Sign in to follow this  
NeuroTypical

Youth (especially YW) changes!

Recommended Posts

*wait*-- I haven't watch this afternoon (sick kid).    

*Jane checks website*

*Jane read quickly*

*Jane doesn't completely understand*   The fixing the budget to be the way it should be, that I get.  The renaming, that I get.  The dissolving YM presidencies.. that I don't completely get.  And I'm sure that there's something else I don't even know that I don't understand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

56 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

*wait*-- I haven't watch this afternoon (sick kid).    

*Jane checks website*

*Jane read quickly*

*Jane doesn't completely understand*   The fixing the budget to be the way it should be, that I get.  The renaming, that I get.  The dissolving YM presidencies.. that I don't completely get.  And I'm sure that there's something else I don't even know that I don't understand. 

The bishopric form the presidency of the Aaronic priesthood. This is simply removing the middle man (men) in carrying out those responsibilities. 

Edited by laronius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, laronius said:

The bisho

The bishopric form the presidency of the Aaronic priesthood. This is simply removing the middle man (men) in carrying out those responsibilities. 

Yes, but it does make me wonder about overloading bishops.  

I'm also curious as to the changes they say will be announced during tonight's women's sessions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Yes, but it does make me wonder about overloading bishops.  

I'm also curious as to the changes they say will be announced during tonight's women's sessions.  

In the talk Elder Cook also referenced how much bishops should be off-loading onto EQ and RS presidents and their councilors. There was a useful diagram showing only four things the bishop cannot delegate: youth, caring for others, finances and being a judge. Everything else can and should get delegated (with exceptions of course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, laronius said:

In the talk Elder Cook also referenced how much bishops should be off-loading onto EQ and RS presidents and their councilors. There was a useful diagram showing only four things the bishop cannot delegate: youth, caring for others, finances and being a judge. Everything else can and should get delegated (with exceptions of course).

That's interesting! 

I missed an interesting talk while tending to sick kid :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the changes will actually alter much in practice.  I think existing Young Men's Presidencies will just continue a similar role as advisers.  They already don't actually hold any keys.  I think mentally, the change will shift the logical understanding of the role of the Quorum presidencies back to how they were intended to be from the beginning; the presidencies and quorum members will simply be given guidance as they are held accountable to their stewardship.  This is an effective tool to both separate the wheat from the tares as well as to help the wheat grow strong in good ground.  That said, when I was in a YMP a few years ago, we were already trying to follow this type of model.  Hopefully this shift simply drives the concept home more efficiently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, person0 said:

I don't think the changes will actually alter much in practice.  I think existing Young Men's Presidencies will just continue a similar role as advisers.  They already don't actually hold any keys.  I think mentally, the change will shift the logical understanding of the role of the Quorum presidencies back to how they were intended to be from the beginning; the presidencies and quorum members will simply be given guidance as they are held accountable to their stewardship.  This is an effective tool to both separate the wheat from the tares as well as to help the wheat grow strong in good ground.  That said, when I was in a YMP a few years ago, we were already trying to follow this type of model.  Hopefully this shift simply drives the concept home more efficiently.

True. If we read the Handbook, these changes are already there (as to who leads out); however, removing the calling of a young men presidency I believe will help move this forward. As the current YMP in my ward I am thinking I will be released and called as an advisor. I have been telling our YMP and young men that I am President of young mens only by name/title, but that they should realize who truly leads. Then I would ask them who truly is the Young Men's President -- Bishop. Who truly leads the Teacher's quorum and Deacon's quorum -- those with keys. I am truly hoping the young men will seek to live up to this privilege, honor, and trust from the Lord.

But, I am assuming now, I no longer have to have YMP meetings. We

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this