where there would be a movie that came out that was rated R, then I would travel to somewhere else in the US and sometimes that movie might have another rating.  I asked someone why this was happening at the time and the closest I ever came to getting an answer really was that there were different people handling the way it was done in different areas. 

Obviously I can't find an answer on Google or other internet search engines on why this was, and I don't know exactly why myself.  If I could I'd give you a better answer, but I don't have one except to note that decades ago there were movies that seemed to have different ratings depending on where they were released. 

On 11/1/2018 at 1:50 PM, Anddenex said:

Personally, I truly believe, if we all put away the natural man all of us would draw the same conclusion regarding modesty. I would assume in the post-mortal realm we will not be viewing women's cleavage from the robes we will have on.

I am not sure about this.  My grandparents wore garments that went to the wrists and ankles.  They considered anything that did not cover their garments to be immodest.   A tee shirt on a 105 degree day in summer - they thought was immodest.

The Traveler

On 11/6/2018 at 2:58 PM, Traveler said:

I am not sure about this.  My grandparents wore garments that went to the wrists and ankles.  They considered anything that did not cover their garments to be immodest.   A tee shirt on a 105 degree day in summer - they thought was immodest.

The Traveler

Would you agree that Jesus and Heavenly Father draw the same conclusion regarding modesty?