Stake Conference...

Ironhold

15 minutes ago, Vort said:

My beefs with Seattle-area drivers are:

1. They don't seem to know how to drive in the rain. Astounding, given Seattle's constant drizzle.

2. Even though it snows enough to stick on the roads almost every year and often multiple times in a winter, Seattleites totally forget from one year to the next how to drive in icy conditions.

3. Aggressive drivers are bad, but passive aggressive drivers are almost as bad.

4. Even politeness is taken to an extreme. In city driving, I often have other drivers "politely" wave me across to e.g. turn left in front of them. I have taken to remaining stonily motionless until they use their right-of-way. It doesn't seem to occur to them that if I turned left in front of them and they then drove into me, it would be MY fault. I'm all for polite driving, but do you know what's even better than polite driving? Driving according to the rules of the road. In the 80/20 model, the rules of the road are the 80 and being polite to others is the 20.

No doubt, those are all very frustrating. I’ve heard people say the same thing about Boston drivers. 

I make it a point to never get angry or frustrated when I’m driving. I pay attention to the roads of course but I’m always listening to music, podcasts, books. Keeps me centered 

9 hours ago, Vort said:

1. They don't seem to know how to drive in the rain. Astounding, given Seattle's constant drizzle.

I'm starting to think that's everywhere.  Every place I've lived the same thing has been said.

12 hours ago, laronius said:

As a rule I have found the Saturday evening adult session to be very fulfilling. But I'm with you on the Sunday session. I'd rather just have regular church.

For me it's been the opposite. 

When I was a teenager, stake leadership kept sounding the drumbeat of "All men must go on missions, and all women must consider any man who doesn't to be ineligible for marriage." 

The evening sessions were historically used for hammering the point home (as were many fifth Sundays), and because I didn't go on a mission due to the then-current family situation (my help was needed in caring for an elderly relative) it got to where I came to loathe stake conference. It didn't help that my dad would light me up if I didn't go or if I walked out because I couldn't take it anymore and needed space. 

11 hours ago, Ironhold said:

For me it's been the opposite. 

When I was a teenager, stake leadership kept sounding the drumbeat of "All men must go on missions, and all women must consider any man who doesn't to be ineligible for marriage." 

The evening sessions were historically used for hammering the point home (as were many fifth Sundays), and because I didn't go on a mission due to the then-current family situation (my help was needed in caring for an elderly relative) it got to where I came to loathe stake conference. It didn't help that my dad would light me up if I didn't go or if I walked out because I couldn't take it anymore and needed space. 

Sorry that happened to you. 😞 

My daughter repeated something worthy of comment and tangentially related to the topic.  This was from YSA bishopric, not a stake conference.

The entire bishopric basically told the congregation that if you don't end up married after you "time out" (my words, not theirs) then it isn't the end of the world.

My daughter then said that it seems sad that there simply aren't enough people who even want to get married.  They just want to hang out and have fun.  Well, there is a strong innuendo there, even in LDS circles. 

Many of the women in the ward want careers instead of children and family.  Many of the men have decided that simple minimum wage jobs will be fine for their lifestyles.  Why bother with climbing the ladder?  No one wants to get married anyway.  So, why do I need to make money and support anyone but myself?

I need to note that this isn't a side-effect of feminism or of LGBTQ... ideology.  It is a feature.  And even if most participants don't realize it, the originators intended it to be the endgame.